Underwater Camera

texas34

I saw on You-tube that you could put a regular camera into a zip lock bag. I wonder if this would work:confused:. I might try it with an old or a cheap digital camera.

Before we got our Olympus underwater camera, I used my Casio Exilim EX-V7 in a Dicapak. Did a decent enough job but nothing more than a glorified, heavy duty zip lock bag.

i got a fji xp last year for my cruise. i loved the pictures it was taking. but as soon as i jumped in the ocean to take pics of the stingrays it stopped working. so no snorkel pics, nothing underwater. I got it replaced and love it!

just my word of advice. no matter which one you chose, immerse it first in a sink. manufacture defects do happen.

my fuji has done me well now, i do recommend it.

Got the Kodak sports from Target. Under 100 dollars.

Unfortunately I don't think the Kodak has auto focus. If it's the one Im thinking of it's fixed focus which means the picture quality will be about the same as the disposables. If OP doesn't mind this and just wants a cheap camera, it may be good enough though. For not much more, the others have more features.

Unfortunately I don't think the Kodak has auto focus. If it's the one Im thinking of it's fixed focus which means the picture quality will be about the same as the disposables. If OP doesn't mind this and just wants a cheap camera, it may be good enough though. For not much more, the others have more features.

Auto focus will not matter to much with underwater images.

Your underwater image distance will be limited to under 10ft,

more like 3-4ft., ie: the limit of your flash. You will find you start to lose hot colors at 9-10ft no matter how powerful your flash might me.

To keep it simple, keep subjects under a body length away ( yours ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_photography

I suspect the focal sweet spot of the camera I posted is about 3.5ft-5ft. the images at that distance are crystal clear clear if the water is.

Personally I would stay away from the Kodak. We live an hour away from Rochester, the home of Kodak. They are in bankruptcy court right now and have said they are no longer going to make any digital camaras. They claim they will stand by their warranties, but the mood is very gloomy around here with fears they might go out of business all together. It's not looking good for Kodak.

Archived