What is Category MX on NCL EPic?

CaseyCip22

Hello, hubs and I are going on our first Mediterranean Cruise in May. We booked the lowest priced mini-suite, category MX. After exploring the deck plans, I find that category MX is made up pf only two (yes 2!) rooms on deck 8. That seems a bit odd. Has anyone ever stayed in these? Is there something strange?horribly wrong with them that there are only two in the entire ship? Is it a blocked balcony? Next to the laundry room or something? Any info would be very helpful. Thanks!

-C-

Oddly, the two MX rooms aren't even in the exact same location on the port and starboard sides. On one side it is the more forward Mini-suite, but on the other side it is not, there is one other room further forward. I believe the room numbers are 8049 and 8050. Has anyone had either of these rooms on the Epic and can give me a bit of insight? Thanks!!

Hi there :) Don't have any personal insight but I did run across a few reviews that included some info. on cabin 8049: copying the info. below:

1st is from a review here - the info. on 8049 is towards the bottom:

Our cabin:

Our cabin was #9029 which is a balcony cabin on the starboard side near the front of the ship. The cabin was about what we expected from reading reviews on Cruise Critic. We did have a very large balcony which was wonderful. Our room steward’s name was Valentino and he did a fantastic job keeping the room looking spotless, and had an amazing ability to have our room made up no matter how long we had been gone!

My sister and her husband were two doors down from us in #9025 and also were impressed with Valentino. They requested a lounger for their balcony, and not only did he bring them one, he brought us one as well! It made the balcony such a nice place to catch a cap nap in the afternoons!

My brother and his fiance were in an owners suite (#17032) and we got the chance to check it out and it was spectacular! To quote Ferris Beuller, “If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” We do not, however, have the means, and were quite happy with our balcony stateroom. Speaking of the staterooms, the bathrooms were a complete non-issue. The sinks were a non-issue, and the beds, although short, were very comfortable and a non issue. I recommend booking a balcony stateroom with the bed near the balcony so you will have more room to stand near the sink. There was tons of storage space.

My other brother stayed in a Studio room. We checked that out and it is perfect for one. Pretty cool area. He did attend a couple of the daily mixers for singles, but he was one of the youngest people there.

My parents stayed in a deluxe balcony (#8049), and they had a longer room with a little bit more storage, but a smaller balcony than we had. I wouldn’t have traded cabins.

This 2nd one is also on cabin 8049:

Cabins: They were very unique and visually attractive but we had a large balcony. We had friends with a regular balcony and there wasn't enough floor space to pass each other trying to get from one end of cabin to the other! Worst part was the design of the bathroom! You enter the room and the toilet is to your right and the shower to your left. They were inclosed in frosted glass and all that separated them from the main part of a cabin was a curtain you could close. If your room service was being delivered while you are showering or using the toilet, you had NO privacy...no way to get to main part of cabin without walking through the bathroom. I have never seen a front door enter a living space through a bathroom. I hated that! The bed seemed to be a few inches shorter than a standard bed. I am 6 feet tall and while asleep my feet would hang over the edge several inches, my husband would have to wake me to get around my legs to get to the bathroom in the night. BAD design!

The only other info. I've really noticed is a thread here on Cruise Critic - the general consensus is that this particular category is being used as a "foot in the door" category (i.e., "priced from" and that once these 2 cabins are gone, folks must spend more to get a cabin in this sort of category - here's the link for that thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29184904

I checked a few other sites that do reviews of cabins and decks, pros and cons, pictures and what not, but as of yet, noone has submitted anything for those two cabins.

Hope this info. is somewhat helpful, sorry I couldn't give any further specifics.

Have a great cruise!

~ Rachel :)

Hi - I had cabin 8049 on the 9/9 sailing but gave it up this morning due to concerns about noise from deck 7 - the Bliss Lounge. Apparently this noise does travel up into the deck 8 forward cabins. Otherwise the cabin looks great. Someone even has a youtube video review of this exact cabin!

Oh wow thanks guys! Those reviews and the video are very helpful.

Eurosteve, the Bliss Lounge seems to be a bit more forward than these two rooms. Where did you hear of the noise issues? Honestly I'm usually so wiped on cruises that I probably won't have any trouble sleeping, but I am curious.

Schpoomie those reviews are a great find, thanks. Seems like from their writings, the 9th floor folks had the "Large Balcony" category. Honestly the balcony in the video for these two 8th floor rooms looks big enough for me!

Having the life boat right there seems like it's the only thing that might be annoying. Although I don't usually find myself looking straight DOWN at the ocean, rather than sitting and looking OUT, while enjoying my balcony. So...maybe it's not a big deal. Oh, and I guess with that layout I'm not getting a tub either. Boo, I love tubs. Oh well. Eh, I'll show it to hubs and see what he thinks, maybe we'll upgrade after doing our taxes, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your help gang. We made final payment the other day and were assigned stateroom 8184. Through fishing around here I've discovered that we've got a fully covered balcony (but not the "enclosed" one) and the bed is closer to the door, so I doubt I have a tub. Also, the lifeboats that far aft are still RIGHT below the balcony. Maybe I might upgrade to a higher floor, what do you guys think? I've never gotten an upgrade offer before, what usually happens? Any opinions are welcome :)

Archived