Which street has more arts/crafts handicrafts?

elou

We were in OSJ for two days prior to our cruise, and I didn't really see any place with arts and handicrafts. Lots of souvenir stores, though.

Is it possible that you were in OSJ during the San Sebastian Street Festival? From what I hear, they have people selling handicrafts in some of the plazas during that time. Or possibly Princessa plaza? When we walked that, a couple of people did seem to be putting up craft market style tents, but we were there midmorning, so anything that they were doing would have started later in the day.

It all depends on what day you're in port, I think. On the weekends, you'll see lots of craft vendors at Plaza Darzena (that's not the correct spelling, but I think that's how I pronounce it!) which is to the left of the cruise dock. I bought some local crafts from there on more than one occasion, and my co-worker was thrilled with the little $1 clay item I bought her (I think it was $1!). I usually buy the local instruments when I'm in San Juan, and there's a guy who's usually there selling them. I made my friends buy them so they could participate in the sing-a-longs at that plaza at night.

I'm trying to organize my photos now from my last trip to San Juan. I took photos of the local craft stores, but not the streets so I have to Google to find the addresses. If/when I finish, I'll post the info, but for now, hopefully you can visit the Plaza to the left of the cruise dock!

I was reading the port guide put up today and saw this info about San Juan. Hope you find it helpful.

A new find on our most recent visit to Old San Juan was the pocket-sized Plaza Arturo Somohano. Just a block behind the Sheraton Old San Juan (located at pier central), this tree-shaded park is home to artisans, who sell hand-made and designed crafts. They must be approved by the government to open stalls (no "made in China" stuff here). While vendors vary, on my trip, there were beautifully scented soaps from Taino Soapworks (the anise lavender is a favorite), hand-tooled leather belts, pretty (and reasonably priced) beach-glass jewelry, gourds and coconut shells and charming, hand-made, burlap handbags.

Archived