Pool Question

We are sailing next on the Explorer (mar/06) and have only cruised Princess, one reason being the fresh water pools. Can anyone tell me if RCCL have salt water pools? And when they say salt water, is it like ocean salt water or more like the type of backyard saline pools?? Thanks

My first cruise on MOS 10/95, they seemed to always be refilling the pools each morning. I found that the water got somewhat "brackish" as the day went on - I assume because of the sun, body oils, lotions, etc. Didn't notice that during my second cruise on NOS 11/03. Maybe the "filtering" process has been improved?

My first cruise on MOS 10/95, they seemed to always be refilling the pools each morning. I found that the water got somewhat "brackish" as the day went on - I assume because of the sun, body oils, lotions, etc. Didn't notice that during my second cruise on NOS 11/03. Maybe the "filtering" process has been improved?

Not sure what you mean by "brackish" ? The water in the pools on the Radiance were crystal clear from morning til night......I think you may be right about the filtration process being improved.

RCI has all salt water pools :( My preference is freshwater too.....oh well.

The water is less "salty" than the ocean, but you can still feel ( and taste) the salt.

do they actually draw the water from the ocean?? I would think it would be very corrosive unless they draw alot of the salt out.

A deck crew member on the Explorer told me that they do pump in the water from the ocean into the pools. He said something about there being access to a lot of water, with it being a ship and all :)

To ease your troubled mind, there are 4 freshwater showers available right adjacent to the pool. This is where you could rinse your eyes, face, body and mouth from the salty taste.

And of course, nothing chases away salt water better than a foo-foo drink in a souvenir cup! :D

Not sure what you mean by "brackish" ?

I had the same question. I'll go ask my walking dictionary, Naren, if he's ever heard of this word.

Then I'll prepare myself for the usual barrage of questions …. What did I do in school? Did I ever take English? How can I live in this country and not speak the language …? :)

Not sure what you mean by "brackish" ? The water in the pools on the Radiance were crystal clear from morning til night......I think you may be right about the filtration process being improved.

From dictionary.com:

1. Having a somewhat salty taste, especially from containing a mixture of seawater and fresh water: “You could cut the brackish winds with a knife/Here in Nantucket” (Robert Lowell).
  2. Distasteful; unpalatable: a thin, brackish gruel.

Might be the "New England" in me coming out (of course I'm a Floridian now) - brackish usually refers to standing water, such as in a salt water marsh.

Archived