Chacchoben Ruins Question

dolfin6857

We've booked a Chacchoben Ruins tour (mostly for the history & it seemed to have the shortest "travel time" each way).

For those of you who have gone, did you enjoy it? Anything we need/should know ahead of time? Can you take video or only still shots?

Thanks in advance :)

I absolutely loved Chacchoben. It's in a pretty, jungle-y setting; the structures are impressive; and you're allowed to climb a couple of them, at least part-way. There's a fair amount of walking, but you linger at several sites while the guide explains what you're seeing, so it wasn't overwhelming. The terrain is basically level.

Take all the still shots you desire. If you bring a video camera, you have to pay a fee (I think it's $10) to use it.

There's a gift shop that sells beautiful, supposedly native-made glassware. (How one would get these items back home, I don't know.) They accept American currency, but no credit cards. There were no high-pressure sales pitches. If you use the nearby bathroom, be prepared to tip the attendant.

You're in a jungle, so don't forget to wear insect repellent. Sunscreen is also a good idea, though there are plenty of trees for shade. Bring a couple water bottles as well.

The ride from the port to the site is about an hour each way, and it's pretty dull. Don't expect much in the way of scenery.

Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived