Scuba & contacts & other

SCR

My sister and I are cruising on the Extasy to Cozmel in June. I have many questions as I am a first time cruiser.:confused:

1. I have talked her into going on a beginner dive at that port. We both wear contacts. Will this be a problem?

2. What do you do with your money, room key, personal stuff while you are scuba diving?

3. I keep reading about scuba with Allison. It seems to be one of the more reccommended sites. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for all the help.

My sister and I are cruising on the Extasy to Cozmel in June. I have many questions as I am a first time cruiser.:confused:
I'll have a go at answering these questions.

1. I have talked her into going on a beginner dive at that port. We both wear contacts. Will this be a problem?
Nope, shouldn't be a problem. Some people do get the disposable contacts to wear while diving; they do cost less if you loose one, which is unlikely.

2. What do you do with your money, room key, personal stuff while you are scuba diving?
If you are diving from the boat, just leave it on the boat in your bag. I'd put stuff I wanted to be sure to stay dry in a plastic bag. If you do the dive from shore, ask the operator for a place to put your stuff. They will also have stuff to leave on shore, so they will probably have a place.

3. I keep reading about scuba with Allison. It seems to be one of the more recommended sites. Is this a correct assumption?
I have read many recommendations for Allison, but more so on some scuba diving message boards than here. The usual dive operator recommended here is http://www.eagleraydivers.com on Cozumel. I personally really liked http://www.bluextseadiving.com .The owner, Christi provides excellent service. She is popular and fills up, so I'd contact her soon to see if she has space. If she doesn't, I'd ask her for recommendations and trust who she recommends. There are at least 70 dive operators in Cozumel, most of them are pretty good. You can also do Discover Scuba at Chankanaab park.

Hope this helps.

As usual, Bruce is right on. Our two cents:

We both wear contacts. Will this be a problem?

Get a good-fitting mask and it shouldn't be a problem (although if you decide to dive on a regular basis a prescription mask will help you see better). But understand there is a risk of losing a lens--bring a spare pair!

I keep reading about scuba with Allison. It seems to be one of the more reccommended sites.

Depends on what you mean by "beginner dive." I believe Alison does do "resort course" (for non-certified divers) diving but only rarely as her schedule is generally full. If you're certified but inexperienced, I'd highly recommend Alison as she is great at leading very mixed-level divers. When we dove with her she had divers ranging from a honeymooner who had finished her certification dives the day before to Leo who has 1,000+ dives. A great time was had by all.

Kathi & Leo

3. I keep reading about scuba with Allison. It seems to be one of the more reccommended sites. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for all the help.

1. I've been wearing contacts forever, and have done 129 dives without losing one yet! BUT I always do keep a spare pair (or two) when vacationing just in case!

2. 'Ditto' Bruce-r .... however, if we do shore diving somewhere where they don't have lockers, we purchased a small drybox (good to 100 ft) that we clip to our BC and carry out keys, money, sunglasses, etc.

3. LOVE Alison ... she's a ton of fun, and I think as a DM, she keeps a very good eye on her divers. We used her on our 2 recent cruises, and had a great time!

Archived