Curling irons and straighteners

jendog

I thought these items were aloud on a cruise but I've read where they are taking these items out of people's suitcases. Everyone in my party needs one or the other how can I get these items on the ship? Should I pack them in our carry on?

The way to look at it, pretty much any device that is considered a "heating" appliance, will be taken away at security and given back the morning of disembarkation.

Makes no difference if it is carry-on or packed with regular luggage. It has to go thru an x-ray machine. Some people luck out but MOST don't.

Edited by Edward John Smith

I thought these items were aloud on a cruise but I've read where they are taking these items out of people's suitcases. Everyone in my party needs one or the other how can I get these items on the ship? Should I pack them in our carry on?

I read that to in a recent review. I've always taken both my straightener and curling iron and never had a problem. I seriously NEED these items or i'm a hot mess. I hope its not true.

The way to look at it, pretty much any device that is considered a "heating" appliance, will be taken away at security and given back the morning of disembarkation.

Makes no difference if it is carry-on or packed with regular luggage. It has to go thru an x-ray machine. Some people luck out but MOST don't.

I don't think straighteners and curling irons are what they mean. They are even listed on the Carnival website as items you can bring. I've brought them on every cruise i've been on and never been questioned. Ever.

This is what I found on Carnivals website:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I knew that they were allowed but I've read where they have been taking them that's why I thought I would ask. I guess it depends on the mood of the bag checkers that day.:D

Also depends on the condition of the straightener and curling iron. If that worried about it then I would print out a copy of Carnival's items allowed page and carry it with me to show the person that would confiscate the irons that it is an allowed item(s).

Edited by ready2cruzagain

In my 5 cruises I've always taken 2 curling irons, a fusion iron, an 1875 watt hairdryer and ext cord. No probs whatsoever. However, I treat my heating tools pretty rough, so if they are looking rough for wear I buy new ones prior to cruising. I've always had them in my checked luggage, often stuffed in hubby's shoes, LOL! But not to hide them, just to keep more valuable space available in the suitcase.

Edited by BeccaBecca1713

You should have no problems taking your flat iron, blow dryer, extension cord, power strip, etc - as long as they are in good condition & pose no safety hazard. Either checked luggage or carry-on, doesn't matter. No worries....

I just got off the Magic a few weeks ago. I brought my flat iron and my friend had a curling iron. Neither of us had any problems getting them on board. Mine was in my packed luggage since I was flying and didn't want to carry it on the plane.

I was wondering about this as well. On our cruise in October on the Pride my cousin had her flat iron and curler taken away from her and given back at the end of the trip. It sounds like a hit and miss wether or not you get to keep it with you or not. :(

I was wondering about this as well. On our cruise in October on the Pride my cousin had her flat iron and curler taken away from her and given back at the end of the trip. It sounds like a hit and miss wether or not you get to keep it with you or not. :(

It all depends on the shape of the item. If it is not in good shape, cords look like they might be fraying then they are most likely taken away. If possible get new ones right before the trip.

We had 16 women who just got off the Destiny last week. We all had curling irons, hairdryers and flat irons and none of them got taken away. I did lose my clothes iron mid week on the Fascination last year when I left it out. I had to pick it up from the naughty room the last night. ( I really didn't know it wasn't allowed.).

I bring my own dryer b/c I don't think the ones in the bathroom aree very powerful. I think they look like a vacuum cleaner.