Overdue Review - Radiance and Denali, with pictures

ULCajunCruiser

I have been meaning to put something together for months now, finally figured out how to get pictures into the post, so gonna try and get it started. I'm not much of a writer, and not a professional photographer either, but hope I can give upcoming cruisers an idea of what to expect. Also, I'm just chockerblock full of opinions, know some facts, be happy to share either with you if you ask!! ;)

We (my DW and I, and 2 other couples) took the Radiance Northbound in August of 2011. Once we disembarked in Seward, we did a DIY to Denali where we spent 3 days/2 nights.

DAY 1: Embarking

OK, they said don't do it. I will tell you guys don't do it. But we did it anyway (no choices, our hands were tied) We caught a flight early morning from New Orleans to Vancouver :eek:. Again don't do this, fly in the night before, you'll sleep easier!! But we made it. Flight was 2 hours late leaving Dallas, and thus 2 hours late getting into Vancouver, but we had booked a van from RideBooker, and the guy was there waiting on us, THANK YOU JESUS!!! Made it to the pier in about 45 minutes, and walked into a huge crowd. Probably took another 1 1/2 hours to get onto the ship, but we got onboard in plenty of time!!!

Beautiful ship, my first time cruising with RCCL and was suitably impressed with the decor. Our cabin (we had a balcony on the hump) was very nice and we didn't have any complaints.

DAY 2: Sea Day, Inside Passage

What can I say???? I'm from Louisiana, have travelled a little, but was in awe of what I could see sitting on my balcony!!!! And it got better every day!!!!! Pretty much spent our day exploring the ship, playing trivia and bingo, and enjoying the occasional adult beverage! ;)

How about waking up to this???

20063610-InsidePassagescenery06.jpg

Took that standing on the back of the ship, around 6:36 in the morning!

DAY 3: KETCHIKAN

As was to be expected, we woke up to a drizzly morning in Ketchikan Harbor. But it did not slow us down at all. Our plans for today were to walk around town sightseeing, go to the creek to see salmon, and then an afternoon flight tour with Island Wings to Misty Fjords. All were accomplished. The only negative was that the flight tour was kindy dreary because of the overcast weather, so might not have been as dazzling as it could have been.

Ketchikan #1

21060044-Ketchikandockcity03.jpg

Ketchikan #2

21073810-Ketchikandockcity06.jpg

DAY 4: Icy Stait Point

OK, this was a great day!!! Spent the morning just walking around the area, and shopping in tthe Hoonah Mall :rolleyes: For our afternoon we have the combo whale watch/bear search. Rained hard on us while whale watching :(, but we did see whales (15 to 20)!! Didn't get pictures of any breaches, but we did actually see 1. Have tons of pictures of whales backs and tails though! :) But we did see bears!!!! Mother and 3 cubs, it was awesome, they walked right by us, probably no more than 30 yards away!!! Here are the pics:

Icy Strait Point 1

21171245-Ketchikanleaving02.jpg

Icy Strait Point 2

22083815-sceneryfromship04.jpg

The Radiance from shore 1

22095032-Radiancefromshore01.jpg

DAY 5: Juneau

:( Another rainy day. Ruled out us going to the top of Mt Roberts. Our excursion today is a helicopter flight and landing on Mendenhall Glacier. Awesome experience, really beautiful despite the weather. Just spent the rest of the day shopping in Juneau.

Helicopters at airport

23104527-Helicopter02.jpg

Helicopters on Mendenhall

23113347-sceneryfromhelicopter15.jpg

ULCajuncruiser

Your photos are stunning - thank you soooo much for sharing - I could have cried (with excitement) when I saw those bears with their cubs - we were lucky enough to see a mum and cub by the roadside on Vancouver Island a couple of years ago - but your shot of the mum and cub with the salmon is something else! :D:D And the whales and the eagle ..... :D

Even with the weather - and we're used to that sort of weather here LOL! - it's just stunning.

Can't wait to show the DH when he gets in later. Have been once to Louisiana with the DH when he was attending a meeting in Lafayette and a course at Baton Rouge. It was hot!

Thanks again!:D

DAY 7: SEA DAY & HUBBARD GLACIER[/color]

Woke up on the morning of Day 6 as we were entering Yakutak Bay near Hubbard Glacier. It was COLD!!!! But got out there and took another 100 pictures or so of this magnificent glacier. Again, these pictures do not do justice to the inspiring beauty of the area!!!! We did see several instances of calving. Despite all this, I believe that this is a glacier that is still advancing (or getting bigger)!!! :D[/color]

Entering Yakutak Bay

25065339-YakutatBay05.jpg

Yakutak Bay 2

25074134-HubbardGlacier02.jpg

Turner Glacier

25081047-TurnerGlacier02.jpg

Edited by ULCajunCruiser

Day 8: Seward to Denali National Park

:( Our cruise is over, but we're moving on to Denali!!! :D

A quick recap, even though we got rained on a couple of days, it really didn't stop us from doing anything we had planned. We knew it was gonna rain, and we were ready for it. I was completely satisfied with our cruise, it was everything we expected and more. My words and pictures cannot begin to show the natural beauty that we found everywhere!! It was truly the cruise of a lifetime for us.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask away. I'm more than happy to talk about this trip. I can try to explain what we decided to do, and why. I got so much info from this board while I was planning the trip, I'm more than happy to try to pay some of that back!!

Seward Terminal

26062224-Sewarddock01.jpg

Park Connection Bus (what we took from Seward to Anchorage)

26100820-BustoAnchorage01.jpg

Mt McKinley, our first view, from the Airport in Anchorage, from about 130 miles

26131015-MtMcKinley01.jpg

Edited by ULCajunCruiser

DAY 9: Kantishna Experience Bus Tour

This is our day at DNP. It was nothing short of awesome!! We saw more bears and Dall sheep. The moutain was out in all its glory. This tour took us all the way into the park, about 92 miles. We decided to take a flight back to the Lodge from Katishna which gave us even more views of the mighty Alaskan Range!!! I have 100's of pics from today, obviously can't put them all here,but will try and get you guys at least one of everything.

As I understand it, our first view of the mountain was from about 70 miles away, and the closest we got to it, we were still 30 miles away. I had read so much about our chances of actually seeing the mountain were no better than 1 in 3, so I was thrilled with the views we had. But I also understand why its like that, because by the time went from the Eilson Visitors center to Wonder Lake, maybe an hour or so, the moutain went from completely visible to completely hidden! :( Happend like that, in less than an hour!! So I did not get pictures from thw back side (Wonder Lake side) cause by then it was completely hidden!!

Early Day view

27073339-bustourscenery003.jpg

Dall Sheep

27074107-dallsheep01.jpg

More scenery

27074509-bustourscenery005.jpg