Can't swim but love the water

free spirit

I can't swim at all although would love to put my face in the water in Nassau and CooCoo Cay, Bahamas. I hear there is a "kiddie area" for individuals like myself to snorkle (well sort of) in CooCoo Cay. Is this true? Would anyone have any suggestions for me? :)

You can snorkel off the beach in CocoCay. As I can recall, you can walk out pretty far as it stays shallow, but the good stuff to see is further out in the deeper water. You can still stick your face in the water off the beach, although you won't see much except a few tiny fish and a lot of sea grass and sand. You can rent rafts though, so maybe you could take one of those and go out just a bit further to see more interesting stuff. You are required to wear a snorkel vest too, no matter what your level of experience. They also have life guards out there on wave runners if you run into trouble.

I think in Nassau your only choice would be a snorkel excursion. With a snorkel vest you could probably even handle this if you couldn't swim, but it does get a bit crazy as the boat is usually loaded and they go snorkel where there are other boats and tons of people in the water so its not very much fun. And speaking from experience as someone who's snorkeled in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Belize, Nassau was (yawn) boring so you won't be missing anything. :)

Free Spirit,

Are you a poor swimmer just because you can't float well? If so, you can still enjoy snorkeling and diving. Leo's a terrible swimmer (sinks like a rock and could just barely pass his swim test) but is a military-certified rescue diver. When one is wearing a wetsuit, fins, etc. one is so bouyant it's almost impossible to sink!

Another option for non-swimmers who love the water is snuba. We've never tried it but it appears that it entails walking on the seafloor while tethered to an air source above water.

Kathi & Leo

I know what you are going through. I do not swim but love the water. I have even taken swimming lessons TWICE but I don't like to get water in my eyes and nose. I don't like to be in water over my head but I can float on my back with no problem. Several years ago I went snorkeling in Cozumel. I put the mask on TIGHT so no water could get in and I used the blown up vest. I had no problem. It was a lot of fun, even though I was quite far out from the shore. You Can Do It TOO!!!!

Free Spirit -

I'm not much of a swimmer myself but my DH and I went snorkeling in Belize for the first time in January and I absolutely loved it!! I had a life vest on and I felt totally comfortable even though we were in very deep water. We're going to the Bahamas on the 3-day Wonder in October and I can't wait to go on another snorkeling excursion!! (I think we're going to book independantly with Stuart Cove's). I can't answer your question but I just wanted to give you some encouragement that you may be able to enjoy a true snorkel experience even though you can't swim.

just to echo what everyone else has said.. you don't need to be much of a swimmer to snorkel.. esp with the vest.. in addition you are super bouyant in salt water compared to what you are accustomed to in a pool or lake at home..

I would recommend going the first time with a private snorkel operation (you can book one in most ports that feature snorkeling) as opposed to a cruise line excursion, as there will be far fewer people on the boat and you will get personalized instruction and supervision.. give it a try, you'll love it!!

Archived