GPS - Rent From Car Rental Co. or Bring From Home

genman36

My wife and I and another couple are going on the POA in May. I've been doing research on CC and find it very helpfull.

Question - What advantages are there to renting a GPS from the car rental company vs bringing one from home? I read somewhere that the car compaies units have pre-programed POI's and return addresses. I also read that some of them will tell you interesting facts as you drive by certain areas. I'm sure our Tom Tom from home won't do that.

Looking forward to our trip. Many thanks in advance!

Genman

I cruised POA last month and Thrifty was charging $12.95 a day for GPS. That could really add up if you are renting a car nearly every day. We had to rent one in Hilo because we forgot ours on the ship; the one benefit was that it did have a sort of travel guide feature that would point out stops and give you the history of things as we passed by, but my husband said you can download those things onto your GPS before you leave.

All the other days we used our Garmin. We didn't pre-program it (mainly because I was being lazy), but we rarely had any trouble finding our points of interest in the GPS, and the couple of times we did we just did a quick search on our phone to get the location's exact address, punched that in, and got there easily. Definitely worth the $100 or so we saved by bringing our own.

Just purchased a Garmin Numi 50 x model something or other. The new one anyway. On sale at Staples for $139 with free map upgrades. Here is your tip of the day. Figured for ten days in Hawai'i it is paid for instead of renting one each day. Word of advise although most GPS say they include maps of the Us THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE HAWAI'I !! Be sure to purchase a unit that is specific about that. Good luck.

Archived