Mercury to Mexican Riviera???

papillons4u

Thinking of doing the 11 day sailing to the Mexican Riviera on the Mercury. Has anyone done this sailing? How are the ports? Is there lots to do? What did you do for excursions??Please Help! Never been to any of the ports before! Thinking of doing the Feb 28th tour.. is it warm enough then??

Pap

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;2;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I sailed on the Mercury in November 2003. The weather was very warm and sunny everyday. The seas were quite calm, but I'm not sure that this is the norm. As far as excursions, I spent most of my time at resorts at the ports. The properties encourage this along with using the facilities. I was able to get a massage at one resort for $35. for an hour. I do prefer the Caribbean, but I do recommend this itinerary and would do it again.

I did the 11 night that included Acapulco, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo and Manzanillo. It is a real beach itinerary with some shopping and sight seeing, I guess I just like the Caribbean blue water better. There was alot to do and much of it was fairly close to the ports. I did do a tour in Acapulco that included the cliff divers, a city tour and then ended at a resort for lunch and about 1 1/2 hours of pool and beach use. I have been to Acapulco before but I guess I can't get enough of the divers.

I did the same itinerary in late January of this year and loved it. The weather was nice that time of year, though not Caribbean warm, especially the sea days at the beginning and end. It was in the low 70s to mid 90s in Mexico, depending on the port, but in the 50s at the beginning and end (California is chilly that time of year).

In Mazatlan, we went horseback riding with Randi's Happy Horses (check out the Ports of Call Board). A lovely ride that ends on the beach at Victor's for some of the freshest (and least expensive) seafood in the world. Randi even buys the first beer. Temps were in the 70s.

In Puerto Vallarta, we visited friends, as we did in Cabo, but Puerto Vallarta has a lot of shopping (a cab ride away) and lots of beaches, restaurants, etc. Nice place to wander the downtown area. Temps in the 70s.

Cabo has a lot of watersports and good snorkeling as well as shopping and waterfront restaurants, all within pretty easy walking distance of the ship (this is a tender port). Temps in the low 80s. We also saw some whales off shore--prime time for whale watching as I understand it.

Manzanillo is a beach stop. Don't bother with much else. No shooping to speak of and not much to see. (there is a good ship's snorkling excursion to Elephant Rock I understand, but that is about it). Take a cab to a good beach or resort. We went to Las Hadas, about 1/2 hour cab ride away. Lots of people from the ship did and I recommend it. It is $25 pp US to use their facilities for the day, but they give that amount back to you in vouchers to use for food, drink, etc. Beautiful swimming and snorkeling, very quiet and private, clean, bach lounge chairs, etc. Great way to spend the day. Temps in the 70s - 80s.

I personally do not like Acapulco (been there a couple of time before). Pretty setting, big crowded city. If you have not seen the cliff divers, take a tour that takes you there, by all means. I wouldn't do much shooping though. Prices are outrageous in my experience. We stayed on the ship this time and enjoyed the quiet. Temps in the 90s.

Ixtapa was my favorite. Quiet fishing village. One block off the beach, there are some really wonderful shops where we got some beautiful pieces of Oaxacan folk art and Dia de los Muertos art for great prices. The stuff right on the beach is the usual mediocre stuff. We had lunch on the beach--best piece of grilled fish ever--the cook went over to the fisherman, bought it, cleaned it and served it. YUM!! Across the bay, there are some lovely beaches with all the amenities. We could have stayed there for a lot longer and i would not have minded.

If you go, have a great time! You will love Mercury. She is one of my favorote ships.

Linda

Archived