Touring Tallinn

A walking tour of Tallinn is supposed to be the best way to see the Old Town of a very historical medieval city. I have had some success in finding locals who provide a guided tour. Smaller groups aways seem to provide a much more informative, easier to hear tour. And they are always way less expensive than the ship's shore excursions.

Harrtchr, we would be interested in the contact info for a private tour of Tallinn so we can book for our July 08, 2005 stopover. (Have contacted one local company (Ahti) but they have already been booked on that day!). We understand one can also buy a Tallinn card which includes some sightseeing/walking tours. However, it would be preferrable to have most things planned ahead of time and reduce the chance of mishaps at the port...

Thanks, Kim

Heili Vaht [heili@estravel.ee]

above is the e-mail address of guide I have been in contact with for June 27 tour of Tallinn. If anybody reading this wants to join a small group for a more personal tour on that date, please reply

The Tallinn card is the one card that we're having problems purchasing over the internet. The other website I found says they are "sold out" which seems silly to me?! I've emailed their information center to see what they say. I'll let you know how they respond, if anyone is interested.

Thanks harrtchr for the link. Are you taking the 2 hour walking tour? Will the guide be taking you inside the monuments as well?

JodiBB, we are also having problems with purchasing Tallinn cards on line, and even having problems getting to the Tallinn web sites to see the detailed descriptions of the tours covered by the Tallinn cards...Have e-mailed them and waiting for a reply...

Kim

Thanks harrtchr for the link. Are you taking the 2 hour walking tour? Will the guide be taking you inside the monuments as well?

JodiBB, we are also having problems with purchasing Tallinn cards on line, and even having problems getting to the Tallinn web sites to see the detailed descriptions of the tours covered by the Tallinn cards...Have e-mailed them and waiting for a reply...

Kim

Kim...let me know if they reply to you and I'll do the same!!

The guide for a 2 to 3 hour waling tour of Tallinn has indicated that they are flexible to take us to the sites we want to see. I am hoping for one or two other couples to join my wife and I. Otherwise I will have to cancel it and take the ships shore excursion which is always crowded, slow and if your not right up front next to the guide, you don't hear much of what they are saying.

Also, the idea of a discount card is great for discount transportation around the city, but as for sightseeing, I have done both, sightseeing on your own and sightseeing with a local person as the guide. It has been my experience that a local guide is much more informative, interesting, at times entertaining and a wealth of knwledge for answering questions. When I do a walking tour on my own, I miss out on all that, even if I have guide books or audio self guided tours. Nothing like th human touch.

Kim

How did you make contact with the local tour company (Ahti)? Thanks in advance.

Harrtchr, we would be interested in the contact info for a private tour of Tallinn so we can book for our July 08, 2005 stopover. (Have contacted one local company (Ahti) but they have already been booked on that day!). We understand one can also buy a Tallinn card which includes some sightseeing/walking tours. However, it would be preferrable to have most things planned ahead of time and reduce the chance of mishaps at the port...

Thanks, Kim

Seagopher,

Here are the contact infos for the two private tour companies for Tallinn I have been in touch with: http://www.tours.ee (Ahti) and http://www.estravel.ee (heili)...

JodiBB,

I got an e-mail back from Tallinn tourist board:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately there is no online sell for Tallinn Card.You can purchase it at the Tallinn Airport, at the Tallinn Port, at the Tourist Information Centres and aslo form the bigger hotels in Tallinn. More detailed information you can find from the following link: http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/index.php?page=142 .

If you have any further questions, we will be glad to hlp you. "

Questions for those who have visited Tallinn and had gone to Kadriorg Palace, Song Festival Grounds, Pirita, etc...: was the ride worth it or should one just stay in Old Town? How long was the ride to Kadriorg Palace? (The private tour guides, ship tours, and public guides covered by Tallinn cards all offer walking tours of Old Town)

Thanks, Kim

This is the response I received from Heili:

Prive tours rates:

English speaking guide 55 eur/per 2 hrs

English speaking guide services 70 eur/per 3 hrs

English speaking guide + car/or minivan 145 eur/per 3hrs

Booking fee 9 eur

Rates are given for groups max 7 persons, entrances fees are not

included.

The guide and car/or minivan will wait the clients in the harbour and

guide will hold a sign with client name.

Monica

Archived