Destiny review by another

Thomson Destiny A Pleasant Surprise.

27 of 27 people found this review informative

Reviewed By: Walker, Hemel Hempstead on 19th Feb 2012 Cruise Line: Thomson CruisesTimes cruised before: 6-10Cruise Ship: Thomson DestinySailed: February, 2012Destination: Canaries Age: 46-55Cabin: OutsideOccasion: BirthdayJoined the Thomson Destiny in Gran Canaria after a rather cramped flight on Thomson Airways, (which has no entertainment or free drinks or food included).

Check in was smooth and we arrived in our cabin within half an hour of boarding.

We had the All inclusive package as part of the deal, so most drinks, coffees and tips were included in the price. Initially we didn't know which drinks were 'free' however we eventually found a bar list and made our choices from it. Made a nice change not to have a huge tips bill at the end!!

Cabin. Outside with a porthole window. Small but very clean and the beds were singles with a bunk above for the three of us, we were on deck 2 in the middle of the ship. The shower was powerful and plenty of hot water. The only issue would be the size, that said we knew that when we booked and three of us were comfortable for a week. There was a TV with limited channels, two wardrobes, a safe (you have to pay for???). Pool and cabin towels supplied. The stewards were excellent, which was consistent throughout the holiday with all the staff. One tip is to take earplugs, the ship is older than some, so there is a bit of noise. Also there is a bit of movement when at sea, not excessive but be aware.

Food. The food was very good, we ate in the restaurant most evenings and I would say the food is as good as Princess or P&O and the curries even better! We were allocated a table of eight, it appeared everyone shared tables, something that would have prevented me from booking in the past, however our fellow diners were pleasant and made the cruise more enjoyable.

Breakfast was adequate, the sausages were the worst I have ever tasted but everything else was ok. Lunch, normally by the pool & was good, usual fare of burgers, ribs, hot dogs plus some nice touches every day such as a pasta selection or crepes.

Entertainment. I was amazed at how good the entertainment was on board, the best I have seen so far. The shows were top quality and everyone seemed to be having a good time, one comedian at the start, who was great and didn't swear once! The Thomson team work really hard and it shows, very impressed. Live music in bars, by the pool, all very good without being in 'your face' all day!

Pools. Two, both a good size and one dedicated for adults. Not very busy as they were very cold, I turned blue!!!! No Jacuzzi s. Never had a problem finding a sunbed, although the ones by the pools were taken very quickly. The weather was changeable for the first few days and then lovely for the remainder of the holiday.

Gym. Not great, had a few machines and needs to be updated. Personal trainer on hand and I saw him provide some good advice to those that asked.

Overall, a really nice week on board, we have cruised with P&O, Princess, Ocean Village and Celebrity. Despite the age of the ship, the small cabins, I would rate this as one of the best cruises and by far the best value. Yes the ship is older but it was clean, very well maintained with excellent staff.

Reviewed By: Walker, Hemel Hempstead on 19th Feb 2012 Cruise Line: Thomson CruisesTimes cruised before: 6-10Cruise Ship: Thomson DestinySailed: February, 2012Destination: Canaries Age: 46-55Cabin: OutsideOccasion: BirthdayJoined the Thomson Destiny in Gran Canaria after a rather cramped flight on Thomson Airways, (which has no entertainment or free drinks or food included).

Check in was smooth and we arrived in our cabin within half an hour of boarding.

We had the All inclusive package as part of the deal, so most drinks, coffees and tips were included in the price. Initially we didn't know which drinks were 'free' however we eventually found a bar list and made our choices from it. Made a nice change not to have a huge tips bill at the end!!

Cabin. Outside with a porthole window. Small but very clean and the beds were singles with a bunk above for the three of us, we were on deck 2 in the middle of the ship. The shower was powerful and plenty of hot water. The only issue would be the size, that said we knew that when we booked and three of us were comfortable for a week. There was a TV with limited channels, two wardrobes, a safe (you have to pay for???). Pool and cabin towels supplied. The stewards were excellent, which was consistent throughout the holiday with all the staff. One tip is to take earplugs, the ship is older than some, so there is a bit of noise. Also there is a bit of movement when at sea, not excessive but be aware.

Food. The food was very good, we ate in the restaurant most evenings and I would say the food is as good as Princess or P&O and the curries even better! We were allocated a table of eight, it appeared everyone shared tables, something that would have prevented me from booking in the past, however our fellow diners were pleasant and made the cruise more enjoyable.

Breakfast was adequate, the sausages were the worst I have ever tasted but everything else was ok. Lunch, normally by the pool & was good, usual fare of burgers, ribs, hot dogs plus some nice touches every day such as a pasta selection or crepes.

Entertainment. I was amazed at how good the entertainment was on board, the best I have seen so far. The shows were top quality and everyone seemed to be having a good time, one comedian at the start, who was great and didn't swear once! The Thomson team work really hard and it shows, very impressed. Live music in bars, by the pool, all very good without being in 'your face' all day!

Pools. Two, both a good size and one dedicated for adults. Not very busy as they were very cold, I turned blue!!!! No Jacuzzi s. Never had a problem finding a sunbed, although the ones by the pools were taken very quickly. The weather was changeable for the first few days and then lovely for the remainder of the holiday.

Gym. Not great, had a few machines and needs to be updated. Personal trainer on hand and I saw him provide some good advice to those that asked.

Overall, a really nice week on board, we have cruised with P&O, Princess, Ocean Village and Celebrity. Despite the age of the ship, the small cabins, I would rate this as one of the best cruises and by far the best value. Yes the ship is older but it was clean, very well maintained with excellent staff.

they are £15 per week we are just back last friday so any questions please ask while things are still fresh in my mind

shirley

Nice little earner for Thomson. If half the cruisers pay for a safe that is approaching 1 million per year revenue :eek:

they are £15 per week we are just back last friday so any questions please ask while things are still fresh in my mind

shirley

Hi Shirley

Glad you had a good time my first time on Destiny in May first time cruiser what variations of food do they have in the resturant also should i be concerned about sea sickness I did not feel to good when I went on ferry back from Belgium.

Thanks

wolf7

cash cow I think they call it :cool:

first time we went on Dream safes free :) next year a charge :(

Thomson are great on organising cruises with the best staff and entertainment

however they keep sneeking in cost increases here an there :eek:

still good value as is not the case with other cruise lines who apply surchages/ tips to your biil

be interesting what may transpire cost wise over the next year :rolleyes:

Stevie

Nice little earner for Thomson. If half the cruisers pay for a safe that is approaching 1 million per year revenue :eek:

If Thomson increased the price of every holiday by £10 and made use of the safe FOC, they would a) Earn even more money and b) Not get criticised for this petty surcharge. After all, I doubt whether the extra tenner would lead to any lost sales.

If Thomson increased the price of every holiday by £10 and made use of the safe FOC, they would a) Earn even more money and b) Not get criticised for this petty surcharge. After all, I doubt whether the extra tenner would lead to any lost sales.

Aargh!

Thomson bean counters will be having fits, heart attacks and strokes. How dare you suggest they do something logical :D:D:D

They probably have some convoluted argument to show that increasing the cost by a tenner will lose them millions.

Oops, who mentioned bonuses :rolleyes:

Hi Shirley

Glad you had a good time my first time on Destiny in May first time cruiser what variations of food do they have in the resturant also should i be concerned about sea sickness I did not feel to good when I went on ferry back from Belgium.

Thanks

wolf7

hi plenty of variety on food ie steak or salmon or cod or pork. get my drift also vegetarian option two types of soup about 4 starters, and i think 5 sweets including sugar free option and cheese and biscuits. one night i had a choice of banofee pie or profiteroles. choices aplenty. We felt a little nausious one day but it was a bit rough in the atlantic. travel calms tablets did the trick but you will get your sea legs i'm having trouble getting my land legs back at the minute. you will love it all.:)

Archived