Upsell Fairy email - is this a good deal?

New2Cruising24

Just got an email from the upsell fairy for my DParents room only?!

They are in a 6A (Riviera - Oceanview)...email says upgrade to a balcony for $264 per cabin??

TIA for your opinions.

BTW - this is their first cruise...a tester for a future Alaska cruise, we hope! For that one they will definitely get a Balcony, but for Carib? 6 day? need more input... :)

I would do it, but I'm a purely balcony person. Can't go back to an oceanview or inside.

I guess questions I would ask Carnival about the upgrade would be - is it obstructed view and where is it located? If it's under the lido deck when they're dragging chairs around at 6am, personally I'd pass. Location may be more important to some people than the type of cabin.

We got an upsell call for our Liberty 2.0 cruise in November. We went from an inside for 3 people on Panorama deck to a balcony on deck 8. I jumped on it for the small upsell fee of $200 total. I priced upgrading myself and the price of a balcony would have cost me at least $400 more.

Thanks Carnival, never had a balcony before, LOVED LOVED LOVED it and now I don't even LOOK at cabins below deck 5.

I might do it, depending on the location. I am in a 6B right now and would like a balcony, but will only do it if it reaches the correct price point, which is about $250 over what we paid. On ours they are running about $350 more per cabin for the three of us, which is why I haven't done it yet.

For our upcoming cruise on the Legend, my inlaws were in a 7A(obstructed balcony) and we were in a 8e(midship balcony). She got an email saying we could upgrade for $40 per cabin. We both got extended balconies one deck higher for the $40. I'd hold out for a little cheaper.

On our cruise on the Splendor awhile ago, we got a $50 email to upgrade. When I called they didn't have any 4 person rooms left (as my 2 kiddos go with us), but my inlaws got an aft wrap at the back of the boat for her $50. It was well worth it to have that bigger balcony.

Good luck with your decision!

Shawn

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Right now I think we're going to pass. Looks like if we booked a balcony today it would be it would actually be cheaper then adding what we paid + upsell. So not so great a deal, right?

Thanks again, love CC folks :)

If that's the case I would certainly let the upsell fairy know - her deal is not really a deal - and perhaps she may wish to 'rethink' her offer and get back to you? :D:D

Have you looked to see what the going rate for balconies are? It's not a bad price to upsell for 6 days for 2 people.

For our upcoming trip I could upgrade from an inside without a visit from a Fairy for $300 JUST to an Outside! (3 people 7 days) The balcony would be $900 more from the inside against current rates.:eek:

So as much as we'd like to have a bit more room for the Outside - $300 is a bit much - that's the tips for the trip :rolleyes: pp. (Also I love the location of our room and I hate the location of the Outsides)

So if the Fairy does send me an upsell email - I know what is a good price point.

Also - last summer I got the upsell email (2 months before sailing) and went for it. It was $40 (total) to go from Inside to Outside. That was worth it for the larger room. When I got a call then a few days before sailing trying to upsell me again - I laughed. I told the guy if I hadn't already spent $ upgrading our room I might consider but I'm not spending any more extra. They wanted a stupid amount ($xxx - 3 digits I believe).

I do like the upsell email.

I got an upsell fairy email this morning. Sailing Liberty on April 7. Started with an inside, a couple of weeks ago was able to upgrade to an oceanview for $20.00 (total) and now they are asking if I want an oceanview for $360.

I'm going to hold out a little longer and see if the price comes down to anything I like, I'm content with an OV so it would have to be a pretty good deal, obviously the ship isn't selling very well!!

I got an upsell fairy email this morning. Sailing Liberty on April 7. Started with an inside, a couple of weeks ago was able to upgrade to an oceanview for $20.00 (total) and now they are asking if I want an oceanview for $360.

I'm going to hold out a little longer and see if the price comes down to anything I like, I'm content with an OV so it would have to be a pretty good deal, obviously the ship isn't selling very well!!

Whoops... I meant we upgraded to an oceanview for $20.00 and now they are asking if we want a balcony for $360.

Archived