Belize Lamanai Ruins & Safari Tour

Soxpeat

Did the ship tour 3 weeks ago and it was worth every penny. FYI, don't stand under the trees full of monkeys (they throw and do nasty things) and watch the ground where you are standing. I stood in an army ant nest and they bit my feet and ankles. Still itchy every now and then.

If this is the one we took that involved a long bus ride, cruise down the river and back, I would stick with the cruiseline for this. It was a great day, but it was all day. I am the first to use a 3rd party when I can, but not for this trip.

For sure! We got back on the last scheduled tender (4:30pm). There were some others after us but they were late and for some reason the ship didn't leave them. The bus ride is about 1 hour and 15 minutes long (each way) and the boat ride (24 miles) is about an hour each way depending on how many times you stop to look at wildlife. The time at the ruins was a little over an hour then lunch was about 45 mins to an hour. Very long day and I wouldn't risk doing it outside the cruiseline. Plus, unless you are in a suite there is no guarantee that you will be on the first tender. We met in the Stardust at 7:45am.

In almost all cases, I look for tours outside of NCL but this tour is a special case. You are accepting a lot of risk if going outside of NCL and I wouldn't accept that much risk for this tour.

Certainly do the tour though. This is a great tour and we booked our tour with NCL.

Have a great vacation and post some pictures when you get back.

bruce....

We are looking to book a Lamanai Ruins & Safari Tour in Belize for our upcoming trip on the Star this April. Has anyone had any success with any of the non-cruise line excursion companies for this tour?

This is pretty much an all day excursion. Normally I am in favour of using non-cruiseline excursion companies BUT in this case when we went we used NCL.

Why: Belize is a tender port and the excursion is NOT near the port.

Timing can be tight. If you are on the cruiseline's excursion, they will hold the tender if you are delayed. We just made it back on time for the 2nd last tender and our guide told us that it was not unusual to be on the last tender.

Also the price difference between NCL and the local companies offering the excursion was really minimal. My peace-of-mind was worth a couple of extra bucks.

This is a fantastic tour-WHEN BOOKED THROUGH THE SHIP!

We took it in febuary of last year on the spirit and the ship was waiting for us as we were on the last tender. If we had gone private we would have probably missed the ship. The ships tour is also reasonably priced, and the guides and lunch were excellent. Don't take the risk of missing the ship!

-sesasheep

My family and I are also considering this trip... So for those of you who have done it did you take kids and if so how old were they?

Booked it through the ship and took 5 teens pre teens...two 15 year olds a 13 year old and 11 year old and a 10 year old....All had a wonderful time... We saw and hung out with folks with younger children as well although I would not have allowed them to climb up the ruins...I would DEFINITELY not recommend under age 5 as they might find it boring as the older kids travel up and down the ruins and they just get to sit..and the path was not overly conducive to stollers...

LOVED this excursion!! But would only do throught the ship as others have said....

mkad1109- Thanks for the information. We may put this one on hold until our next trip because DD is only 3. I would hate for her to get tired and ruin the trip for others. She is usually pretty good and loves seeing and learning about new things. But who knows how she will act and feel in a whole new environment. Its her 1st cruise.

I do agree with others-- when in a tendered port it is best to book through the cruise line.

We did this excursion last year through the ship, kinda a funny story! I took my 13, and 10 year old, and my husband stayed on the ship as he was not feeling well. I told the kids we were going on an adventure!

The ruins were very interesting, and the bus ride very informative. We had a lovely lunch and it was very hot so we drank a lot of water, and a pop was included. Before we left for the boat ride everyone but my son used the restrooms (not the cleanest), he said he was fine. The boat ride was great, we saw large crocodiles, and iguanas along the river. About 10 minutes into the ride my son had to go, the tour guide said they would pull up to shore so he could go. After some convincing, and me getting off with him he decided he would have to go, as it would be another hour before we got to a restroom. We heard lots of rustling in the bushes so we were freaked, then we realized the boat was having a problem. Both motors got tangled up in a net that was along the river, and neither one was working. We got back on the boat, and floated down the river in Belize in the hot sun, and about 40 other tourists not very happy with my son! We had a person from NCL on the boat with us, so we thought the ship would wait for us if we were late, he told us otherwise, and said we would have to catch up with the ship in Mexico if we missed the last tender!

The only sharp object that we could find on the boat had came from a passenger who brought toe nail clippers! Who brings that on a tour in Belize! Anyways they were not much use. After about 40 minutes another boat came by, and had to go get a knife from some fisherman down the river. The netting was fianlly cut, and we were free to go. We made it back to the port in time to get the tender back to the ship.

So all in all we did have a great adventure, and if you do take this tour be sure to use the restrooms no matter how nasty they are!:rolleyes:

Hubby and I have booked this excursion through NCL for our upcoming 3/11 cruise on the Star and would appreciate any advice on what to wear including shoes and what to bring along. I have a lightweight travel cooler and wondering if we should bring it with our own water, or is water provided ?

Looks like I will need to skip taking my diuretic that day.

We did this excursion last year through the ship, kinda a funny story! I took my 13, and 10 year old, and my husband stayed on the ship as he was not feeling well. I told the kids we were going on an adventure!

The ruins were very interesting, and the bus ride very informative. We had a lovely lunch and it was very hot so we drank a lot of water, and a pop was included. Before we left for the boat ride everyone but my son used the restrooms (not the cleanest), he said he was fine. The boat ride was great, we saw large crocodiles, and iguanas along the river. About 10 minutes into the ride my son had to go, the tour guide said they would pull up to shore so he could go. After some convincing, and me getting off with him he decided he would have to go, as it would be another hour before we got to a restroom. We heard lots of rustling in the bushes so we were freaked, then we realized the boat was having a problem. Both motors got tangled up in a net that was along the river, and neither one was working. We got back on the boat, and floated down the river in Belize in the hot sun, and about 40 other tourists not very happy with my son! We had a person from NCL on the boat with us, so we thought the ship would wait for us if we were late, he told us otherwise, and said we would have to catch up with the ship in Mexico if we missed the last tender!

The only sharp object that we could find on the boat had came from a passenger who brought toe nail clippers! Who brings that on a tour in Belize! Anyways they were not much use. After about 40 minutes another boat came by, and had to go get a knife from some fisherman down the river. The netting was fianlly cut, and we were free to go. We made it back to the port in time to get the tender back to the ship.

So all in all we did have a great adventure, and if you do take this tour be sure to use the restrooms no matter how nasty they are!:rolleyes:

Been there and bought the T-shirt! Never turn down the chance for a whiz.

Hubby and I have booked this excursion through NCL for our upcoming 3/11 cruise on the Star and would appreciate any advice on what to wear including shoes and what to bring along. I have a lightweight travel cooler and wondering if we should bring it with our own water, or is water provided ?

Looks like I will need to skip taking my diuretic that day.

What to bring:

Wear GOOD walking shoes - like sneakers or running shoes. Do NOT wear slippy sandals.

Some parts of the ruins area are quite flat and easy walking BUT I found the downhill path back to the dock slippy and quite uneven. If you must wear sandals wear proper, sturdy sports sandals that don't slide around.

If memory serves - they provided water but it can't hurt to bring some of your own.

Washrooms:

There are washrooms at the dock where you board the boat and washrooms (good ones) at the ruins - Personally if I had time I would use the washrooms before boarding the boat - just in case. There was NO toilet on the bus - so be sure to use the washrooms at the port before boarding the bus.

It's a great interesting excursion. Watch out for the wildlife. Have a good time.

I am another one to tell you to book through the ship. I am like some of the others, I normally book through private vendors or do the tour on my own. This tour is right on the wire for getting back to the ship in time.

Also when you take it and get to the ruins, ask the tour guide to show you a tarantula. He will take a piece of grass and coax one out of hole in the ground. About the size of a coffee saucer.

Dave

My family and I are also considering this trip... So for those of you who have done it did you take kids and if so how old were they?

We took our two children who were just 4 and almost 7 on this trip. It was fantastic and they enjoyed every minute. However, these two are very familiar with 1+ hour rides in the car, boat rides (the boat is LOUD-2x200hp outboard engines) and spending time in museums learning about history and culture. There were other young children on the tour, all of whom were well behaved and respectful of our surroundings. I strongly believe that with this tour, you need to know what your child(ren) can tolerate travel-wise, as well as their interests. I wouldn't automatically say to avoid this excursion with children, but others would.

I would also echo comments to do the excursion through the ship, we left the ship at 0745h and just made it back for the last tender at 1630h. That's way too close for me. There are multiple opportunities for transportation to fail, and it would be difficult to arrange alternatives in time to make the ship's departure.

We just got back from this tour yesterday! I loved it but it is a LONG day. We booked through RCL...again, like many have said, I generally do 3rd party excursions as well. After researching the distance for this one and then after being on it I would absolutely not do this specific one through an independent. The price difference is not much at all and the boats only hold so many people. I did feel cattle herded at the beginning, but the we had a smaller group on the bus, to the boat, through the ruins, back on the boat, and the return on the bus. We were on the 1st tender--there were 2 at the same time--we immediately boarded the bus and left. We arrived back at the pier with only 8 minutes before the last tender. I felt he hustled us pretty good through the day, we didn't stop too often, etc. I couldn't imagine if something went wrong how they would possibly make the time up, save skipping the lunch.

If you are wanting to book independently, I think I would recommend Altun Ha instead.

Nothing in Belize is very close to the ship. I did this tour in 2005 and did book through the cruise line. As with others, I agree that is the way to go. This tour is one of those that a larger group does not really impact the quality of the trip and it was very well done. My only complaint was the heat, which was not the fault of anyone but nature.;)

I am thinking of the Alta Ha/River Cruise tour next year. I will also do that one through the ship. The combination of distance + tender + third world country just dictates extra caution to me. We usually do independent tours, but Belize is the exception. Too may factors are involved.

Archived