Got Scavi Tour Tickets!!! Can we make it???

azlove2cruise

Just a heads-up !!!!!

When we did the Scavi tour last November WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER THE BASILICA FROM THE NECROPOLIS...... we exited the tour the same way we came in..... IF we had wanted to visit the Basilica we would have had to go thru the long security line. (We had done the Basilica on a previous trip)

So, do not count on being able to enter St. Peters from the tour. Sometimes they do not allow it. (There was some type of conference taking place that day that did not allow us access this way)

Wow that's bad luck. Hopefully it was a one-off. I didn't do the Scavi tour, and now i wish I'd tried to but if the Basilica is all you can manage it's still a great way to spend an hour

Good luck,

Tony

I wanted to thank you for posting this thread recently. I stumbled on it just yesterday and it was an answer to my prayers!

We'll arrive Rome/Citavechia on the Solstice in June and I've been trying really hard to decide which tour to book that would allow us to enter the Basilica. I found that only guided tours to the Vatican museums (which for 2 persons only is a little bit expensive, unless you find somebody to share the cost) are allowed to internally enter the Basilica. Otherwise, you have to make the long line trough security to enter. We arrive on a Wednesday an that's the day of the weekly Pope Audience. Meaning, the Basilica is closed in the morning, so everybody is trying to enter it in the afternoon (after 2:00pm give or take); I read sometimes it doesn't open for the general public at all!

Anyway, long story short. Read your post yesterday, sent an e-mail to Scavi (asking the tour either in Spanish or English) and today I got the e-mail saying we got the admission for 2 (Spanish language tour) at 2:30pm!!!!

Needless to say I'm more than happy :D. Like we say in Puerto Rico: "I'm happier than a dog with two tails" (Sorry "lost in translation", but I guess you got the message :cool: )

Thanks again and thanks for all the other follow ups you posted regardibg the credit card, etc.

Wish you a wonderful trip!!!

From a fellow dog with two tails...Thanks! And glad to help. I love CC and all the helpful fellow cruisers and travel addicts. That's how I found the scavi tour myself and how to request tickets. Of course the minute I found out about it, I just knew I had to give it my best shot...I was on a mission! So glad to hear that we've helped you, too. And I wish you happy and safe travels as well:)

Wow that's bad luck. Hopefully it was a one-off. I didn't do the Scavi tour, and now i wish I'd tried to but if the Basilica is all you can manage it's still a great way to spend an hour

Good luck,

Tony

It really wasn't a big deal for us. We had done a private tour of the museums and St Peters on our first trip to Rome.

Our Scavi tour during our third visit to Rome was on the morning of the day we were to board the ship......so that was the only thing we had on the calendar for the morning anyway.

Except for climbing the dome we feel we have pretty much covered the Vatican - or at least got a good overall feel for it all ;)

Archived