Park & Cruise Package @ Quality Inn & Suites Gretna, LA for NOLA Cruise

ABQmom

HPreese,

The area around the hotel really doesn't support anything except a few fast food restaurants. The street in front of the hotel is a four lane seperated by an elevated highway. There is a school next to the hotel on one side and neighborhoods around the back. The neighborhoods are typical '60s homes and maintained. This area is not nearly as questionable as in the Algiers area to the east. The hotel has been recently remodeled when it became a Quality Inn; previously a Holiday Inn. While it shows it's age a bit, it is clean and friendly.

Captain Ronn

We stayed there as did our friends. Both couples, two children each. No additional charge for the kids to shuttle to port.

Our room was in better shape than theirs but they were clean and reasonable - a place to spend the night. No qualms about leaving the car there for a week. If you are looking for an expensive place to "park and sleep" it is fine.

That said: the line to check in was LONG when we arrived. Many people turned away because they had not made reservations. We had. While my husband waited in line, I went and got the boys swimsuits out of the car and they swam.

We were tired and just ordered Domino's in the room. Quick and reasonable.

NO ICE could be found because they were booked full. My husband went to Walgreens and got some (along with other items we forgot).

The shuttle is that: a shuttle. Old small bus; only seats about 20-24. They also have a van that seats 8-10. We waited quite a while on both legs of the trip. BUT it was free and got us where we needed to be on time.

Have I left out anything?

We just got back and was very satisfied with our stay. They did have a sign on the desk stating something about the hourly shuttle to the ferry not being able to run. So, we just drove and parked our car at the ferry.($10) Sign up for the cruise shuttle, when you check in though. We got there about 2pm and the 10 am was already half full, so we just signed up for the 9am shuttle. We did have to wait about 30 mins on the return shuttle, but no big deal. We would definitely stay here again.

We just got back and was very satisfied with our stay. They did have a sign on the desk stating something about the hourly shuttle to the ferry not being able to run. So, we just drove and parked our car at the ferry.($10) Sign up for the cruise shuttle, when you check in though. We got there about 2pm and the 10 am was already half full, so we just signed up for the 9am shuttle. We did have to wait about 30 mins on the return shuttle, but no big deal. We would definitely stay here again.

Thanks so much for the details. I wonder why the hourly shuttle wasn't running...maybe it was the NCAA basketball crowd that had shut it down.

Thanks so much for the review! I feel much better about staying at the Quality Inn after hearing from someone who has recently stayed there. Glad to hear that the shuttle was convenient. One question...since you had to take the 9am shuttle, what time did you arrive at the port and how long until you were able to start the boarding process?

Thanks,

Michelle

Thanks so much for the review! I feel much better about staying at the Quality Inn after hearing from someone who has recently stayed there. Glad to hear that the shuttle was convenient. One question...since you had to take the 9am shuttle, what time did you arrive at the port and how long until you were able to start the boarding process?

Thanks,

Michelle

It was only 10 minute trip to the port. We could not start the boarding process until about 1015am. But for some reason they did not let anyone on board until about 1200. I done a review of our trip on the Norwegian Cruise Lines Board.

Woodman6703,

Most likey, because of the elevated highway in front of the hotel, and the distance, you will not be able to see the ship. However, on the day prior, there should be a ship in port and you can drive over to the Ferry terminal at Algier's Point and see it as well as the skyline of New Orleans and the French Quarter.

Captain Ronn

We also booked a room at the quality Inn and suites in Gretna. We are seriously thinking about taking a taxi to the cruise port and going a little bit later to avoid the long lines. I understand the taxi fare is about $20. I think this might be better than trying to crowd on a bus. Any thoughts?

We also booked a room at the quality Inn and suites in Gretna. We are seriously thinking about taking a taxi to the cruise port and going a little bit later to avoid the long lines. I understand the taxi fare is about $20. I think this might be better than trying to crowd on a bus. Any thoughts?

Not having to wait on the shuttle would be nice. It is not a big bus and when filled is crowded. We had to wait nearly an hour when we disembarked.

I have posted this link in a few other places. I have looked into these as we will be driving to NOLA. I believe we will be booking the Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome. We were in NOLA this past weekend and drove by the hotel. It looks nice and includes parking. Lots of information about other hotels also.

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/travel-professionals/cruises/pre-post-commisonable-packages/

Based on everything I've read, I think we'll keep our res at the Quality Inn. The HI Superdome was way more expensive, even befopre they raised the rate to $345 and the other HI in Gretna was also more expensive too. We just need a place to park our bodies for the night and the car for the week.

• 1 month later...

My daughter and I stayed at the Quality Inns and Suites in Gretna on April 29 and did the park and cruise package. The people at the hotel were so nice and our room was great. Every thing was clean and in good condition. The breakfast bar was the only downfall! Yuck! When we arrived at the hotel we signed up for the shuttle. It's a little bus and the driver was so nice. When we arrive back at port after the cruise we called the hotel and they sent the little bus to pick us up. Yes, we had to wait a little while but a few minutes after we called a van from the hotel picked us up...he was dropping some others off so he was already there. We parked our car in the front parking lot which has security. Only problem was we a a surprise passenger when we picked up the car! I had just driven into traffic when a little lizard came out from the engine onto my windshield. Poor guy, he was scared to death! I finally was able to slow down enough for him to run off! I don't know how to post pictures here but feel free to email me at dyels@yahoo.com. I'll be glad to send pictures to you. All in all...we would stay there again if we cruise out of NOLA again.

My daughter and I stayed at the Quality Inns and Suites in Gretna on April 29 and did the park and cruise package. The people at the hotel were so nice and our room was great. Every thing was clean and in good condition. The breakfast bar was the only downfall! Yuck! When we arrived at the hotel we signed up for the shuttle. It's a little bus and the driver was so nice. When we arrive back at port after the cruise we called the hotel and they sent the little bus to pick us up. Yes, we had to wait a little while but a few minutes after we called a van from the hotel picked us up...he was dropping some others off so he was already there. We parked our car in the front parking lot which has security. Only problem was we a a surprise passenger when we picked up the car! I had just driven into traffic when a little lizard came out from the engine onto my windshield. Poor guy, he was scared to death! I finally was able to slow down enough for him to run off! I don't know how to post pictures here but feel free to email me at dyels@yahoo.com. I'll be glad to send pictures to you. All in all...we would stay there again if we cruise out of NOLA again.

Glad you had a great stay with them! We will be there soon. Thanks for the info!!!

What was wrong with the breakfast bar?

• 1 month later...
I think we are going to stay here now as well. Quality Inn in Gretna.

Just want to already be down there since it is a 11+ hour drive from IL

Just got back from a 7 day cruise on Sunday. We stayed at the Quality Inn in Gretna. It was very nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The drivers were awesome too! The price is right and the service is great. Oh, the breakfast was not too bad. It did the job to get you going for a day of embarking. The biscuits and gravy was really good 2 me. The coffee is strong too. We only waited about 15 minutes after clearing customs to be picked up to be taken back to our car.

• 4 months later...

Archived