Rafting on the Martha Brae Questions

rs12065

We have booked the rafting trip on the Martha Brae during our cruise on the Allure in April.

I have several questions that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

First, is their a realistic issue regarding weight of individuals? Someone in our group is well over 200lbs. Will they be allowed to get on the raft, and if so will it cause a hardship for the guide maneuvering the raft?

Second, at any point during the rafting experience (including before or after) will we be hounded by Jamaicans looking to sell us something. Have issues with aggressive vendors.

Third, is the trip boring? My wife is concerned about it being no more interesting/exciting than Castaway Creek in Typhoon Lagoon in Disney World. Great for relaxing for 1/2 hour or so, but after that it does get boring.

Any opinions on these questions would be appreciated.

We rafted the Martha Brae a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it. The only downside is that it's about a 45 minute trip from Mo Bay. We hired a cab, which was a good bit cheaper than taking an excursion, and far less crowded.

The rafts are fairly small, and the 200 pounder may have to take his/her own raft. My wife and I were confortable, but neither of us fits into that weight category.

At a few points, vendors waded into the water tring to sell stuff, but they were not very aggressive. A couple of them were selling Red Stripe's, which was a good thing.

Type A folks may find the trip a little boring, but we did not. It is very relaxing, and the guides are good at pointing out local flora and fauna. The guides usually try to sell stuff of their own

We thought this was well worth the time and money. We were in Falmouth with Royal Caribbean.

My raft captain also let me do some poling after I asked him (an experience that I wanted to have)

We were not pestered by vendors in Falmouth area at all (within the port area and in the actual town)

Weight issue: I think the raft captains would know the answer to that as they take customers down the river so often. For hubby and me, we had a combined weight of about 300 lbs and there was no problem.

Our raft captain was #100, so ask for him (he was very nice)

Archived