Overwhelmed! Tulum?

gratamama

Thank God for these boards - i'm overwhelmed looking at the excursion options!

Sell me (or don't) on Tulum. This is our first cruise. Our ports of call are Coz and GC (neither been to either). We're also beaching in Tampa for two days after our cruise.

Our group is my husband and I, our 7-year-old son and my up-for-anything 64-year-old parents.

We like the idea of Tulum, especially having a cultural/educational thing on an otherwise beach vacation, but it does eat up the entire day, right? Also, this excursion through carnival will cost us more than $450. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this trip is too-great-to-miss, or if something like a beach resort or chankanaab would better fit the bill.

I have been to Tulum 3 times but I was staying at an AI near Playa Del Carmen so the drive to and from Tulum was only about 5 hours total. The ruins are impressive and I am so glad I went but leaving from Cozumel and having to take the ferry to PDC and then drive to Tulum and ferry back will make for a very long day. It will be your decision but I would visit when I was at an AI near PDC.

it is a long day and sometimes the crossing on the ferry can be rough. the day we went it seemed fine but then we don't mind!

I think it takes about an hour from when you leave the ferry with a stop midway for restrooms and to buy gifts from a purpose built indoor market. It's wise to use these restrooms here because the ones at Tulum are very basic!

It can be a long walk from the coach to Tulum but you can hop on the little train.Whatever take lots of water. It is incredibly hot there.

Tulum was my favourite excursion on our cruise and well worth the money and we will definitely go there again.

Let me present the other side.... lol.

I was there in december with two other 30 somethings. It was HOT HOT HOT and there was tons of walking. THe bus ride was long and boring. The ferry ride made me very seasick, which I have not experienced in years. Then, the tour we had there was actually pretty boring. Of course, that depends on the guide. Ours was so-so.

I would truly rather remove my own teeth with a sppon than take a 7-year-old to Tulum! We three young grown-ups were exhausted from our trip, so I cannot imagine taking a kid. Mine are 9, 6, and 4, and we are doing Chankanaab park when we go in May. :)

gratamama, I've not done this excursion, but several friends have. Their stories have convinced me to wait to do this until I have a port of call stop on the mainland. Here is what they tell me:

The trip is LONG. About 45 minutes on the ferry (and as jlajla and imajica mentioned, that trip can be very rough), followed by an hour long ride by bus. Limited time spent at the ruins before you have to turn around and do it all over again coming back to Cozumel. And it's smokin' hot. I would think that the excursion would be especially hard on young kids and elderly people. My friends are all glad they saw Tulum...it's spectacular. But they would not go see it this way again.

That said, you will find a lot of people on Cruise Critic who swear by this excursion. They'll deal with the travel time, the heat, the seasickness, everything in order to see this amazing site.

If you really have your hearts set on it, I say arm yourselves with some fortitude and go for it.

I also really wanted to go to Tulum when we are in Coz in Dec but after reading the reponses on some of the threads here we have decided to wait and do it if/when we stay at an AI on the mainland. We have 2 kids (9 & 15) and the idea of possibly starting out the excursion with seasickness-and then having to spend an hour + on a bus seemed like a chance we were not willing to take. We have decided (I think) to hire a driver for the day and explore Coz as we want. Seems like there is a lot to do/see there even thoguh we are not beach people.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I think we may leave Tulum for another day, when we're on mainland and need a break from the resort....

I think we'll investigate Chaknaab, paradise beach or maybe even one of the smaller ruins right on cozumel and have a little time to still do a bit of beaching or shopping.

thanks.

Let me present the other side.... lol.

I was there in december with two other 30 somethings. It was HOT HOT HOT and there was tons of walking. THe bus ride was long and boring. The ferry ride made me very seasick, which I have not experienced in years. Then, the tour we had there was actually pretty boring. Of course, that depends on the guide. Ours was so-so.

I would truly rather remove my own teeth with a sppon than take a 7-year-old to Tulum! We three young grown-ups were exhausted from our trip, so I cannot imagine taking a kid. Mine are 9, 6, and 4, and we are doing Chankanaab park when we go in May. :)

I could not have said it better myself! My husband loved the ancient ruins but, for me, the horrible and long transportation was too much. We also ditched our guide who was a complete bore and only wanted to force us to tip him at the end of the trip. I wouldn't touch the lunch..had a couple of Coronas (no lime) to get me through the day :)

Archived