NTSB Opens Investigation of Dawn Incident

ukcruiser1

here is the NTSB release

NTSB Advisory

National Transportation Safety Board

Washington, DC 20594

April 19, 2005

NTSB SENDS INVESTIGATORS TO JOIN BAHAMIAN GOVERNMENT INVESTIGATION OF CRUISE SHIP ACCIDENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The National Transportation Safety Board has sent marine investigator Captain Morgan Turrell to join the investigation by the Bahamas Maritime Authority into the accident on April 16, 2005 involving the passenger vessel Norwegian Dawn.

The Bahamian-flagged vessel, operated by NCL, was damaged after encountering a large wave. The ship was underway from Miami to New York with more than 2,500 passengers on board. The windows in two passenger staterooms and the on navigation bridge were knocked out and four passengers sustained bruises and lacerations.

Acting Chairman Mark V. Rosenker stressed the NTSB's strong interest in cruise ship safety. "Given the importance of the industry and the large number of passengers these vessels carry, we believe it is important to participate in this investigation," said Rosenker. "What we learn will help maintain cruising as a safe and popular mode of travel."

The ship diverted to Charleston SC, on April 17, disembarked passengers there, and continued on to New York the following day, after temporary repairs.

The investigation is being conducted under the International Maritime Organization's Code for the Investigation of Casualties and Incidents. All information on the progress of the investigation will be released by the Bahamian authorities.

Please note that government releases such as these are not copyrighted.

From an engineering perspective, an investigation can be a good thing. Ships could benefit from future design changes that make them safer and more resistant to damage. I'm sure they will be looking at window and door design, material strength, and the possibility that forward facing cabins might not be the best idea after all. Perhaps everything met design standards but the standards didn't turn out to be robust enough. The investigators will be able to calculate the force of the event that took place based on damages to the steel, and use this to improve future standards. Us geek engineers don't look at it from the perspective of 'could the captain have avoided the wave', we know the possibility is out there for a ship to be in that situation again and look for ways to contain it safely.

I have friends who have been involved in investigating airline accidents, and they are a group of highly dedicated and qualified engineers, most of which are pilots themselves. I must assume the the same quality of investigators are used for water vessels.

Seahorse -- It's easy to mock the NTSB -- but we are in a period of incredibly safe air travel. Could it be that all of the investigations by the NTSB of airline accidents in the last decade -- and the efforts to correct identified problems and defects have brought us to this point.

Has anyone information on where the Rogue Wave hit landfall? Or does it just disintegrate at sea? How long was this wave? Would love to know? We were returning from the Bahamas on Costa and felt nothing? Odd?

Seahorse -- It's easy to mock the NTSB -- but we are in a period of incredibly safe air travel. Could it be that all of the investigations by the NTSB of airline accidents in the last decade -- and the efforts to correct identified problems and defects have brought us to this point.

We are not and I repeat, ARE NOT, safer then we were before 9/11. There have been many studies done on this recently. The security done at the airports,seaports,rail, etc is a joke:mad:

Do a google search on this. You have your head in the sand. The stories would make your hair curl.

You can believe whatever you wish, whatever makes you FEEL safe. Facts are facts.

As far as air accidents go, many, many more are still a mystery to the NTSB.

Geez, talk about rose colored glasses.

I do know the Island governments very well and coupled with ours:eek: humph.

It was reported elsewhere that initially NTSB had determined not to do an investigation. But when the Government of the Bahamas announced it would start one (that is where the Dawn is registered, I believe) the NTSB decided to send 1 investigator to asist and observe in the Bahamas' gov't investigation.

We are not and I repeat, ARE NOT, safer then we were before 9/11. There have been many studies done on this recently. The security done at the airports,seaports,rail, etc is a joke:mad:

Do a google search on this. You have your head in the sand. The stories would make your hair curl.

You can believe whatever you wish, whatever makes you FEEL safe. Facts are facts.

As far as air accidents go, many, many more are still a mystery to the NTSB.

Geez, talk about rose colored glasses.

I do know the Island governments very well and coupled with ours:eek: humph.

No, you missed what Lyncruiser was saying. Nothing that was said had anything to do with 9/11 or airline security. We are in fact in a period of incredible safe air travel. Airliner crashes occur much less than they used to. Air travel has never been safer.

No, you missed what Lyncruiser was saying. Nothing that was said had anything to do with 9/11 or airline security. We are in fact in a period of incredible safe air travel. Airliner crashes occur much less than they used to. Air travel has never been safer.

No. I did not miss the point. Air travel is no more or no less safer then it has been. In fact aircraft are getting older, more delays due to maintenence problems. I did mention investigations of crashes, yes?

I was a passenger on the Dawn. When I went forward to take pictures of the damage, I never saw any of the bridge windows broken. I panned the video camera up there while I talked to the camera, stating " Glad ithe wave didn't hit up one deck". Just thought I would let you know.:confused:

No. I did not miss the point. Air travel is no more or no less safer then it has been. In fact aircraft are getting older, more delays due to maintenence problems. I did mention investigations of crashes, yes?

I don't want to argue with you but you did miss the point. AIR TRAVEL IS SAFER THAN IT HAS EVER BEEN. You need to look at the facts. 2004 was the safest year ever for air travel (and 2003 was the second safest year). Bottom line is that air travel is safer now than it has ever been.

I don't want to argue with you but you did miss the point. AIR TRAVEL IS SAFER THAN IT HAS EVER BEEN. You need to look at the facts. 2004 was the safest year ever for air travel (and 2003 was the second safest year). Bottom line is that air travel is safer now than it has ever been.

Then don`t argue:p Happy flying!!

Then don`t argue:p Happy flying!!

I won't argue but I think it is pretty irresponsible of you to post that air travel isn't any safer when you obviously don't know the facts. You also implied that air travel might be less safe which is completely not true. For anyone who is interested here is some good reading on the matter:

http://washingtontimes.com/business/20050307-095146-3319r.htm

Moral of the story: Know What You Are Talking About Before You Talk About It.

And please don't think I am insulting you or anything I am just trying to get the facts out.

The "stonewalling" and apparent devious action by NCL regarding this instance is not unexpected. I was a "victim" of the major fiasco after the 2 year ago sinking of the Pride of America. That is why NCL is off my list of acceptable cruise lines permanently!

I won't argue but I think it is pretty irresponsible of you to post that air travel isn't any safer when you obviously don't know the facts. You also implied that air travel might be less safe which is completely not true. For anyone who is interested here is some good reading on the matter:

http://washingtontimes.com/business/20050307-095146-3319r.htm

Moral of the story: Know What You Are Talking About Before You Talk About It.

And please don't think I am insulting you or anything I am just trying to get the facts out.

EXCUSE ME, If you read the article, they are talking about the number of pax killed. Not the number of accidents, that rose. Double speak.

If those are your only facts, a newspaper article:eek: Humph, again.

Why are we discussing this? It is off topic, just I made a sarcastic remark about the NTSB? Do you work for them:rolleyes: ?

I didn`t say it was not safe, just not any safer because of the NTSB.

Why, oh ,why do I get myself into such discussions:p I guess because I am so irresponsible:p

EXCUSE ME, If you read the article, they are talking about the number of pax killed. Not the number of accidents, that rose. Double speak.

If those are your only facts, a newspaper article:eek: Humph, again.

Why are we discussing this? It is off topic, just I made a sarcastic remark about the NTSB? Do you work for them:rolleyes: ?

I didn`t say it was not safe, just not any safer because of the NTSB.

Why, oh ,why do I get myself into such discussions:p I guess because I am so irresponsible:p

I would respond but I am not going to argue :p .

The "stonewalling" and apparent devious action by NCL regarding this instance is not unexpected. I was a "victim" of the major fiasco after the 2 year ago sinking of the Pride of America. That is why NCL is off my list of acceptable cruise lines permanently!

I'm sorry you got caught up in that one. That wasn't NCL's finest day was it.

Just out of curiosity -- Who is on your list of acceptable cruise lines?

I am just wondering because I bet you could go on any one of their boards and hear the same statements from folks over there and for similar reasons.

I am not trying to pick on you or argue with you I really am just curious as to what lines you prefer as I am not adamant about having to cruise on NCL.

You are a great representative of your industry. Nobody leaves home, nobody gets hurt, right?

I also love it when somebody puts words in my mouth. I have enough of my own, thank you:p Just ask my DH.

I wouldn`t be a good rep. of my industry if I didn`t tell people the facts about travel. There is a liability factor you know. Do I go around telling people not to fly:eek: NO of course not. I fly all the time. If people ask me my opinion about air travel I say "It is no safer then it was before"

They ask all the time if they will get hit by a storm. I say it is always possible but ships are bigger and safer then they have been in the past.

It is our responsibility to tell people about all of the gvt. releases about ALL of the world:eek: Quite a responsibility, huh?

What is the stonewalling?

What was the devious action? Did I miss the report of the NTSB?

I'm not really interested in your "major fiasco" relative to POA, but why should anyone have any regard for an unsubstantiated statement like that?

Actually I don't need a response at all, I'm just disregarding your entire message as "sour grapes", and would hope you would have better things to do than come over to this board and post such stuff when you have no interest in cruising with NCL. Your post does not appear to be helpful to anyone.

Archived