• Well-traveled
  • Have an income of $75,000 or more
  • Appreciative of quality
  • Informed consumers
  • Unpretentious
  • Interested in culture
  • Socially active

The Celebrity experience is made for clients who:

• Want not just to unwind, but also to rejuvenate.
  • Appreciate comfortable, elegant style, with the outstanding service and amenities that allow them to enjoy each moment to the fullest.
  • Savor the experience of exquisite gourmet cuisine served in an atmosphere of understated elegance.
  • Strive to enrich their minds by learning about diverse cultures, history and wildlife.
  • Are interested in an array of activities, from shopping to dancing the night away.
  • Anticipate opportunities to connect with interesting people

Do yiu agree?

At the risk of getting screamed at, I agree, except for the "have an income of $75,000+". At the rate the Celebrity prices are increasing, it will be more like $150,000.+ soon. :( Have cruised on Summit(2x), Mercury and Millie and loved it, but not enough to pay the increases. My vacation is what I make it and the one or two steps up in "elegance" isn't worth the extra $$ over a RCCL Radiance class cruise. The difference in our next cruise for the same type of accommodations, during the SAME week, on nearly identical itinerarys is over $1000 per person. :eek: Radiance class is nearly the same ship as the "M" class on "X". Extra $$'s not worth it, I can eat every night in the Specialty Restaurant on Radiance and not spend close to that amount. I'll spend the extra when we go to Galapagos but not for a standard Carribbean cruise. Go ahead, blast away if you want, it's JMHO!!! :)

I won't scream at you, Gabbie girl...

Okay, this one, too, may seem a little "politically incorrect", but I'll go ahead anyway...

When I read the OP, I thought "$75,000 or more"...is someone kidding? Do people actually make LESS than $75,000? And, if they ONLY make $75,000, how do they afford to cruise?

Of course, then I realize that money is relative...

The OP lives in Brentwood, Tennessee...

In Brentwood, Tennessee, you can still buy a nice little 4 bedroom, 2,000 square foot house for around a quarter of a million:

http://www.homefinder.com/tennessean/listing_details.jhtml?userId=HSLJS4VRXMYZRLAZGQPSFEY227531&filter_product_id=12715855&searchType=41&sbt=N&search_by_type=new_mls%2Cnew_class%2Cnew_const%2Cresale_mls%2Cresale_class%2Cresale&onTab=1&filter_open_house=N&sort_result_order=site_def_order%2Cattribute_count%2Cprice_desc%2Clisting_age&geo_area_text_lookup_id=65142&areaIdHistory=75597A65437A65142&searchWithoutProdId=true&print=false

In Calabasas, California, where I live, a quarter of a million may buy you an undevelopable 5,000 square foot lot back in the mountains without utility connections...The AVERAGE home price is now over $1.5 million and they're selling buildable lots for $1.5 to 2.5 million for a half acre to full acre lot...

A million dollars in LA today buys you a 2,000 square foot 25 year old house on a postage stamp sized lot in Culver City (Sorry Culver City residents, but it's not exactly Beverly Hills...)...

My brother rents a ONE bedroom, rent-controlled apartment in Santa Monica and that goes for over $2,000 a month...

So, perhaps the guy living in Tennessee can cruise while making $75,000 a year...But, figuring after taxes and other deductions from the paycheck, someone making $75,000 a year in LA is taking home, what, around $4,000 a month? Half of that goes to rent...(hopefully they're single and don't need more than a one-bedroom apartment) Then, Gas is now at around $3 a gallon...Food isn't cheap...utilities? clothes? Nope, they aren't cruising...

Not with ANYONE...

Of course, then it also occurs to me...

Salaries are relative as well...

They guy who's living in a 2,000 square foot house in Arkansas or Nebraska or Tennessee is paying a lot less for housing than the guy in California or New York...But he's also probably earning half as much doing the same job...

In the end, there is NO WAY to categorize someone BY INCOME...Too many variables...

The OP could have just said "higher income" or "more expendable income"...The idea, I think, is that Celebrity is not going after the exceptionally budget conscious cruiser...

Maybe that's Carnival's target...But, the funny thing is that Celebrity's pricing really isn't that out of line with Carnival or anyone else...

So, does money really fit into the equation at all?

Isn't it more a question of what the customer WANTS?

Both the more well to do AND the less advantaged (not the poverty level folks, friends...I just mean those who aren't quite as wealthy as some others)

BOTH cruise with Celebrity? One cruiser may go on a couple of cruises a year and book suites and balconies while another maybe saves up and goes every other year and books an inside...

There's room on board for everyone...

Hi Steve,

The quote is actually from Celebrity Cruises, I just posted it.

Being a travel consulatant, I received this from Celebrity regarding targeting clients. I just thought it was an interesting post.

As far as housing in Brentwood is concerned. I don'tknow of any houses under 3000 sq. ft. My neighborhood has a 3500sq ft minimum. They like to build big houses here. Not far up the hill from me, a neighbor is building a 20,000 sq ft house. My 5300 sq. ft house is considered average. Brentwood Tn. reminds me quite a bit of Brentwood Ca. I lived in Northern California for 18 years prior to moving to Brentwood five years ago.

Our one advantage is that we don't have a state income tax, but do pay 91/2% sales tax on everything.

Statistically, target clientele for Celebrity Cruises are:

• Well-educated
  • Ages 35 to 54-plus
  • Well-traveled
  • Have an income of $75,000 or more
  • Appreciative of quality
  • Informed consumers
  • Unpretentious
  • Interested in culture
  • Socially active

The Celebrity experience is made for clients who:

• Want not just to unwind, but also to rejuvenate.
  • Appreciate comfortable, elegant style, with the outstanding service and amenities that allow them to enjoy each moment to the fullest.
  • Savor the experience of exquisite gourmet cuisine served in an atmosphere of understated elegance.
  • Strive to enrich their minds by learning about diverse cultures, history and wildlife.
  • Are interested in an array of activities, from shopping to dancing the night away.
  • Anticipate opportunities to connect with interesting people

Gee. I just got off the Horizon for my 16th cruise, 5 on Celebrity. I don't make anywhere near 75gs or even 50. I'm on social security and a little extra.

My 10 days on Horizon was the best overall of all my cruises. Cost?

$847 total.

I also am not in the 75K club and live in Calif. What I do and I am sure others do is I book a cruise about every 18 months and pay it over that time. That way not that bad.

As far as Celebrity pricing if they keep distancing themselve from the other mass market cruise lines in price I will leave Celebrity

I am currently booked on a 10 day Summit in Sept just so people know in case the desire to flame is there!

I love Celebrity but the one thing I noticed is that what really set Celebrity apart 6 years ago was the cuisine. The rest of the mass market took notice and even though it pains me I went on my second Carnival cruise a couple years ago and whereas before I swore I would never cruise them again that is not my position anymore.

So Celebrity better be careful because there is a price point. My take on the Celebrity cruiser is that they are your middle class that wants for that one point in time to pretend they are part of the lifestyles of the rich and shameless and Celebrity provided a stellar product. If they outstrip their competition then the extra ambience won't outweigh the extra money.\\

At that point who is there target market because people with more money will go to Crystal etc.

AuntDebra-

I don't live in CA but agree with you. I love Celebrity too, but if it continues it's current price escalation I can and will find equally enjoyable cruise vacations elsewhere. "X" may or may not care, but I'm not getting "taken" for food that's one step better(and in many cases not even that now). Service on my last cruise with RCCL was equal or better than 3 out of 4 "X" cruises. Why pay more if that's the case?

and folks are now inside category only!

We were quite shocked at almost $6K for 2, 14 months in advance for 11/20 Summit Transcanal. I look at rates today & it is thru the roof, and we got a deal?

We are used to cruising 3 weeks a year. But with the new prices, the higher airfare to get to/from the ports, we are down to 2 weeks max booked 14 months out front. CC is $100 a couple more & to us worth it. But not a penny more for it, or we will take 6016 2C and be happy. But the rate on a 2C is comparable to 1B of old days.

RCCL has some nice air included deals, but we are Select, 1 point from Elite that we won't get from RCCL. We are waiting til Freedom is ready to sail & we will jump on her since we will be Elite during Transcanal.

We are getting plenty of mail from Radisson, and other luxury lines that are pretty close in price to X on some itineraries.

But if they close the stockholder benefits come 5/1/2005 that will be a major mistake, losing them plenty of folks selling off & the fall of the stock.

Folks, it's only recently that Celebrity and other lines have been able to begin recovering from the depressed fares following the tradegy of 9-11. Of course the economy also went south beginning in 2000 which combined with a new ship building boom further held prices unrealistically low.

During that period, I've cruised solo on Celebrity for as little as $400 for a 7 day cruise.

I just completed a 10 day cruise on Horizon, the best food and service out of 5 Celebrity and 16 total cruises, for a fare of $847 total.

The building boom of ships has ended. 12 new ships for the North American market last year and only three this year, while cruising is growing at a 10% rate. Could it be that we are spoiled by recent prices? I think that most veteran cruisers can see these facts but those cruisers that are relatively new to this vacation venue, possibly first attracted by the exceptional value, will move onto other leisure travel. Prices will rise. Ships will continue sailing full.

Celelbrity and for that matter most of the other cruise lines forcast 2005/2006 to be banner years.

We'll see few bargains, and much less discountung. Let's hope Celebrity doesn't price itsellf out of the market for a lot of it's loyal clients.

Mari

I have a thought to add here. Celebrity expects well educated, well traveled people? I am all of the above plus my income is over the mark. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am smart enough to look for a bargain! I am not a sheep who follows just because I am advised to. Cruising is a bargain compared to land based vacations in Europe, however if they raise the cost, they also raise the bar. Why not investigate other options..other lines, hotels etc. I always liked the idea that I had the opportunity to bargain hunt for my cruises, if Celebrity is going to change the game, perhaps the well educated, well paid, well traveled crowd will travel elsewhere! In addition, well traveled etc, etc people like to be treated in a more professional manner, so if celebrity does NOT rise to the occasion and beef up their customer service for their clients, they will lose their loyal customer base!

I certainly don't expect to cruise on my 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice line to save

10 or 15%. More than that I will cruise a little less or an occaisional land vacation. I still want to see Prague and another trip to Merida, Mx.

As I mentioned in my previous post, 847 for a 10 day cruise was an extreme bargain and I will watch for more. Jeesh. I eat more than that. lol

As far as housing in Brentwood is concerned. I don'tknow of any houses under 3000 sq. ft. My neighborhood has a 3500sq ft minimum. They like to build big houses here. Not far up the hill from me, a neighbor is building a 20,000 sq ft house. My 5300 sq. ft house is considered average.

I lived in the Oak Ridge, Tennessee, area for many, many years and remember Brentwood as being a very upscale suburb of Nashville. I doubt if any of the residents in Mari's subdivision make less than $150,000-$200,000 a year.

Here in Charlotte, a 1900-2300 square-foot house in a decent neighborhood will run about $175,000, new or used. Most of the nicer subdivisions are no older than 10-12 years, though. Just old enough for the landscaping to look nice. In the more-exclusive subdivisions or on the lake, houses in the 2500-3500 square-foot range start at maybe $350,000 and run on up to a million plus, but these are gorgeous homes.

Allen

As I mentioned in my previous post, 847 for a 10 day cruise was an extreme bargain and I will watch for more. Jeesh. I eat more than that. lol

Maybe I'm just not in the loop, but I haven't noticed Celebrity's prices as being any higher than the other "mass market" cruiselines.

We generally cruise for the itinerary first, and usually go with the ship which fits our desired itinerary and also has the best price. If the prices are very close together, we choose Celebrity, because we love the M-class ships and feel the service and other little extras are lacking on the other affordable lines.

In the past couple of years, we have taken a 7-day Western Caribbean trip on the Nordic Empress for $399 each, a 10-day Southern Caribbean on Summit for $650 each and were upgraded to an outside cabin, a 14-day balcony cabin to the Baltics on Constellation for $2300 each, an 8-day outside cabin to Bermuda for $599 last October, and currently have an outside cabin booked for 12 days on the Brilliance of the Seas for the Mediterranean, Greek Isles and Turkey for $2100 each. The only reasons we're taking RCCL on this one is the itinerary... the Millenium's price was very similar, but didn't include Turkey. And on the Empress and Summit, I won enough at blackjack to pay for my share of the fare. On the Summit, though, I had to win the blackjack tournament to squeeze it out. :)

I keep hearing about Celebrity's "outrageous" prices, but I personally have seen no evidence of it. Of course, I'll probably get put down for enjoying cabins below the CC and suite level, and that the "outrageous" prices are for the better suites. If you can even consider the better suites, then you can probably afford to pay for them .:D

Allen

Hdawson..

I would love to get bargains as well, however my time to travel coincides with holiday sailings. I cannot find the prices you are quoting...Too BAD!

Our 10-day Summit sailing for $650 each was over Thanksgiving, but maybe that was just a fluke.

Allen

Allen. So true. The suites are the least price sensitive customers. I also think that now booking so early is not the best shopping. Some of us cannot afford exactly what we would like to have. Fact of life. I'm amazed how many are looking for itens and pricing for July and Aug of 2006. I suspect that would result in paying the very highest fares. The same for airline bookings. Many airlines only publish schedules 6 months out. Nobody even knows what airlines will be in business next summer. Celebrity will have to evaluate how sucessful their 05 European cruises were before they can plan 2006.

Having also been on on other mass market lines, I can say that the food is not as good on RCCL or Princess (entertainment better) and I'm don't think it's worth it to save $100-200 to have a lesser quality enjoyment. On the other hand on my relative worth scale, IMHO I'm not willing to pay $1000s

more for the ultra premium cruises (Crystal, Seabourn, etc)

Income alone doesn't determine who can afford to take frequent cruises. A lot depends on your stage of life. There are a number of people who bought homes in upscale communities years years ago for just a few hundred thousand dollars, but their home is worth considerably more today, and they no longer have a mortgage. These long term homeowners obviously have more disposable income than their neighbor who recently bought a similar home and are currently burdened with mortgage payments based on their purchase price. Shortly after our daughter's wedding , my husband jokingly commented, "now that we are done paying for college tuition and weddings. I feel as if I got a big raise" I am sure there are a lot of empty nesters who can identify with my husband's joke which is another example of the point I am trying to make.

This has been an interesting read thus far. I guess we fit into the typical Celebrity cruiser category according to their market research - yes, well educated, cultural and all that crap - Income is relative in many respects. I used to live in NY - my salary was double what it is here in New Orleans but my cost of living is less, we out more because its cheaper here and so forth and so on. We are relatively new to cruising - upcoming Infinity sailing on May 16 to Alaska is our most expensive trip thus far, just over $5K for a 2c balcony but we find that its average pricing like the rest - we probably have spent the same amount per day, rougly $200 per day, per person. The best deal we've gotten I think was RCCL Grandeur of the Seas out of New Orleans for less than a grand per person for a junior suite.

We choice Celebrity this time around because we wanted to try a new cruise line, we liked the itinerary - that was most important to us and second was cost. It fit our budget, which for Alaska we knew would be higher than doing another Caribbean trip. BUT, our expectations are higher as well with Celebrity than with other cruise lines - not Crystal but not Carnival either!

Rick

Seems to me that $75,000 of income is a reasonable target for incomes. Don't forget that this would be for an average cruise of 7 days (the majority of cruises) and with the cost of cruises in the the carribean this is quite reasonable. As far as the cost of cruises going up people have short memories-at least those who have been cruising ten years or more. To put it in perspective in 1988 I took my first cruise on a small Cunard ship (The Countess) in the Carribean for 7 days in July and the cheapest outside cabin ( a porthole) cost us $1300 each. 3 years later on the same ship for an inside cabin the cost was 1200 each (both cruises were at a decent discount).The soveign of the seas was sailing at that time and 7 day cruises for the Carib in the summer were also around $ 1200 each for an inside cabin. When cruising became as popular as it is today tons of ships with high capacities were built and the prices went way down. Even in the Med this is evident. Before 1997 the American lines (American clientele)did not even sail there except for 2 small ships from Princess. In 1998 I sailed on the Vision of the Seas for a bargain price of $1200 for an inside cabin for a 7 day Med cruise in July. Now the same experience can be had for $1000.

I am not happy with the rising prices but they are still reasonably priced. As far as Celebrity prices if they are out of wack market forces will adjust them over the long run. I hope this puts it all in perspective.

in 1988 I took my first cruise on a small Cunard ship (The Countess) in the Carribean for 7 days in July and the cheapest outside cabin ( a porthole) cost us $1300 each.

Our first cruise was in 1986 on our honeymoon on NCL's Southward. It was seven days from Miami to Nassau, St. Thomas, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic: and Coco Cay. It was an inside for $995 each. We were upgraded to an outside, but it had a small porthole which had salt encrusted on it and was almost impossible to look out, and it seems like you had to stand on the bed in order to even try. In 2002, we did a seven-day Western Caribbean and Belize on the Nordic Empress for $399 each. And over Thanksgiving in 2003, we did a 10-day Southern Caribbean on Celebrity's Summit for $650 and were upgraded to an outside cabin with a nice big picture window.

Allen

Archived