Norwegian GEM Kids Crew

vanilaise

What about the over 2 not yet 3s? These are the kids who really have had things changed up. Just waiting for someone to come off the Gem and report on how they grouped kids in this age group. :). Hopefully not with the infants, as the verbiage NCL released made it sound.

I went last week (wrote that review quoted earlier) and I have a 12 yo boy and 10 yo girl, so I dunno about any of the groups other than the 10-12 yo's.

Didn't keep any of the itineraries (SORRY!), but it was jam packed with activities. Like I said in the review, asked a couple who'd had kids in the NCL Kids Club before and they said that was the big difference.

LOTS of activities, inside and outside (Sport Court stuff), and finished the week with a "Family Circus" where the kids performed for the families in the theater. Simple stuff like juggling, etc. My 10 yo girl loved that - my 12 yo son was "too cool."

The 10-12 yo's did spend their inside time in what used to be the Teen area, past the video game lounge (I'm guessing, since the sign on the door said "Teen Crew"), separate from the younger kids.

Again, I'm a newbie, so I don't what changed, exactly, but happy to answer questions.

I'm going on the Jewel in two weeks, so will let you know when I get back March 24 or so.

We have an 8, 5 and 3 year old. Youngest just turns three, so not quite in the same age dilemma, but I'll bring back Kids Club schedule and will try to post details.

Well this one is not exactly for the Gem but it is for the Star, I'm sure that there is not that big of a difference, here is the link for it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1583539

That is the old kids crew program. I believe what the OP is looking for is anyone that has any information or experience with the new kids crew program, which started on the Gem Feb. 19th and is going fleet wide after that.

maybe this isome BIG secret and you arent allowed to talk about it after you get off the ship?

:D

I checked the roll call of that sailing and I didn't see any regular posters on it. So chances are you are just going to have to wait for another sailing.

Vanilaise, We are sailing 4/1 on GEM. When are you sailing? I have my 5 year old son and his 3 older cousins with us. My 5YO is a seasoned cruiser. This will be his 4th cruise. He loved Camp Carnival on Triumph and Pride. I have been on Gem without him and their Kids facilities look great. This will be our first time with NCL's kids program. My son loves Sponge Bob so he was excited when we found out they would have the Nick caracters on the GEM for our cruise. If you are not cruiseing before me I promise to report back. I know how frustrating it can be planning a cruise and not knowing where your kids will fit in. My sons 1st cruise was on RCCL Explorer and their program for the 2YO's at that time was not much to talk about.

Hi All. I was on the Gem for the Feb 19 sailing and was traveling with my daughters ages 11 and 5. They didn't spend a ton of time in "Treetops" so I don't know how helpful I will be, but both children did go on a couple of different days for a few hours.

This was my first cruise ever so I really don't have a basis for comparison to what the previous program was, but there wasn't anything that seemed extraordinary. This was the first Nick cruise on the Gem so there was character meet and greets, but this took place outside of the Treetops kids area.

In any event the kids "Dailies" for the Feb 19 Gem sailing can be found at the below Flickr link (for the 2-5 and 10-12 groups, I didnt grab the others). Hopefully I get the link correct.....I tried uploading but my files were too big.

photostream

In any event the kids "Dailies" for the Feb 19 Gem sailing can be found at the below Flickr link (for the 2-5 and 10-12 groups, I didnt grab the others).

Interesting! It appears that Kid's Crew is now free in port, except for 1-hour periods for lunch and dinner, which still incur a charge.

Hi All. I was on the Gem for the Feb 19 sailing and was traveling with my daughters ages 11 and 5. They didn't spend a ton of time in "Treetops" so I don't know how helpful I will be, but both children did go on a couple of different days for a few hours.

This was my first cruise ever so I really don't have a basis for comparison to what the previous program was, but there wasn't anything that seemed extraordinary. This was the first Nick cruise on the Gem so there was character meet and greets, but this took place outside of the Treetops kids area.

In any event the kids "Dailies" for the Feb 19 Gem sailing can be found at the below Flickr link (for the 2-5 and 10-12 groups, I didnt grab the others). Hopefully I get the link correct.....I tried uploading but my files were too big.

photostream

Sorry, but I don't see anything different. I'm looking at the 2-5 program that I got 2 weeks ago off the Epic. The listing of ages and daily activities are the same, with a couple things switched around. It appears, IMHO that they really did not implement anything different on the Gem 2/19, unless they gave something to those that have kids under 2.

Also to address the port play charge thing. In the events list, the $ sign is listed after the words port play, meaning there IS a charge. When you pay for port play, they will take your children to lunch or dinner, whichever is appropriate

Also to address the port play charge thing. In the events list, the $ sign is listed after the words port play, meaning there IS a charge. When you pay for port play, they will take your children to lunch or dinner, whichever is appropriate

The difference is that the dollar sign is listed only for the mealtime hour, not for the rest of the day. And in the fine print, it also mentions a fee for Port Play meal time, but no charge is mentioned for the rest of the day.

On my previous NCL cruises, the per hour Port Play fee applied to all daytime hours, not just mealtimes. And the recently posted kids' activities on the Star, which still has the "old" Kid's Crew, included daytime fees for Port Play: link.

So it appears a change has been made, making Kid's Crew much cheaper on port days.

Archived