Norwegian GEM Kids Crew

vanilaise

Another sailing has come back since the "New" Kids Program was to be started on the Gem. Anyone with any info to report? Awaiting info on the two - three year old groups.

Another group gets home today, so maybe there will be more info... Looks like we may be out of luck for those under two? And the two-three year olds are a question mark.

Just back today from a 7 day sailing on the GEM. The unders 2's are in the "under 2 zoo". There are activities planned daily for this group but they are all with parental supervision, no drop off. The 2-5 age group is drop off and the 6-9yr olds were together in a drop off group. In the 2-5 if your child wasn't potty trained you are given a phone and you receive a call if a child needs assistance with diapers.

Any other questions?

So, if under 2s are no drop-off and 2-5 is still together, is this really that different than before? Not to have unrealistic expectations, as we are new to cruising with kids; but, for the under 2 set, from what I read so far, it sounds like a lot of hoopla for a minor change... But maybe I am missing something?

So, if under 2s are no drop-off and 2-5 is still together, is this really that different than before? Not to have unrealistic expectations, as we are new to cruising with kids; but, for the under 2 set, from what I read so far, it sounds like a lot of hoopla for a minor change... But maybe I am missing something?

LOL no you are not missing anything. The press release NCL put out in Jan. stated

"The new age groups will be: three to five years; six to eight years; nine to 12 years; along with two teen groups: 13 to 14 and 15 to 17 years. There will also be programming for babies and toddlers ages six months to two years."

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_010512

Obviously something changed between the time they released that information and the time it was suppose to have been implemented. Maybe they are just going to phase something in slowly now.

Hey all

Check out the latest "sticky" on the new NCL Kids program.

More info also on the NCL website.

Still very unclear and confusing as to the 2-3 age range. One section on the NCL family/kids area it says program is 6mos-2ys and 3-5yrs, 6-9, 10-12 and 13-17. But in another paragraph on the same page it talks about group sitting for 2-12. Also no reference to the broken up teenage group like the 1st press release stated.

Some day maybe NCL will figure out what they are doing with the new kids club

There is also info on when each ship will implement the new program

Very, very disappointed to hear that the 2 - 3 year olds will be with the six month olds. From what I read, it doesn't seem that this age group will have a dropoff program either. Extremely unfair for those of us that have booked a cruise with children in this age group expecting to have a dropoff program and now the activities are with parental involvement and the children are included with six month olds. We booked this upcoming cruise with the specific reason that our four grandchildren would be together in the 2 - 5 year old group. My PCC is not in the office until Monday and I will try to reach her then for some info regarding this situation. We have booked three mini-suites for our family cruise and according to the news release, the new kids program will be in effect on the Star May 6.

Very, very disappointed to hear that the 2 - 3 year olds will be with the six month olds. From what I read, it doesn't seem that this age group will have a dropoff program either. Extremely unfair for those of us that have booked a cruise with children in this age group expecting to have a dropoff program and now the activities are with parental involvement and the children are included with six month olds. We booked this upcoming cruise with the specific reason that our four grandchildren would be together in the 2 - 5 year old group. My PCC is not in the office until Monday and I will try to reach her then for some info regarding this situation. We have booked three mini-suites for our family cruise and according to the news release, the new kids program will be in effect on the Star May 6.

Based on what was stated above by the recent cruiser, The 2-5 age group is drop off.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with the grands!!!

Ack it won't let me copy/paste it! I just got an email from Norwegian. I asked for clarification and the Guppies group is WITH parents. The 2 year olds are going to be WITH parents under the new program. I hope they rethink this!!!

I don't understand how some are getting assurances by NCL that the 2-3 year olds will be with the 3 - 5 year olds (as in the past) and in a drop off program and others are being told that the 2-3 year olds are with the six month babies and must be supervised by their parents. This is a real stepdown alright for this group of children and a big let down to all the parents who booked their cruises with the knowledge and expectation that these almost threes will be in a drop off program. What kind of an improved KId's Program is this to this age group? This is the main reason for us to be cruising this summer to have an almost three year old in a drop off program. This is why we booked NCL for this summer for our family cruise. NCL are you listening to the parents of 2-3 year olds?

Just got off the Jewel today in NY and the kids club ages were the traditional ones...i.e. under 2 was only during the "Under two zoo" with parental supervision, and 2-5 year olds were drop-off. 6-9 was the next age group up, and they stick to the age groups religiously.

For families who like Nickleodeon characters, you'll love the Jewel program. Our 2 yo got to meet Dora, Diego and Spongebob throughout the week.

If they are changing the program, they haven't implemented it yet on the Jewel.

Hope that helps others who are wondering about the program for kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It hasn't been implemented on Jewel yet, so no that doesn't calm our fears ;) "Launch dates are as follows: Norwegian Jewel on April 21; Norwegian Star on May 6; Norwegian Dawn on May 25; Norwegian Epic on May 27; Norwegian Pearl on June 17; Norwegian Jade on June 30; Norwegian Sky on July 16; Norwegian Sun on July 24; Norwegian Spirit on August 14 and Pride of America on August 25. Norwegian Breakaway launching in April 2013 will also feature the new youth and teen programs.

Further information on Norwegian's family offerings can be found at www.ncl.com/family."

As a grandparent taking the kids on the Gem in June, I have a quick question. Do they feed the children or is it your responsibility to get them at lunchtime and take them for lunch?

It is your responsibilty to get them and feed them. When I went to drop off my kids last week, a little girl complained to the staff that she was "hungry". I looked at my watch and it was 2:30pm. The staff looked at the board and realized her parents had dropped her off at 9:30am.

Anyone get any feedback yet from NCL regarding the 2 to 3 year old situation?

I just received a reply from Guest Relations this morning. It seems that the program hasn't started yet. From the email I received it looks like we are good, at least for our sailing on 4/8.

Good morning

This is the response I received this morning regarding your inquiry:

“ Please inform Mrs, **** that the drop off program will still be available for her two year old.

As we are greatly anticipating our new programs for the 6 months to 2 year olds, it won’t be in place by the sailing April 8th.

We look forward to having her and her family sail with us on April 8th on the Gem”.

Best regards

Guest Relations

Norwegian Cruise Line ®

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

Freestyle Cruising ®

ncl.com

I just received a reply from Guest Relations this morning. It seems that the program hasn't started yet. From the email I received it looks like we are good, at least for our sailing on 4/8.

Good morning

This is the response I received this morning regarding your inquiry:

“ Please inform Mrs, **** that the drop off program will still be available for her two year old.

As we are greatly anticipating our new programs for the 6 months to 2 year olds, it won’t be in place by the sailing April 8th.

We look forward to having her and her family sail with us on April 8th on the Gem”.

Best regards

Guest Relations

Norwegian Cruise Line ®

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

Freestyle Cruising ®

ncl.com

I'm glad to hear that you are safe right now for a drop off program.. It must be a relief to you and others that are sailing in the near future.

This still isn't an answer for anyone sailing at a later date as to the status of what they're doing with the 2 - 3 year olds. Are they having a drop off program for them as in the past or is it with parential supervision with the six month babies? Why can't we get a clear answer to our question?

I'm glad to hear that you are safe right now for a drop off program.. It must be a relief to you and others that are sailing in the near future.

This still isn't an answer for anyone sailing at a later date as to the status of what they're doing with the 2 - 3 year olds. Are they having a drop off program for them as in the past or is it with parential supervision with the six month babies? Why can't we get a clear answer to our question?

Have you tried calling Guest Relations? I've had all my questions answered when I called. The number is on the NCL website under contact us.

Have you tried calling Guest Relations? I've had all my questions answered when I called. The number is on the NCL website under contact us.

I called Guest Relations - no positive response for an almost three year old. They connected me to Pre-Cruise Dept supervisor. She informed me it will be fully implemented on the Star on May 6 and on all ships on their launch date. The 2 - 3 year olds will be with the six month babies to 2 year olds and their parents no exceptions and no nursery program either. Also spoke to guest relations again and they connected me to a supervisor in CAS who stated the same thing. She spoke to someone in the Help Desk who repeated that it is fully implemented on all ships on the launch date and is fully implemented on the Gem also now. She said they are very strict regarding the ages and this was changed in February. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I called Guest Relations - no positive response for an almost three year old. They connected me to Pre-Cruise Dept supervisor. She informed me it will be fully implemented on the Star on May 6 and on all ships on their launch date. The 2 - 3 year olds will be with the six month babies to 2 year olds and their parents no exceptions and no nursery program either. Also spoke to guest relations again and they connected me to a supervisor in CAS who stated the same thing. She spoke to someone in the Help Desk who repeated that it is fully implemented on all ships on the launch date and is fully implemented on the Gem also now. She said they are very strict regarding the ages and this was changed in February. Anyone else have any other ideas?

When did you call? The response I got today was that the 6m-2y program wasn't in place yet on the Gem. I guess I'll just have to wait until we are on the ship in 12 days. I plan on bringing copies of all the emails I received. I'll be sure to let you know if I find out anything more.

When did you call? The response I got today was that the 6m-2y program wasn't in place yet on the Gem. I guess I'll just have to wait until we are on the ship in 12 days. I plan on bringing copies of all the emails I received. I'll be sure to let you know if I find out anything more.

I called and got the run-around today!!!

That's funny since 2 of NCL press releases indicated that the Gem WAS the first to do the "new" kids program.

Archived