Almost "LIVE" Jewel Feb 18; Late but Great! (the ship, not the review!)

Aww thanks!! I do a certain kind...lots of details, some people HATE that...but I LOVE reading reviews like that myself when I am preparing to travel, so yes, thtas what I d Enjoy Jewel, unless they've run her aground since Feb, I don't think you will be disappointed!

LOL! DId you see the late part?;) We didn't pass under the bridge till a tick after midnight!:eek: But thats the long tale of woe at the start of this review!

In general ( I researched this extensively, only to have all my plans blown away:o)the ship will pass under the bridge about 1 hour and 15 - 20 minutes after sail away. Usually sail away is right after muster. SO if muster is 4:30 (which is typical), sailaway at 5PM, you can expect to be at the bridge around 6- 6:30 PM.

So plan dinner accordingly! If you have early seating you will be eating when the bridge comes up if you depart on schedule. We actually ate at the WJ on the first night because of our late departure the MDR was open seating from the time we boarded, which wasnt till 6 pM and that seemed like it would be a mess! ) SO if you wan to see the bridge, plan a late dinner- select late seating, or a late MTD time, or eat at the WJ or specialty restaurant.

Its worth seeing, very cool! I have a (very bad) photo in this review because we were getting ready for bed when DD said- hey look out the window...and since we were in an aft cabin, we caught it after we went under.:D

Thanks! Yes I did see that part of the review, but I've been reading small pieces for the last week or so, so I didn't remember. Thanks for sharing your extensive research though! We have dinner at 8:30 on the first night, so it seems like we should pass under by 6:30 p.m. the latest, if we sail on time at 5:00 p.m. However, I've seen a compass from the four-nighter with only Cozumel as a port (which is what we're doing) that was scheduled to depart at 4:30. With your time estimate, that should put as at the bridge around 5:45ish. (Again, all assuming an on-time departure.) With the first night's show starting at 7:45 p.m. (which we like going to), that means my fiance has to start getting ready around 6:30ish. Thus, we might be cutting it a bit close. Hopefully we sail on the earlier side, however, and can see it from the top decks. If not, I'm sure the balcony will be nice too.

Our last cruise left from New Jersey, so we sailed under the Verazzano Bridge. It was December and relatively cold, but everyone rushed to the top decks to see it, and it was a lot of fun.

Thanks again for the great review!

Thanks! Yes I did see that part of the review, but I've been reading small pieces for the last week or so, so I didn't remember. Thanks for sharing your extensive research though! We have dinner at 8:30 on the first night, so it seems like we should pass under by 6:30 p.m. the latest, if we sail on time at 5:00 p.m. However, I've seen a compass from the four-nighter with only Cozumel as a port (which is what we're doing) that was scheduled to depart at 4:30. With your time estimate, that should put as at the bridge around 5:45ish. (Again, all assuming an on-time departure.) With the first night's show starting at 7:45 p.m. (which we like going to), that means my fiance has to start getting ready around 6:30ish. Thus, we might be cutting it a bit close. Hopefully we sail on the earlier side, however, and can see it from the top decks. If not, I'm sure the balcony will be nice too.

Our last cruise left from New Jersey, so we sailed under the Verazzano Bridge. It was December and relatively cold, but everyone rushed to the top decks to see it, and it was a lot of fun.

Thanks again for the great review!

You should make it! The welcome aboard show is pretty good, but nothing spectacular, but you do get to meet the CD, which is important to some people. I understand prep time:p- here's something we've done when we want to enjoy those sail away- we shower right after the muster ( while the other unpacks) then just toss on sweats or something to go on deck. Then we go back to the cabin where we dress and I do my hair and put on " a face" ( which I do so rarely it's takes a while:rolleyes:) Just a thought if it works for you! You can def see the bridge from the balcony- you just won't get much " warning" till you are pretty close and once you go by, that's it. The top deck would be more panoramic!

I really love the videos I've seen of the ships passing by the Verazzano- I've always wanted to do a NY cruise to see that and the skyline, but I'm not sure we would last a week onboard with all those NY sports fans on a NY homeport. ;):D

There's an excellent chance my DD will be going to school in Philly next year, in which case Ill be checking prices out of NJ and Ny frequently since Ill be down there all the time anyway!

Have fun on Jewel! BTW- in my research many people said the capt announces that the bridge coming up, in public areas. And he will tell you at muster before he dismisses everyone the approx time he expects to be at the bridge, but so many people are yapping you might miss it.

You should make it! The welcome aboard show is pretty good, but nothing spectacular, but you do get to meet the CD, which is important to some people. I understand prep time:p- here's something we've done when we want to enjoy those sail away- we shower right after the muster ( while the other unpacks) then just toss on sweats or something to go on deck. Then we go back to the cabin where we dress and I do my hair and put on " a face" ( which I do so rarely it's takes a while:rolleyes:) Just a thought if it works for you! You can def see the bridge from the balcony- you just won't get much " warning" till you are pretty close and once you go by, that's it. The top deck would be more panoramic!

I really love the videos I've seen of the ships passing by the Verazzano- I've always wanted to do a NY cruise to see that and the skyline, but I'm not sure we would last a week onboard with all those NY sports fans on a NY homeport. ;):D

There's an excellent chance my DD will be going to school in Philly next year, in which case Ill be checking prices out of NJ and Ny frequently since Ill be down there all the time anyway!

Have fun on Jewel! BTW- in my research many people said the capt announces that the bridge coming up, in public areas. And he will tell you at muster before he dismisses everyone the approx time he expects to be at the bridge, but so many people are yapping you might miss it.

Thanks for the advice. We will definitely keep our ears open for the announcement. I also agree with you about the balcony versus the upper decks--we will definitely try to get up there.

Sailing out of NJ was much nicer than I expected. Though it was cold, we had a great view of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty from the ship. The port staff was also great--we were checked in and on the ship in literally no time, and debarkation was just as smooth.

• 4 months later...
Awesome review... I have saved this post for further reading. My DH and I are looking to go on the Jewel in May. I was wondering if you posted the Compass for Day 2? I seen the rest of the days, but not that one. Perhaps I missed it.

You missed it because I missed it at the time:o !!! I forgot to put it at the end of day 2 and its in post 84 after the start of day 3:D

I think you will love Jewel!! We plan to take Brilliance next year, similar itinerary, it was a fun "girls" cruise!

Archived