Did You Go on Your Own (Western Carribean) in Port?

TPFilm

Never been there, but what I understand is that Jamaica is only safe in the tourist areas. That is the one place that the liners go to that you should heed the warnings. For the most up to date tourist information visit the government web site: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

The liners go where they go because they receive money. That's why the other Carribean islands aren't visited... the governments can't afford to pay for cruise ship visitation or they don't want the flood of tourists.

As with any foreign country, use caution. While Mexico gets alot of tourist money (especially from US) it is still a third world country. Albeit a safe one compared to Jamaica.

Keep up the posts... This is getting interesting.

lil nemo - Before I booked with Soto's, I reserached that very problem. Most of the operators do not charge you if uou don't make it beacuase the ship wasn't in port. In fact, many do not require payment until you arrive. These people depend on word of mouth. Check out the Ports of Call Boars and you will find a wealth of person experience to base your decision of who you can trust and who you can't. The cruise line will tell you about how dangerous the island is, or how these independent operators might be using inferior equipment. That is a load of ****. They just want you to book with them. As I said in my original reply, there is a ton of information out there, a little research can have a big payoff.

I have researched and the tours that we have been interested in have you guarentee with a credit card. And the website of where you book the tours on numerous sites, repeatly claim no refunds. I personally wouldn't catch a snorkel tour or horseback, diving from someone off the pier.

I would however do city tours or specific destinations from cabby tour guides.

I also take note when a ship lne heeds me warning, so far the lines have only done scare tactic in 2 of our ports of call out of 20! and they were right both times!

I have

I also take note when a ship lne heeds me warning, so far the lines have only done scare tactic in 2 of our ports of call out of 20! and they were right both times!

What ports?

TPFilm-

We have been to Cozumel 10 times and always rent a Jeep and drive all around the island. It is safe, we have even loaded the back seat up with our 3 kids. We wear our bathing suits under clothing and pull the Jeep over where ever along the trip and jump in the water. It is a blast. We always do the samethings. There is a Bob Marley bar at the bend inthe road that has great tapas and cold beer. Bring a permanent marker to write on patio furniture. Too cool. We always pay the $10 or $12 bucks to go into the park that houses the lighthouse. You can climb straight up it all on your own! The also have animals to view and their own private beach with snorkeling. The best.

I think that you should try it rent a car and go for it! It comes with a map, just need to fill tank up before you bring it back and there is only to gas stations on island!

Last summer when hurricane Jeanne struck we were on the eastern Princess CP....they changed to the western due to the hurricane and we went to Jamaica.....since we had never done an excursion there we went thru Princess and did the Jimmy Buffetville Negril beach excursion and it ended up being one of the best and funniest things we have ever done....good luck!

DC

TPFilm-

We have been to Cozumel 10 times and always rent a Jeep and drive all around the island. It is safe, we have even loaded the back seat up with our 3 kids. We wear our bathing suits under clothing and pull the Jeep over where ever along the trip and jump in the water. It is a blast. We always do the samethings. There is a Bob Marley bar at the bend inthe road that has great tapas and cold beer. Bring a permanent marker to write on patio furniture. Too cool. We always pay the $10 or $12 bucks to go into the park that houses the lighthouse. You can climb straight up it all on your own! The also have animals to view and their own private beach with snorkeling. The best.!

We did that a few years ago when we were on the Imagination. Had a blast, discovered Coconuts, went to the lighthouse (have a great picture of it with the ruins of the Mayan light marker in the foreground.) We will be doing that again.

QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO DID THEIR OWN THING IN COZUMEL OR MAY HAVE DONE THE DUNE BUGGY TOUR: the "road" that leads to the northern point of Cozumel... is it driveable with, say, a VW Safari (members older than 28 will know that car as the VW Thing) or a Chevy/GEO Tracker that is two wheel drive? There is a place at the point where the highway turns to the left away from the coast and back to San Miguel that offers dune buggy and ATV tours from this point to the northern tip of Cozumel. From what I understand, this road to the N tip is sandy and not good for cars.

Anyone been on this road?

QUESTION FOR COSTA MAYA & BELIZE PORTS: What did you do?

Last summer when hurricane Jeanne struck we were on the eastern Princess CP....they changed to the western due to the hurricane and we went to Jamaica.....since we had never done an excursion there we went thru Princess and did the Jimmy Buffetville Negril beach excursion and it ended up being one of the best and funniest things we have ever done....good luck!

DC

Disneycruiser#1 did your ship dock in Ocho Rios or in Montego bay? How much did the excursion cost? How long was it? How long did it take you to get to Negril?

QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO DID THEIR OWN THING IN COZUMEL OR MAY HAVE DONE THE DUNE BUGGY TOUR: the "road" that leads to the northern point of Cozumel... is it driveable with, say, a VW Safari (members older than 28 will know that car as the VW Thing) or a Chevy/GEO Tracker that is two wheel drive? There is a place at the point where the highway turns to the left away from the coast and back to San Miguel that offers dune buggy and ATV tours from this point to the northern tip of Cozumel. From what I understand, this road to the N tip is sandy and not good for cars.

Anyone been on this road?

QUESTION FOR COSTA MAYA & BELIZE PORTS: What did you do?

Anyone?

pooh012- We docked in Montego Bay. Remember this was a last minute switch due to the HUGE hurricane end of August/first of September 2004 and turned into a 9 night cruise....We were on the Caribbean Princess (great ship) and were set to go eastern but at the last minute it was changed to the Western bc of the weather. Since we had never been to this port we did go through Princess for the Negril Excursion. We took an AC bus to Negril. I would say it was a good 45 minute drive but was really interesting. You go through small towns and get a very good look at the country of Jamaica. I think it was around $45 each for the excursion which took us to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville in Negril. It is a very small beach but has nice sand, chairs, umbrellas and security. I thought the Bahamas and Mexico were bad but they literally had guys keeping the locals out. Some would slip by and ask us and others if we wanted to ourchase "pirated cigarettes" or worse.......they DO warn you on the bus ride to be very careful of buying anything and the fines for breaking the law are severe. My husband was out on the water trampoline and he was the only one out there. The water is nice and clear and calm. I could see this very tall man swimming about 30 feet of shore right by him but did not think anything about it. The couple in front of us started laughing and told me to look at my husband so I put down my book and did the local manl swam right up to my husband who was on the water trampoline and tried to sell him pot.....of course my husband told him no but he could not stop laughing. We watched him continue his swim all of the way down the beach and continue to stop and ask people to buy from him while holding his zip lock bag above his head as he swam.....maybe you had to be there but you have to give it to the guy for creativity (lol)....

DC

Do Not rent from less pay in cozumel. Our 44 jeep ended up costing us $80. They said we didn't have enough gas in it so charged us $10, then I had to put on CC because I had just enough cash. and that was a huge percentage just to use it. I complained, but they had me over a barrell. I had to get back to the ship! So, I paid. They had assured me someone would be available to take me back, because I had to take the jeep back in town, but no one seemed to want to. Finally had to compensate one of the guys to take me back. I was worried that I would be late. Any way, I tried to negotiate with the owner when I got back to no avail. So, the only way I can feel justified is to let people know of my experience with this company. Good Luck!

I have done it both ways - through the ship and on our own. There are benefits to both. Of the times that I arranged my own, all the tour operators did not charge you unitl you are finished on the tour, and all said that if the ship doesn't pull into port, there would be no charge.

Some of the things we did thorugh the ship were two different jeep tours in Coz - both were fun and I wish I knew all the places we stoped at names. Cave swimming, snorkeling where you were in waist deep water and only had to bend down and put your face in the water about an inch and there was all this beautiful coral. (would love to go back there). Punta sur, salt water crocodiles, beautiful beaches.

Some of the things we have done on our own while in coz are chakanaab and swimming with dolphins, shopping, Playa Sol (2x's) and the famous Carlos and Charlies.

In Grand cayman, we rented a charter boat from either nativeway or captin marvins with a group of people who meet on cruise critic and charted the boat (we still travel with one of the couples after several years - its like we were best friends immediately). It is a really great way to go.

Of course, did Jamica and Dunn's river falls on our own and went to one of the most beautiful resterants (falls at the river or river at the falls, something like that.) I would definately go to this resterant again (found in on port of calls).

Playa Del Carmen just a taxi ride to different beaches, and 1 time our group rented a large van at tthe pier that brought us to a beach and the fee also encluded luncd. I would go there again!

Do your homework - it has always been cheaper for us to book on our own. Besides, doing the planning it part of the whole experience!

Song of Norway

Celebration

Inspiration

Holiday

Celebration

Conquest (this july)

We were in Costa Maya the first week of April. We booked a wonderful tour of the ruins through Chacchobenruins.com. (We used the first tour listed which is $43.00) Carnival charges $69 for a similar tour. I say similar because ours was exceptional. Our tour guide, Ivan Coalhu ?sp? was born and raised on the site of the ruins. His brother owns the farm right next to the shopping area at the ruins. Mexico appropriated his families home when the archaeologists began their dig. He speaks excellent English after attending Tulane Univ. He gave us a full view of the Mayan culture and their beliefs now and then. It was exceptional. Ivan does not require payment in advance. You pay after the tour is completed.

You contact him by email and he will confirm by email. His rates are less because he does operate his tour out of the main port plaza area. He meets you in Majahual.

Any questions? Have a great time.:)

Do Not rent from less pay in cozumel. Our 44 jeep ended up costing us $80. They said we didn't have enough gas in it so charged us $10, then I had to put on CC because I had just enough cash. and that was a huge percentage just to use it. I complained, but they had me over a barrell. I had to get back to the ship! So, I paid. They had assured me someone would be available to take me back, because I had to take the jeep back in town, but no one seemed to want to. Finally had to compensate one of the guys to take me back. I was worried that I would be late. Any way, I tried to negotiate with the owner when I got back to no avail. So, the only way I can feel justified is to let people know of my experience with this company. Good Luck!

Thank you for the info. Anyone else have experience with Less Pay? Would really like more than one opinion before I make my decision (always wanted to drive a VW Thing!)

charyoung: did you get anything in writing from Less Pay before you were in Cozumel? Or did you do everything after you got there? Also, did you fill the tank up (as you have to do in US) or did you simply put enough in so that it was at the same level that you got it from. What did the contract say about fuel levels, returns, additional transportation, etc? Just want to get the full story.

Archived