Is Carnival really a low income cruise line?

[quote name='Tapi']I do have to say that when we sailed on the Allure last year, our time ashore was minimal. We were more drawn to staying on the ship than going ashore. And I also have to say that our onboard account was MUCH higher than any other cruise we've ever taken (specialty restaurants, nursery for our son, purchases onboard, spa, etc), but we figured that before going on this cruise, and we gladly paid for it. It was a PHENOMENAL cruise![/QUOTE]

Haven't had the pleasure yet, but we would probably intend on exploring the ship while we were at sea. But I won't know until we try it.

[quote name='halos']I don't buy this at all....[/QUOTE]

Perhaps your mis-understanding me, RCI has definitely made the ship more appealing to children and adults alike. Therefore it is very very difficult to find itineraries to match that of Carnival. I'm sorry to say but RCI have 85% more days at sea then Carnival and that is for a reason. The business savvy should understand this more. It's all about money!! Carnival makes their cost cheaper and takes you to the same places that RCI takes you but as oppose to going to St Thomas, San Juan and St Marten only 3 ports on one sailing like RCI, but on the same Eastern Caribbean sailing with Carnival their taking you to St Thomas, San Juan, St Marten, St, Kitts, St, Lucia, Dominica and the Barbados I hope you see where I am going with this.......More bang for your buck off the boat as oppose to on.

[quote name='LittleMiss']Perhaps your mis-understanding me, RCI has definitely made the ship more appealing to children and adults alike. Therefore it is very very difficult to find itineraries to match that of Carnival. I'm sorry to say but RCI have 85% more days at sea then Carnival and that is for a reason. The business savvy should understand this more. It's all about money!! Carnival makes their cost cheaper and takes you to the same places that RCI takes you but as oppose to going to St Thomas, San Juan and St Marten only 3 ports on one sailing like RCI, but on the same Eastern Caribbean sailing with Carnival their taking you to St Thomas, San Juan, St Marten, St, Kitts, St, Lucia, Dominica and the Barbados I hope you see where I am going with this.......More bang for your buck off the boat as oppose to on.[/quote]

One could say that CCL saves a heck of a lot of money on fuel being 'parked'...:p
Is it possible to make up that fuel cost in on board spending??? Maybe it is, I honestly don't know.

I think that some people like a lot of sea days and RCI may appeal to that demographic for that reason.

[quote name='MrPete']Haven't had the pleasure yet, but we would probably intend on exploring the ship while we were at sea. But I won't know until we try it.[/QUOTE]

We explored quite a bit while the ship was at sea. The thing with a ship of the magnitude of the Allure is that a week was not enough to do everything that was appealing to us. We made a list of all the things that we were interested in seeing and doing, and we probably did about 50% of the things on that list. Literally, there was not enough time, and we were not going to turn our vacation into "The Amazing Race" just to squeeze everything in.

[quote name='tracyanns']Well they can associate CCL with missing teeth because less fortunate people don't have dental...but we can associate Celebrity and HAL with missing teeth because everyone forgot to pack their dentures...

Just saying that CCL isn't the only toothless line...:eek:[/QUOTE]

I probably add to the "bad teeth" image and its not because I couldn't afford dental.

When I was a teenager I went through a major bout of depression. Part of that depression included not brushing my teeth because I didn't feel like I deserved nice teeth. This spanned years. Now that's all behind me and my teeth are a work in progress, they're clean and brushed but still look icky because of the damage done that takes a lot of work with a dentist to fix and its not able to be done all at once.

So when you see someone with bad teeth please don't automatically assume they're trash. You've got no idea the story behind it!

I dated someone once with missing teeth, and it was because he was a professional bull rider. He made a ton of money doing it, too!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

[quote name='LittleMiss']Perhaps your mis-understanding me, RCI has definitely made the ship more appealing to children and adults alike. Therefore it is very very difficult to find itineraries to match that of Carnival. I'm sorry to say but RCI have 85% more days at sea then Carnival and that is for a reason. The business savvy should understand this more. It's all about money!! Carnival makes their cost cheaper and takes you to the same places that RCI takes you but as oppose to going to St Thomas, San Juan and St Marten only 3 ports on one sailing like RCI, but on the same Eastern Caribbean sailing with Carnival their taking you to St Thomas, San Juan, St Marten, St, Kitts, St, Lucia, Dominica and the Barbados I hope you see where I am going with this.......More bang for your buck off the boat as oppose to on.[/QUOTE]

um, I don't agree with your statement that RCI uses more at sea days. We are taking our first RCI in December and have 3 Port Days on a 6 nighter. Carnival Freedom from FLL does a 6 nighter as well. RCI also does a Coco Cay, St.Thomas and St.Maarten route. They also do a West route with 4 stops like Carnival....

According to the tax man, we are definately not low income. In fact we are too high to get any tax breaks! Putting two kids through university is a challenge to the pocket book. We can afford Carnival and are happy with their ships, itineraries and services. I don't believe in going into debt for a vacation. Cruise with your pocketbook not with someone else's idea of what you should spend.

[quote name='TriciaEMTB'][b]I probably add to the "bad teeth" image and its not because I couldn't afford dental.[/b][/quote]

Thats a tough subject. I had knocked my teeth out when I was younger from a bicycle wreck (as earlier stated) and had porcelin replacements. If you could afford it why not get it done? I would rather have nice teeth for life than go on a cruise a few times.

[quote name='TriciaEMTB']
So when you see someone with bad teeth please don't automatically assume they're trash. You've got no idea the story behind it!

I dated someone once with missing teeth, and it was because he was a professional bull rider. He made a ton of money doing it, too![/quote]

I respect people's reason for missing teeth 8 out of 10 times its because they dont have the means too replace them with. As someone with means and the ability to replace my teeth if I lost one I will do. If I need to chose a cruise over teeth, I would probly choose teeth cause people Judge way too much and missing teeth could and will cost someone a possible job. Thats why people missing teeth crusie Carnival because of less means.

[quote name='WalkThaFreekinPlank']Speaking of Entertainment, what does Carnival offer that most of you enjoy? I know Magic has a park, theatre, shows and such. Is all the entertainment included in boarding price?[/QUOTE]

Exclusive to Carnival is the Punchliners Comedy Club, with several shows almost every night. My husband doesn't really like the broadway style shows in the theatre and this was a hilarious alternative, we both loved it!

[quote name='cruisenanny']Exclusive to Carnival is the Punchliners Comedy Club, with several shows almost every night. My husband doesn't really like the broadway style shows in the theatre and this was a hilarious alternative, we both loved it![/quote]

Is that improv comedy or "Pick on people" comedy? Trust me, never sit up front at a comedy show if your not sure what they are about....

[quote name='halos']I don't buy this at all....[/quote]

The problem is, LittleMiss is only describing one class of ships, which is only 2 out of 22 ships. She should have said Oasis, not RCI. A sweeping generalization cannot be made of RCI based on 2 ships. Yes, Oasis Class cruises are totally about the ships. When you cruise them, like Tapi described, you cannot wait to get back on board. They are that great. However, RCI does have plenty of other ship classes doing plenty of other itineraries like Asia and Europe where the ports are #1.

[quote name='cruisenanny'][B][I][COLOR=red]Exclusive[/COLOR][/I][/B] to Carnival is the Punchliners Comedy Club, with several shows almost every night. My husband doesn't really like the broadway style shows in the theatre and this was a hilarious alternative, we both loved it![/quote]

Negative. RCI's Oasis Class and NCL Epic also has a Comedy Club.

[quote name='JPTexan82']I respect people's reason for missing teeth 8 out of 10 times its because they dont have the means too replace them with. As someone with means and the ability to replace my teeth if I lost one I will do. If I need to chose a cruise over teeth, I would probly choose teeth cause people Judge way too much and missing teeth could and will cost someone a possible job. Thats why people missing teeth crusie Carnival because of less means.[/quote]

I totally agree! I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is, and when I see someone with bad or missing teeth I automatically get the impression that they are in poverty or don't value themselves at all. And, if I'm being honest, I also assume they are uneducated. While I KNOW that this is a stereotype, it's one that hasn't ever been wrong in my experience. I look forward to the day when a bad/ missing teeth individual wows with their class and intelligence;) I'm just really into teeth:D I'm having some cosmetic work done tomorrow that I'm super excited about. Teeth make a big first impression, that's for sure.

[quote name='JPTexan82']I respect people's reason for missing teeth 8 out of 10 times its because they dont have the means too replace them with. As someone with means and the ability to replace my teeth if I lost one I will do. If I need to chose a cruise over teeth, I would probly choose teeth cause people Judge way too much and missing teeth could and will cost someone a possible job. Thats why people missing teeth crusie Carnival because of less means.[/quote]

100% correct. My brother-in-law worked for a finance company for 7 years and was let go about 14 months ago. Get this, 16 months ago he cracked is tooth eating at Burger King when he bit into a piece of chicken sandwich, month later that tooth fell out and a month after that, jobless.

Thats the same thing is borrowing money from somebody that has less money than you already have.

[quote name='WalkThaFreekinPlank']Is that improv comedy or "Pick on people" comedy? Trust me, never sit up front at a comedy show if your not sure what they are about....[/QUOTE]

It's stand up, which I guess usually includes some degree of audience "participation". Good point, most people know not to sit up front unless they are willing to chance being targeted by the comedian!!:eek::o

Negative. RCI's Oasis Class and NCL Epic also has a Comedy Club.

NCL has always had (on my sailings) a comedian, (or two or three, depending on the length of the sailing) also a ventriliquist...No, they don't have a 'comedy club' on their ships other than Epic, but to be honest that's fine with me. CCL's comedy clubs are a bit tiny and if you get there too late forget finding a seat.

I prefered when CCL had their comedy shows in the main theater.

I'm sure it was free. The way I understand it Carnival discontinued some of the activities due to lay off's and such.

BTW, I just heard about the Carnival stock plunge..... Can someone say LAYOFF

it was free.

always started out with can beer, and then they brought out the yard of ale. i don't think i drink that much beer in a year!

21819.jpg

Archived