Radiance Class Suites - Junior vs. Grand?

corstr

I'd love some advice on this....the Junior suites look great, with plenty of room and a nice chair/ottoman combo. The Grand suites look great too, but I'm wondering if they're worth the price jump (and you lose the comfy chair/ottoman for a couple of less comfortable-looking chairs). From what I can tell the bathrooms look similar in size and layout.

So, the only real advantage (aside from some square footage) is access to the Concierge Lounge as a Grand Suite owner. My booking agent says alcohol is free here, but I'd love to hear some unbiased accounts of the Concierge Lounge and whether it (and the Grand Suite itself) is worth the extra dough.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I haven't stayed in a GS, will do so on a short cruise this fall. The price difference was only $50 over the JS, so we thought we'd see what it's all about. I think the JS is great - you get suite priority boarding, at least we always have, you get 2 C&A credits and you have a nice big room. I think the GS has two sinks in the bathroom, but I don't think that's such a big perk myself - DH & I just take turns in the loo. I have only seen the C-Club from the outside, but unless you're needy, I don't see how it's worth the price difference. The Concierge will make you dinner and shore excursion reservations, but you can do those yourself quite easily - on Radiance, you can make the excursion reservations on your TV, so you don't even have to bother waiting in line at the desk. Now, booze & cappuccino are free, but if you can't drink the price difference, I wouldn't think the GS is worth the price difference. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply.

This all makes sense....unfortunately I couldn't get a Junior on the May 18th sailing of the Serenade from Honolulu to Vancouver....I guess I'll have to "suffer" with the extra square footage in the Grand..not that I'll notice since I'll be face down in bed after drinking up the difference!

I'd love some advice on this....the Junior suites look great, with plenty of room and a nice chair/ottoman combo. The Grand suites look great too, but I'm wondering if they're worth the price jump (and you lose the comfy chair/ottoman for a couple of less comfortable-looking chairs). From what I can tell the bathrooms look similar in size and layout.

So, the only real advantage (aside from some square footage) is access to the Concierge Lounge as a Grand Suite owner. My booking agent says alcohol is free here, but I'd love to hear some unbiased accounts of the Concierge Lounge and whether it (and the Grand Suite itself) is worth the extra dough.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If the price difference is worth it is a very personal question tha nobody can aswer for you and of course it depends on how much the difference is.

For the bathroom I have to say the bathroom of the GS is at least double size of the JS bathroom. It´s very nice with double sink, lot´s of storage (drawers and closets), huge mirrors and marble. The room itself is very comfortable and a lot bigger too of course.

I´m not a big drinker so I can´t drink up the extra cost in the Concierge. However the Concierge lounge is a nice perk and I liked it very much but to me it´s not the reason for booking a GS over a JS. It´s the cabin itself.

Another nice perk that comes with the GS is the delivery of some goodies every afternoon to your cabin (i.E. chocolate covered strawberries, cheese plate, shrimps, cookies, fruit, ......) Makes a great afternoon snack with some coffee or other drink from the concierge lounge.

You have to decide for yourself what is important to you and what is worth what amount of money. I would say book the room for the room itself not the perks that come with it, although they are nice they may not make up for the price difference (JMHO).

BTW if you use the links below to my website there are pics of both GS and JS of the Jewel of the Seas.

MADFORCRUISING...I definately agree with the bathroom comment. From all the pics I've seen, the GS bathrooms are quite a bit larger than JS bathrooms.

I've only got about a week until I find out first hand! ;-))

MTS

I was in a JS on the Jewel in Feb, with friends who stayed across the way in a GS. Their stateroom was quite a bit larger with a much more spacious seating area and balcony. The bathroom was a little larger than the one in our JS. Both have a nice size tub, but the GS also has double sinks, which is a nice plus.

On the downside, I found the layout of the GS a bit awkward. Although there are three closets, they are behind the dry bar. They were kind of far from the other storage space which is in the bedroom area. And the closets weren't small, but were nothing compared to the walk-in closet in the JS. It isn't so much that there isn't enough storage space, it's just that it's oddly configured.

Since we were sailing with a large group, it was nice to have access the large seating area in the GS. But I was pleased that we opted not to upgrade, as I thought the JS suited our needs a bit better. (I was traveling with my wedding gown, and the walk-in closet was a godsend!)

I have the GS in the corner AFT location, and It has a very different layout than the other GS that are located on the sides of the ship. From what I've seen it has the closet in the bedroom area, but it (closet) appears to be a bit smaller than those GS's on the side.

MTS

I appreciate all the feedback...

one last question: any issue with noise from above on Deck 11? I had a bad experience aboard the Vision of the Seas in the Owner's Suite, right below the Windjammer....terrible noise at 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. (from the plate trolley).

thanks!

I just came back from the Serenade in a GS(1034). It's a nice size suite with lots of room and no noise problems from above. Unfortunately, Maritza , who is probably the best concierge on RCI's fleet will leave for Vacation before you get there i believe. The concierge club is not just about free booze.There is continental breakfast every morning,misc snacks at night,24hr coffee\espresso,computers(still have to pay)to use,dvd movies for use in your suite,and a nice private lounge to share cruise experiences in. I've used the CC Club on at least 5 cruises. It is a great perk...and the GS will be aa great stateroom. I also stayed in an OS 4 weeks after Serenade was placed into service....revolving plasma tv,dining room,jacuzzi tub....a very nice stateroom too!!

That's funny, I think we have that exact cabin! Too bad about Maritza, she sounds great and I've read about her in other reviews. I'm surprised that internet access is charged for in the concierge lounge...isn't there an internet connection in the suite itself? Are there particular things that you had the concierge help you with?

thanks.

That's funny, I think we have that exact cabin! Too bad about Maritza, she sounds great and I've read about her in other reviews. I'm surprised that internet access is charged for in the concierge lounge...isn't there an internet connection in the suite itself? Are there particular things that you had the concierge help you with?

thanks.

There is no Internet access in the Suites unless you have your own laptop and sign up for Cyber Cabin and of course pay for it.

We were in JS 1100 on Radiance. There was very little noise from above. It's the outdoor seating for the Windjammer, and there are tables right against the rail, so I don't think they roll trolleys through there. Not that we noticed, anyway.

One caveat - when you stand at the railing of your balcony, the folks above will be able to see you from the waist up. Further back toward the cabin, it is completely private from above, but just be forewarned.

MTS,

are you staying in 1600 on the radiance? If so when are you sailing I would love to hear more about it as we have it booked in december.

Hi Printess,

Yes it's GS 1600 on Radiance (corner aft). I sail on May 1st, so I'll let you know what it was like after I return. Just being aft is enough to make me happy so I'm sure I'll be very pleased! ;-))

MTS

Archived