From the Enchantment - Feb 27 cruise

Cuizer2

I am assuming to OP doing this review thread, who has been wonderful about giving us awesome posts and amazing pictures meant that the shipds internet is dead in the water.

A statement that general is quite confusing as well as alarming. "Dead in the water" would seem, to me, a reference to "no power whatsoever". Rather scary to say the least. If he was referring to no internet then sorry we took it otherwise.:rolleyes: my bad!

You are right, he's posted wonderful pictures etc. so we are all hoping he didn't mean it the way we took it!:eek:

TO: CRUIZER2

Wondering if the there's been any announcement as to whether the propulsion engine has been completely repaired and is now capable of operating at 100% ??

At any rate the tour returned at lunch time, so I headed to the buffet. There I found two officers having lunch. So I asked about the engine. The ship uses several combustion engines to turn generators which powers the ship. Each screw (the propellers on a ship are called screws) is turned by one electric propulsion motor. One motor is working fine and the other motor is able to reach full RPM, but not full torque. Thus the engine cannot push the ship at full speed.

Has the engine been repaired yet – no. Is there an estimate on when it will be repaired – no. The parts they need has to be manufactured. Then they can finish the repairs. The two men I spoke to spoke with had a Norwegian accent, so I am sure they knew what they were taking about. Actually I believe I was talking to the Staff Captain and one of the other bridge officers, so I am very confident that this information is accurate.

DEAD IN THE WATER?? You are in port now, right? Are you telling us the ship has lost all power or just being funny with your "dead in the water" remark?

Does not sound like things are good or am I misreading your post? Please clarify. Thanks. :eek::eek:

I think the problem is there are about a dozen three inch lines keeping the ship at the dock. Once they undo those lines I think we will be okay. :)

Edited by Cuizer2

I am assuming to OP doing this review thread, who has been wonderful about giving us awesome posts and amazing pictures meant that the shipds internet is dead in the water.

No the Internet is fine - we are docked. Since the dock is not moving neither are we. Read the entire post and you will see that I said I was on land - meaning we are docked.

Edited by Cuizer2

A statement that general is quite confusing as well as alarming. "Dead in the water" would seem, to me, a reference to "no power whatsoever". Rather scary to say the least. If he was referring to no internet then sorry we took it otherwise.:rolleyes: my bad!

You are right, he's posted wonderful pictures etc. so we are all hoping he didn't mean it the way we took it!:eek:

Okay, next time I'll say we are not moving. :)

No the Internet is fine - we are docked. Since the dock is not moving neither are we. Read the entire post and you will see that I said I was on land - meaning we are docked.

Thank you for clearing that up and also for talking with the two officers about the engine/propulsion problem.

I was on this ship back in November and the Internet was slow as molasses and it kicked you right out of whatever you were doing at the time. They really, really need to replace/fix/all those computers

Hopefully that is one of the things they will do when she goes into Dry-Dock.

Enjoy yourself on this cruise. ;)

Okay, for all those that doubted me, here is proof that the ship is dead in the water ...

DSC_1781.jpg

If you look closely you can see why the ship is not moving ...

DSC_1785.jpg

Plus the three pictures I was not able to post earlier ...

The main show lounge ...

D4d.jpg

The MDR ...

D4e.jpg

The warning about the ship's Internet ...

D4f.jpg

The warning about the ship's Internet ...

D4f.jpg

Hi,

We were on Enchantment last week. The ship's terminals/PCs are in poor disprepair. They're running an ancient version of Windows XP on very old PCs with badly fragmented hard drives and random day/dates. I discovered having your own laptop running wirelessly to the ship's router, and using IE as your browser (only for initial connect/disconnect) was the most efficient way to go. Of course, "efficient" is relative. You'll still be running at dial-up speeds, but you won't be confusing your email recipients because your email posting day/time is an incorrect last-week's entry. Still, it's better than having nothing at all, especially when you're not ashore or within range of a domestic cell tower. Cheers!

...Karl

At any rate the tour returned at lunch time, so I headed to the buffet. There I found two officers having lunch. So I asked about the engine. The ship uses several combustion engines to turn generators which powers the ship. Each screw (the propellers on a ship are called screws) is turned by one electric propulsion motor. One motor is working fine and the other motor is able to reach full RPM, but not full torque. Thus the engine cannot push the ship at full speed.

Has the engine been repaired yet – no. Is there an estimate on when it will be repaired – no. The parts they need has to be manufactured. Then they can finish the repairs. The two men I spoke to spoke with had a Norwegian accent, so I am sure they knew what they were taking about. Actually I believe I was talking to the Staff Captain and one of the other bridge officers, so I am very confident that this information is accurate.

Thank you for taking the time to address my question.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Thank you for clearing that up and also for talking with the two officers about the engine/propulsion problem.

I was on this ship back in November and the Internet was slow as molasses and it kicked you right out of whatever you were doing at the time. They really, really need to replace/fix/all those computers

I had the same kind of internet service on the Grandeur. I suspect it's the same with all ships in this class and yes hopefully they will install a new satellite link system and do a general upgrade of the service. I DID NOT have service in my aft Jr. Suite. I had to carry my laptop to the area of the internet lounge to use it. I found the Card Room next door was a good place to go if it wasn't crowded (never was). I had much better luck on the recent Carnival Pride cruise but that's the only thing I liked better than my RCI cruises.

Sudsy:D

Hey, did anyone notice all the wild chickens on Tortola? It was like the squirrels around my area.

Thanks for the report and beautiful pictures Cuizer2. At least we are getting some info about the ship. I appreciate you taking the time to speak to someone about the problem. We will board the day you return. Really looking forward to it. I just hope they don't have to cancel any of our ports, but it doesn't look too good according to what you reported. I would much rather have the port of Key West instead of an OBC. :rolleyes:

Thanks again and happy sailing!

Gwen :)

I don't remember his name, but the Staff Captain is a younger-looking, somewhat short, and blond-haired guy.

Theron

Okay, I don't want anyone to get alarmed, but at the moment we are going backwards. Maybe they put the batteries in wrong? :)

Are you sure you're just not facing in the right direction? People have been known lose their sense of direction on cruise ships very easily. They also seem to forget how to work an elevator.:D

Edited by cruise pup

they dont need to fix or replace the computers..the biggest problem is the SATELLITE...it's a ship, sailing at sea..they are not equipped with 3G or 4G service nor do they have high speed internet

I call the ship regularly on my regular landline phone and often canNOT get thru...its all the same thing - the satellite

matter of fact..I'm fixin to call the ship right now! lets see how the connection is................

Edited by wrkfire911

We are sailing in March. Thanks so much for the daily postings, I'm loving the read. Please recommend your favorite entertainment - like if anything is a "don't miss this show." Also, any hints about the port calls are welcome too. We are a younger side family 40's (I guess I can still call us younger) with two teenage boys, so looking for what might interest them.

they dont need to fix or replace the computers..they are fine..the problem is the SATELLITE...it's a ship, sailing at sea..they are not equipped with 3G or 4G service nor do they have high speed internet

I call the ship regularly on my regular landline phone and often canNOT get thru...its all the same thing - the satellite

On the Pride they have cellular service with most major carriers. I have a smart phone (although it's a lot like a smart car, not really so smart!) and I have Verizon (hate em) service. I had service through my phone which I has a wifi hotspot. I called Verizon long before I went on the cruise and they (customer service)said something like "you have unlimited data service so it really doesn't matter how you use it. You should see no additional charges." I Just paid an extra $75 this month for that service. (I cut it off after 2 days at sea when I started getting messages that I had used $25, then $50.) BUT THE SERVICE WAS GOOD. I measured a square 1.5 Mbps (up & down) at one point. There's really a lot more to it but that's the jest!

Sudsy:)