Transportation from Nice airport to Port of Nice

tcvw

My wife, another couple and I will be going on a cruise from Nice to Rome in July. I am in need of transportation to the Port of Nice from the airport. Your thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

Last year we used A-T-S (airport transfer service), a U.K. based company affiliated with one of the budget airlines. (http://www.a-t-s.net/ ) For two or 4 passengers the one way cost, including a 3 Euro credit card fee, is 28 Euros to anywhere in Nice Centre, presumably including the port. We were met by a pleasant young man from the north of England, and it was great to hear a friendly English voice. He even gave us a tour on our way to our hotel. We were very satisfied. It's well worth the money, even though taxis or the bus would have been cheaper.

We found this service through either the CC Europe Port of Call board or the Nice forum of Virtual Tourist - at this point I don't remember which.

We are also going on a cruise in July on the Wind Star which leaves from Monte Carlo. We did our own air reservations and arranged our transfer from Nice to Monaco through Windstar. Your TA can make the call or you can. The company is World Wide Shore Services (800-355-3023), but I believe it is located at the same address as Windstar in Seattle. We've used them many times before without any complaints. In the past we've been met either in the baggage claim area, or right outside by a Windstar rep. Depending upon how people come in on the flight the mode of transportation ranged from a cab to a minibus. What we like about it is that the transfers are prepaid. FYI, the port in Nice is actually a large dock, which can only handle smaller ships. When we were there in addtion to the Wind Spirit there was a Seabourn ship and a Sea Dream ship.

Wolfpacker, how much do the Windstar transfers cost? I suspect they cost much more than a-t-s to Nice, which is also prepaid (28 Euros for the entire van). Monaco may be a different story: 88 Euros for the van, which is expensive for 2, cheap for four. Windstar might be cheaper for that, but it probably isn't cheaper for 4 people to Nice.

Yes, the port is pretty small; but so are the Windstar ships. The port is also within easy walking distance of Terra Amata (400,000 year old site of ancient people), old Nice, several museums, nice restaurants all around the harbor, etc.

:) Thanks to everyone who sent me these ideas. I've used this site often to read others questions and responses, but never have I posed a question before. Now another question - since many of you are so helpful. Ideas on transportation from the port in Civitavecchia to Rome?

Archived