Category 3 on Century

FlyingCloud

I just got a good fare for a Category 3 cabin on Century for the fall Transatlantic in October. 15 nights on the Mediterrean and the Atlantic! :D

These cabins seem to be considerably bigger than the standard outside cabin on the deck plans, but I haven't been able to find out any dimensions. Celebrity claims that they are the same size as the regular outsides at 175 square feet. Does anyone have any experience with these cabins and wish to comment. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Yes, the information on these specific 18 Cat 3 cabins in the back of the Century have been wrong in Celebrity's brochure since the Century came out in late 1995! Part of the reason was that before the Century got CC cabins, the Penthouse Deck outside cabins (which are standard sized) were also Cat 3's. So you had two different type cabins classified as Cat 3 with only one cabin description in the brochures.

Anyway we stayed in 8231 on our first Celebrity cruise. These cabins are like the FO cabins on the Galaxy and Mercury (which are accurately described in the Celebrity brochure and website). They are 20% bigger for a total size of 210 sq ft. They are furnished to sleep up to 5 people: a queen size bed and a separate sitting area that has 3 single beds (two single convertible couches and a bunk bed that folds out from the wall). Unlike the Galaxy/Mercury, the Century aft cabins have a private window as there is no public decking that runs behind it.

Anyway we liked it so much that we booked our next cruise in the same cabin (Cat FO) on the Mercury. Here some photos of the Mercury FO cabin that we stayed in which will give you an idea of what your cabin will be like: http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=388

Here are a couple of interior shots taken by a passenger of their Century Cat 3 cabin which also has its furniture arranged a little differently than the Mercury/Galaxy FO cabin (i.e. the desk is in the sitting area): http://community.webshots.com/album/281463268RUwqlF

The Century Cat 3 has a magnificent large window that comes with a deep bay as well. Finally, there is a nice sliding door that allows you to separate the sleeping area from the sitting area for additional privacy. I think you will be happy with your choice.

One other thing and it concerns noise:

You will experience loud vibrations and noise when the ship pulls in and out of port. They last for a few minutes and are strong. But other than that everything is OK--no noise and no vibration when the Century sails. We did not have a problem with this at all and thought that this drawback was a small price to pay for such a large cabin.

The Vista Deck Cat 3's are more preferable to the Panorama Deck Cat 3's because noise from the Crystal Lounge at night can be heard in the latter cabins. It did not bother us but I have read a post from someone who stayed in a Panorama Deck (Deck 8) Cat 3 and complained about the music that could be heard from the lounge below. If given a choice, I would book a Vista Deck (Deck 9) Cat 3 in the future.

Thanks for your quick response...I'm in your old cabin 8231. The noise won't bother me...I'm a heavy sleeper and besides, I like to be reminded I'm on a ship, not staying in a hotel! Sounds like I made the right choice...and the fare was so reasonable.

Hey, your welcome and I am sure that you'll enjoy the cabin!! One nice thing about 8231 is since it is on the extreme port side of the ship, you have convenient access to the public balcony that is part of the external stairwell adjacent to your cabin. That balcony area is decently sized and could easily accommodate a couple of chairs and it takes a few days for people to discover it so it tends not be visited much since it is off the beaten path.

Archived