Free cappucino?

sharks48

Oh, I was under the impression that HAL stopped serving caffeine at midday - don't all their guests have to be in bed by 7 pm?

That is definitely a very valid point.

No caffeinated drinks served after 3pm, and lights out at 7pm!

Agreed!

Then I would order it there just to see them laugh. :D

Orange juice is a breakfast beverage too. I wonder if one can also make Europeans laugh by drinking it at another time of day. ;)

The amused laughter is applicable only to the ordering of lattes and cappuccinos,

Which are a mixture of milk and coffee, after you have had a full dinner.

It is more indicated to have a long or short espresso after dinner.

I hope the Starbucks expert on this thread knows the difference.

Greetings Jordster

I gather during your illustrious career at Starbucks you invented the

"dry cappuccino", that goes down so well after a full meal.

Congratulations!

I notice you are from Toronto, which is a very vibrant and cosmopolitan city full of Europeans, and especially Italians, of which, I happen to be one, who know their "espresso"' very well, and certainly do not frequent Starbucks in search of good coffee. Everyone knows it is the worst.

P.S.

Did you also specialize in language and punctuation? Just curious.

Gosh, all of this venting over someone ordering a cappucino at dinner. Horror of horrors!! People can order it whenever they want...just ask someone who works at Starbucks. If it was only a morning drink I assume Starbucks would close at noon. I guess it is also a faux pas to go to an all night diner and order breakfast after the normal breakfast hour has past too?

Greetings Jordster

Congratulations!

I notice you are from Toronto, which is a very vibrant and cosmopolitan city full of Europeans, and especially Italians, of which, I happen to be one, who know their "espresso"' very well, and certainly do not frequent Starbucks in search of good coffee. Everyone knows it is the worst.

P.S.

Wow, maybe we should lighten up a little and lay off the caffeine for a while.

So, at the risk of igniting another flamefest, is the espresso served on Eclipse any good? We don't drink much alcohol, but my wife and I both have fairly discerning taste in coffee. A good espresso seems to be a quite rare thing...

The delicious irony of the coffee conversation is that Celebrity used to pour the absolute worse cup of coffee I have ever had the pleasure of not drinking.:eek: A shake of salt helped, believe it or not, remove some of the bitterness, but it was still pretty bad.

The Eclipse served some okay coffee when we were aboard last year, at least it was drinkable without the salt. And when we cruised on the Oosterdam a couple of years ago we got complementary lattes from the lounge that were pretty good. But decent coffee doesn't make a cruise, and one HAL cruise was all it took to convince us that it was not the right place for us.

So much more goes into deciding on a cruise line than a freebie here or there. The ambience, the design of the ship, the type of passengers and the destinations have a lot more to do with our decisions than do the ability to haul wine aboard a ship or have a free espresso. But different strokes for different folks and I am glad that those who need the freebies and the cartloads of wine have a cruise line they enjoy.

I am on Celebrity this Fall trip in Europe but last Fall I was on Princess for a Baltic cruise. They had a coffee card which cost around $32 for a 11 day cruise. Inaddition to unlimited brewed coffee which you got in the coffee shop, it gave you 15 specialty coffee drinks. After most dinners in the MDR my wife and I enjoyed a latte, cafe mocha or a expresso. Also you got a nice travel coffee mug that I still use when driving.

I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Oh dear....what have I been doing all these years.!!

As a European I have inadvertently been exposing my self to ridicule all over Europe...and even in some very fancy places. !! :o

I have to confess my sin..I have ordered cappuccinos any time , and any where, I fancied one ...and never, ever looked at my watch. !!:rolleyes::D

Oh dear....what have I been doing all these years.!!

As a European I have inadvertently been exposing my self to ridicule all over Europe...and even in some very fancy places. !! :o

I have to confess my sin..I have ordered cappuccinos any time , and any where, I fancied one ...and never, ever looked at my watch. !!:rolleyes::D

Shame on you.:( Misery loves company so I will fess up, so have I, didn't know it was controlled by the time of day.See you at the coffee shop.:cool:

Greetings Jordster

Congratulations!

P.S.

Thank you for your reply.

I did not "invent" the dry cappuccino. A standard cappuccino is about half rich, dense foam and half milk. If you want more milk (as in less foam), that is called a "wet" cappuccino, and if you want less milk and more foam, it is a "dry" cappuccino. That is not a Starbucks thing - any espresso bar will happily make you these drinks.

Interestingly, while cappuccino was originally a breakfast beverage, it is increasingly consumed throughout the day - yes, even in Europe!

And believe me, being Italian does not make you any more capable of judging coffee. Read my previous post about the quality of Starbucks beans, and do your own research, if you like. Most of Toronto's coffee shops serve average espresso, but all of my "fancy" friends swear by them. Do you even know how to properly do a coffee tasting? It's a lot like a wine tasting, but I'm guessing you have no idea...

The reason I took such offense to your post (and criticized your inability to punctuate a sentence) was because you came out aggressively and wrongfully made fun of people for liking cappuccino after dinner, as if that made them somehow uneducated compared to your godliness.

By the way, here is some reading for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappuccino

Good day.

Thank you for your reply.

I did not "invent" the dry cappuccino. A standard cappuccino is about half rich, dense foam and half milk. If you want more milk (as in less foam), that is called a "wet" cappuccino, and if you want less milk and more foam, it is a "dry" cappuccino. That is not a Starbucks thing - any espresso bar will happily make you these drinks.

Interestingly, while cappuccino was originally a breakfast beverage, it is increasingly consumed throughout the day - yes, even in Europe!

And believe me, being Italian does not make you any more capable of judging coffee. Read my previous post about the quality of Starbucks beans, and do your own research, if you like. Most of Toronto's coffee shops serve average espresso, but all of my "fancy" friends swear by them. Do you even know how to properly do a coffee tasting? It's a lot like a wine tasting, but I'm guessing you have no idea...

The reason I took such offense to your post (and criticized your inability to punctuate a sentence) was because you came out aggressively and wrongfully made fun of people for liking cappuccino after dinner, as if that made them somehow uneducated compared to your godliness.

By the way, here is some reading for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappuccino

Good day.

Well said. :)

And if anyone wants my opinion:

1. I agree that it is most fashionable to make fun of Starbuck's but even a coffee snob like me will go there occasionally because it's usually pretty good so long as you enjoy dark roasts. In fact, I'd say the average Starbuck's coffee or espresso is better than the average drink I've had in Italy or France!

2. While I had quite a few cappuccinos for breakfast while in Italy, I've also enjoyed the occasional dry cappuccino after dinner. I agree that this isn't something weird or stupid (no more so than my glass of orange juice in the afternoons :)).

Ciao Jordster

Congratulations again. You are the undisputed reigning coffee expert.

Next time you are lucky enough to go to Italy, drop by any coffee bar and see if they know what you are talking about when you ask for a "dry" cappuccino.

This is the last time I am replying to your extremely pompous and pretentious posts.

By the way, re your prowess in language and punctuation, may I suggest you review one of your previous posts for grammar:

"IT'S Farmers"

"IT'S Beans"

Have a lovely evening

Ciao Jordster

Congratulations again. You are the undisputed reigning coffee expert.

Next time you are lucky enough to go to Italy, drop by any coffee bar and see if they know what you are talking about when you ask for a "dry" cappuccino.

This is the last time I am replying to your extremely pompous and pretentious posts.

By the way, re your prowess in language and punctuation, may I suggest you review one of your previous posts for grammar:

"IT'S Farmers"

"IT'S Beans"

Have a lovely evening

OOPS. A long, touch-typed reply had two similar typos in an otherwise grammatically correct and properly punctuated forum post. Sadly, even the illustrious Jordster is not perfect. It's a stark contrast to your inability to put commas and periods where they belong, but it does show that even though I'm a former Starbucks employee and a godly coffee expert, I'm still human!

Back on topic (since we all know you can't help yourself, and you are no doubt reading this) - ITALY doesn't have a monopoly on quality coffee beverages. Do you also criticize American Pizza for not being "just like what Nana used to make"??

I don't even drink cappuccino - I strongly prefer straight espresso or drip coffee... But trust me, despite your Italian heritage, you are wrong here.

The Italian name for a dry cappuccino is a "cappuccino scuro" (I am not 100% sure but I think Scuro means "dark" because with less milk, the beverage is darker).

There is a special spot in my heart for people who post mistruths on Internet chat boards. I hope I have helped you get over your misconceptions.

Cheers!

FWIW-

Prepping for our first trip to Italy, I read that no one would DARE order cappucino after noon. First day -I didn't want to look like an American tourist (except for the white sneakers and polo shirt) so I didn't order one after a fabulous lunch. The waiter came to take our dessert order and asked if I wanted cappucino. Well if he was offering, I was ordering............and it was wonderful.

So while cappucino in the afternoon and evening may NOT be "European" it is a normal American custom.........and the lovely cafe made more $ selling it in the afternoon.

And it was free in the Carnival MDR in 2010 (and really good as I remember)

Archived