If you had a choice, would you do Eastern itinerary or Panama Canal itinerary?

If you are referring to the 10 day cruise that does a partial transit of the canal and stops in Aruba as well I would definitely do the canal trip. The Panama Canal is one of the engineering wonders of the world and well worth seeing, even if it is only a partial transit. I also think that Aruba is a better port than anything in the Eastern Caribbean. If that eastern cruise is 7 days you also get to cruise for 3 more days and that is certainly better.

Ditto to everything that SuperJerryW said. Love Aruba and think that everyone should do at least a partial transit of PC once. Combine the two and add the fact that the cruise is 3 days longer and you have a winning combination.

We just did the Eastern Caribbean this year and the Panama Canal the year before. My vote goes to the Panama Canal, it is so awesome! The extra money is well worth spending on the canal.

I am glad to hear that Aruba is so great. We have booked the Brilliance of the Seas with an aft cabin next January, doing a partial transit of the Panama Canal. I can't wait......as everyone on our Meet and Mingle thread says "How many more sleeps?"

We have done the Eastern a few times and we did the full transit Panama Canal for 12 nights last October and it was spectacular. You just have to try it once. It is an amazing wonder if I was in total awe of the whole experience. I still can't imagine how something like this was ever conceived by someone. I watched the ship in front of us move thru the canal and I can still ohhh and aww talking about it.

If you have the opportunity, please do take it you will not regret it. You can do the eastern any old time.

Hands down...PC!!! You will love having those extra days. Going thru the canal - we also did partial - will be beyond your expectations! A thrill.

Kids will never forget it.

The morning the ship arrives there is so much excitement on board.

Enjoy it!

Guest nhrich

Another vote for the Panama Canal, hands down. It really is amazing to see how they can raise and lower the ship so easily. Having done it once, I'd love to do it again.

If hubby won't take the extra time, I'll be happy to go in his place. :D

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

This is from one who hasn't done it yet, but I'd choose a Panama Canal cruise over Eastern Caribbean any day. It's an engineering marvel, one of the great man-made wonders of the world. It just seems like something everyone should do. I imagine it's an experience like no other. You'll have more exotic ports as well.

As an above poster said, you can do Eastern anytime. And, yes it's on my ever growing to-do list. :o

Whichever itinerary you choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Good cruising!

Done the Eastern Itin several times and we are going on the Brillance in November doing the partial transit with Aruba, I cannot wait! I am sure it will be one of the greatest cruises I have ever taken. Go for the 10 days if you can!

I'm doing a southern caribbean in a few weeks which is basically an eastern carib with another port. But I would druther do the PC even though I haven't sailed it yet. But I did a Yangzte River cruise in China about 6 years ago, and we also went through a lock system and it is an awesome experience. The ship goes into a lock and close the backside. Then they flood it with water until the ship rises to the top of the lock. Then they open the front and you sail out on higher water. It's pretty amazing...I keep looking at PC cruises; when I find a good buy, I'll do one.

I have done both the Eastern and the PC with Royal. Panama Canal wins hands down, especially if you go on the Brilliance. The canal is a unique experience and well worth the extra $. My DH got a big kick out of the canal.

We've done Eastern, Western, Southern and this year the PC. It was an 11-day and included Cozumel, Costa Maya, Puerto Limon Costa Rica, and Montego Bay (instead of Grand Cayman--bad weather). It was fabulous. We went through the Gatun Locks only, but it was enough for me. Maybe someday we'll do a full transit.

We liked Aruba last year on our Southern Carib. cruise. Anywhere you go will be great, but if you have a chance to do the PC--go for it. The longer cruise has really got me spoiled.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02

Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05

I think I have a plan brewing. Since we're already booked on Eastern next year, I can always look forward to planning our cruise for 2007 :D

Thanks so much for the replies. Someday, I'd like to do the Southern, but it's so expensive flying into San Juan.

Kim

I have done Eastern many times and Panama once. If you like shopping and beaches you should do Eastern. If you want to see nature and wild animals and have the weather real warm and muggy go to Costa Rica, if you want to see the wonders of the Panama Canal go to Panama. I liked Panama the best.

Archived