Hi, we are going on the Celebration later this month on the Red Sea cruise. We have never travelled Thompson before usually go on the bigger ships, will someone please give me some advice on what I can expect. I believe the ship is less formal than the bigger ones more smart/casual. Will there be a kettle in the cabin and are there any shops on board. How are tables in the dining room allocated. Is there anything in particular i should not miss likewise is there anything i should avoid. Not even sure of baggage allowance. Are the excursions good value. Sorry to appear so dim any advice appreciated. Thank you.

No kettles - big bugbear with me. tables are not allocated, you just turn up during dinner and you sit with anyone, bit like MTD on Royal Caribbean etc.

Some excursions are good value some are not, same as every other cruise.

Shops limited to a small corner shop type thing, selling suncream, sweets etc.

Baggage allowance up until 30.04.12 is 23Kg for hold plus 7Kg hand baggage.

There is a duty free shop selling drinks (good prices - better than the aircraft or airport) also a perfumes, jewellery, limited clothing and Thomson souvenirs plus a few toiletries, paperbacks etc.

I would recommend that you do the 'big hitters' in terms of excursons - it is the main draw on this itinerary as most of the ports aren't the kind to wander off independently. And for security reasons, I'd go with Thomson excursions (they travel in convoy). Also I'd go to see the shows - they may not be your cup of tea - but Thomson entertainment is considered to be excellent and it would be worth checking it out.

Thanks for replies. Have read mixed reviews on trips already seen Cairo museum, pyramids, sphinx etc, so may try Petra. Are you allowed to take a travel kettle. Is it a cashless payment method and are the drink prices reasonable .. Thank you.

Thanks for replies. Have read mixed reviews on trips already seen Cairo museum, pyramids, sphinx etc, so may try Petra. Are you allowed to take a travel kettle. Is it a cashless payment method and are the drink prices reasonable .. Thank you.

No, you can't take a travel kettle but you should be able to get a drink of tea or coffee at any time. Those insulated mugs are good to pack then you can take a drink back to your cabin.

It is a cashless system. You will get a card on arrival that you hand over to be scanned every time you make a purchase onboard, then it will be charged to your debit or credit card. You can put cash onto it if you prefer but you will still use the card. My OH loves the cashless system and find it a holiday in itself not having to find cash all the time.

Drink prices are very reasonable compared to other ships and probably the same as in pubs here, although I don't frequent pubs very often so not too sure.:):)

Jan

Jan has answered your quuestions - but I'd also add that I think you really should go to Petra as it's quite spectacular and although an expensive trip well worth it. We also did the half day trip to Wadi Rum which we thought was excellent too - quite unexpected and very interesting.

Although another 'big' trip, perhaps you would enjoy Luxor too. We didn't go as we'd planned to do a Nile trip - but we haven't done that yet and I really wish we'd gone whilst we'd been there.

This itinery is all about the destinations as the ports are pretty bad. You spend one and a half days at Aqaba and I went on the Wadi Rum excursion on the first afternoon. You travel on fairly ancient 3 wheel drive trucks for a ride across the desert. Think the film Lawrence of Arabia scenery and you get the idea. You need to be able to climb onto the back of the truck but there is a seat in by the driver. When i went a game old lady with 2 sticks insisted on going and sat in with the driver. Having practised her arabic she tried a conversation but no answer. Later the guide told her that the driver was deaf!.

On the second day it was Petra, The Dead Sea is a alternative. Petra is in the mountains and it can be cold and even snow some years. Be prepared for a uphill mile walk along gravelly stony ground back to the hotel for lunch. Petra is a must see though.

Then we have a selection of trips to Cairo. I saw the Pyramids, Sphinx, Cairo Museum and the papyrus shop :D

There are one day or overnight excursions to Luxor but i was ill so did not go. The overnight sounds more relaxed with a stay in a good hotel.

The excursions are long days with up to 12 hours away from the ship. You can of course just chill out aboard.

Wadi Rum is excellent. Don't miss out on Petra, even if you are worried about the walk you can pay to ride on horseback or in a donkey cart.

If you don't want to go to Cairo, there is a shuttle from Port Sokhna to a beach resort, although £30 each seems steep for that.

Luxor was well worthwhile although a long drive. If you go there make sure you have some Egyptian currency as it's the only money that's accepted for the extra tickets to Tutankhamun's tomb where you can see his mummy. Last year it cost 200 Egyptian pounds, about £20.

We have travelled with Princess previously and this year was out 1st time with Thomson on Celebration. Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, entertainment was excellent. As previously recomended by others excursion to Petra is well worth it. Also the Valley of the Kings and Temple of Karnak. One formal evening during the week cruise, otherwise smart casual is acceptable. All the staff are very friendly and wave you off when you go on excursions and are waiting on the dock side with a warm welcome when you return.

Archived