Concordia customers suing for all of this money, be happy your alive!!!

LittleMiss

Actually the contract provisions in tickets are almost always considered not enforceable in U.S. courts when the case involves gross criminal negligence by an employee of a company. This has been proven true in many previous court cases in the U.S. envolving cruise lines, amusement parks, youth sports clubs, etc.

Let's provide an example, if several people fall and hurt themselves on a cruise ship in stormy weather and no negligence is involved by the crew then the ticket contract is enforceable. In the case that a cruise ship sinks with many deaths due to criminal gross negligence by the captain and officers then the ticket contract will not be held enforceable in court generally.

I expect it is only a matter of time before the courts in Miami/Dade clear the path for Carnival Corp/Costa to be sued in the U.S. over the Concordia disaster.

Glad i am not alone in the world of rational thought

Again $15000 is enough to pay for therapy, where most of us would use insurance any way. You know what let me stop BSing here and go to the Concordia page and just post

My Therapeutic services and see how many will get up off of their $15000 to treat this PTSD they have including the ones who walked away.

Why should my insurance have to pay for treatment that was caused by negligence due to the cruise lines mistakes?

Fined by country registered in and money distributed towards belongings and perished loved ones easy

And to the survivors for pain and sufferring and for not having workable lifeboats and making families..the elderly..kids...injured..cling to rocks and be forced to swim to shore......oh at least it wasnt a long swim...and no one was indanger of heart attack or shock ffrom the une,pecpted frolic.in the sea.

Nobody "walked away". They were on a ship which was sinking. You make it sound like people simply walked down the gangway off the ship. They crawled and scrambled over the sides of a ship which was tipped over. And which, for all they knew, was about to go under. And which, if the weather had been different, would have sunk. For the sake of your argument you are trivializing the situation.

As I said in a previous post waldos, I get very well that the Concordia survivors were traumatized. Yes, many will need therapy as a result of that trauma. My point is simply that, as a survivor of PTSD from a trauma that was significant, I also realize that recovery is possible, won't cost a million dollars, and asking for same is simple greed when all they lost was personal belongings. I agree that therapy may run > 15K, but if those people are employed, insurance will cover some of it. If they aren't employed, 15K is going to get them a good way down the road to recovery. Again, I want to reiterate that in no way am I saying that the Concordia passengers are not traumatized and will need therapeutic help in the future. They just aren't going to need a million dollars worth. On that, I am fairly certain.

I'm sorry but all this talk about "there should have been a muster drill", "why wasn't there a muster drill". Ships could hold a muster drill, every day, on every cruise. Would it make a difference? Let's get real. If the horn blows, and passenger's Know it's the real deal, we're all going to calmly collect our life vests, and calmly line up at our life boat stations? Uh huh. Speaking of stations, while we are calmly all walking to them, we are looking at the numbers. Oh this isn't my number, I must calmly walk on to the right one now. Yep, and there's also ocean front property in Arizona. Let's not forget that bodies were found, wearing their lifejackets properly. Did it help them? Sadly NO. Lifejackets can help, you should have them, but they are Not a guaranteed savior. I'm not saying Muster Drills are senseless. Yes, every cruise should hold one, and they should now be taken a lot more seriously also. But Not having one, did not cause the deaths. An Incompetant Captain's handling of the situation, and holding off declaring an emergency until it was almost too late, caused them.

Unfortunately I don't believe this is Carnival's fault. Is it the fault of the Captain who decided to take their ship too close to shore to show off. Unfortunately he hasn't got enough money so they will go after the cruise line. Do I believe they deserve something? Absolutely! Do I believe they deserve millions -no. Our country is way too sue happy! This is why we are paying so much for insurance, etc.

Unfortunately I don't believe this is Carnival's fault. Is it the fault of the Captain who decided to take their ship too close to shore to show off. Unfortunately he hasn't got enough money so they will go after the cruise line. Do I believe they deserve something? Absolutely! Do I believe they deserve millions -no. Our country is way too sue happy! This is why we are paying so much for insurance, etc.

You just justified corporate negligence.....companies that cut corners and purposely do the wrong thing by their customers love your thinking

As I said in a previous post waldos, I get very well that the Concordia survivors were traumatized. Yes, many will need therapy as a result of that trauma. My point is simply that, as a survivor of PTSD from a trauma that was significant, I also realize that recovery is possible, won't cost a million dollars, and asking for same is simple greed when all they lost was personal belongings. I agree that therapy may run > 15K, but if those people are employed, insurance will cover some of it. If they aren't employed, 15K is going to get them a good way down the road to recovery. Again, I want to reiterate that in no way am I saying that the Concordia passengers are not traumatized and will need therapeutic help in the future. They just aren't going to need a million dollars worth. On that, I am fairly certain.

Yes- you have made the point that you were traumatized as a child. And for that you have my sympathy. But lawsuits are not just to cover therapy costs. If that were the case it would be easier just to set up a medical fund and let the treating clinicians bill the fund. Suits cover a lot of things. And yes, one thing they are intended to do is punish in cases where it is warranted. And in this case, it sound as if it is. There is blame to be placed here. It was not a simple accident, or even a complex accident. I also think that trying to claim that this was not a significant trauma just because it wasn't like your trauma is a mistake.

GOOD LUCK!!!! It's prime time, especially for college breaks.

As I said in a previous post waldos, I get very well that the Concordia survivors were traumatized. Yes, many will need therapy as a result of that trauma. My point is simply that, as a survivor of PTSD from a trauma that was significant, I also realize that recovery is possible, won't cost a million dollars, and asking for same is simple greed when all they lost was personal belongings. I agree that therapy may run > 15K, but if

those people are employed, insurance will cover some of it. If they aren't employed, 15K is going to get them a good way down the road to recovery. Again, I want to reiterate that in no way am I saying that the Concordia passengers are not traumatized and will need therapeutic help in the future. They just aren't going to need a million dollars worth. On that, I am fairly certain.

What about when the ptds victims lose there jobs...insurance..homes..cant pay the bills..will15 grand be enough?

Imho..as a non litigeous person,.my guess is 250 to 500 grand....that is realistic...of course send it to a jury and it will be triple damages

If every passenger sued (3000 or more) for one million and everyone won thier suit,,,would that not be the end of CCL? Get ready to $10000 fares on 4 night cruises.

So what if it is the end.....they were negligent

You had more credibility until you claimed that your therapy works every time. There is NO therapy that works every time. If there was we would not continue to have traumatized service men- we could just do your therapy and all fixed.

Ditto

The cruise lines are respnsuble for the action of its employees.

I get that but I personally believe $15k pp for people that had no injuries is sufficient. Again I'm not a "sue happy" person. I think it's ridiculous when people accidently fall in the store and sue. "Accidents" happen.

My profession is to work with my clients and see that their mentally and emotionally ok. Part of my therapy is putting action plans into place and it works every time. Also, why does my post or opinions have to be negative? What about the post that say the cruise line and the captain should pay pay pay.... Are they any less negative? I'm not saying they shouldn't pay I'm just saying when is enough enough that's all

What exactly is your therapy plan that works every time? You must be very well known and booked 24/7

I get that but I personally believe $15k pp for people that had no injuries is sufficient. Again I'm not a "sue happy" person. I think it's ridiculous when people accidently fall in the store and sue. "Accidents" happen.

Even when they slip on a wet floor that had no warning sign because the incompetent employee forgot to put it up? Please dont say they should have zeen the wet floor....floors can be very shiny and difficult to tell if they are wet.

I think they should have their medical expenses paid for and reimbursement for time off (if needed) but not much more. It is an accident.

I'm sure there are some lawyers on this post. IMO lawyers make a lot off of people who sue.

I think they should have their medical expenses paid for and reimbursement for time off (if needed) but not much more. It is an accident.

I'm sure there are some lawyers on this post. IMO lawyers make a lot off of people who sue.

If the rock had been in the middle of the ocean....in the path that the ship was supposed to be on....it would have been an accident...maybe.

But the point is- it was not an accident. It was something that happened that could very easily have been averted if the ship were not in dangerous waters. The captain knew he was skirting on the edge of danger, and it remains to be seen if the cruise line knew that this had happened at least several times in the past. According to a lot that has been written, they did. If they are found to have ignored these excursions off course, they are also negligent. There just is a huge difference between a real accident and a neligent event.

So they should not be paid for all the stuff that they had in their cabin which they will never see again.... jewelry, electronics, clothes, etc. ???

Keep in mind that the $14K is to cover the stuff in their cabin, not really for their time off, pain & suffering, therapy, etc.

Now if they were offerred back full value for the items they lost on the ship plus $14K then I could see a lot more passengers taking the settlement.

This was no accident. This was gross negligence.

Archived