Room service

scumbers

Hi all

we have a balcony room for our cruise and was wondering if we ordered room service e.g for breakfast is this free or is there a charge

thanks

Hi Scumbers,

Room Service on Celebrity is FREE for everyone. And it runs 24/7.

During prime dining hours (when the MDR is open) you can even order from that Menu... just ask your Cabin Steward for a copy.

Most folks tip whoever brings the food to your cabin however... for Breakfast $ 3 to $ 5 seems to be the aprox norm for that service (you will be amazed, the trays are big and heavy... so besides the convenience of not having to get dressed, we did appreciate the extra effort that was made by Celebrity's staff to do this for us)

Sometimes the delivery will be made by your Cabin Steward, at other times it may be done by someone else.

Breakfast on the Balcony is wonderful... can highly recommend. Mr Sloop and I did it several times.

They will call you when your order is ready, and leaving the Kitchen area... so you get a heads-up, much appreciated in the morning... a sort of wake up call if you will. Generally speaking the food arrived say 5 minutes or so after the phone call.

When you pre-order (via the door hang tags or via the inroom interactive tvs) and select a delivery time, you'll find that more often than not they'll aim for the front end of the slot (ie. 7:30 to 8:00 AM... more than likely you'll see your deliver closer to 7:30 than 8:00)

NOTE that some items are chargeable when it comes to Room Service. ALL ALCOHOL (even if you are on a Beverage Program)... and any items that normally have a charge (so Pop for example). However if you are Concierge Class or above, there are some items that are on the Menu that normally would have a charge that don't with these Classes more extended Menus (ie Fresh Squeezed OJ etc). When it came to Breakfast (the only meal we had via Room Service) we found that the info was clearly laid out on the menus... anything that is chargeable shows the fee beside the item.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Room service is free but a gratuity is generally given. Anywhere from two to five dollars is the usual tip for room service delivery. I general the more ordered the bigger the tip.

Room service is free but a gratuity is generally given. Anywhere from two to five dollars is the usual tip for room service delivery. I general the more ordered the bigger the tip.

This is untrue that a tip is generally given...tips are charged to your shipboard account and if you choose to give extra you can, but I do not believe this the general rule...

This is untrue that a tip is generally given...tips are charged to your shipboard account and if you choose to give extra you can, but I do not believe this the general rule...
We could set up a poll to find out, but I'd wager you would find that the majority of forum members feel better giving the room service person a tip. They very likely don't share in the tip that is collected for distribution on our shipboard account. Sometimes they do deliver so quickly it's hard to catch them to give them the tip, but they always return a genuine smile for it.

Thanks the the info and question I was wondering too. This is our first cruise and we saw they have the recommended tipping schedule / per day for all the staff and say you can add it to your account and pay at the end of the trip. Is this the preferred method or do you have to bring a roll of bill and start peeling them off when you arrive?

We could set up a poll to find out, but I'd wager you would find that the majority of forum members feel better giving the room service person a tip. They very likely don't share in the tip that is collected for distribution on our shipboard account. Sometimes they do deliver so quickly it's hard to catch them to give them the tip, but they always return a genuine smile for it.

I think it is great, but is is definitely not required...for first time cruisers, it can get overwhelming trying to tip everyone when it is certainly nice but not expected or required...tips are added to your shipboard account (usually $12 per day per person) the rest is at your own discretion...if you do not tip room service, they will not think you cheap or nasty...and remember that at all bars...even for soda, 15% additional is added on...

I think it is great, but is is definitely not required...for first time cruisers, it can get overwhelming trying to tip everyone when it is certainly nice but not expected or required...tips are added to your shipboard account (usually $12 per day per person) the rest is at your own discretion...if you do not tip room service, they will not think you cheap or nasty...and remember that at all bars...even for soda, 15% additional is added on...

Do believe Room Service should receive a small tip, in the $3 to $5 range and as all but one here have said: it is the norm.

Probably the only area / service on the ship where a tip should be added through out the course of your Cruise.

Many also tip others at the end of the Cruise who have given Superior Service throughout the Cruise. This would be your Cabin steward, Waiter, etc if they have done a great job - any extra above the standard Tip, they get to keep and does not go into the "pool". I have also given small extras to others on board who we have had repeated good service and conversation from. This extra tip is by no means expected or required though, unlike Room Service.

Thanks the the info and question I was wondering too. This is our first cruise and we saw they have the recommended tipping schedule / per day for all the staff and say you can add it to your account and pay at the end of the trip. Is this the preferred method or do you have to bring a roll of bill and start peeling them off when you arrive?
For most it's the automatic method. If you don't want your tips paid on your account according to the published schedule, you have to go to the pursers office and ask them to let you change your account settings. Some people want to turn that off and then go around and find who they want to tip and hand it to them.

We usually let the automatic payment go ahead and in addition give our room steward a bit extra when we see him on the last day. I just love to see the look of happiness on his or her face. They usually work very hard to please us and I know they are not paid a very high scale. The only reason they are there is to make some money- often not for themselves, but to send back home.

Fir our mrning juice and coffee we usually tip $2; on one cruise, the girl bustled in and out so fast it was hard to catch her! On the last day we gave her $20. We certainly tip extra to our steward or waiter if they give us extra-special service, over and above the 'norm'. But that has to be special, not just the standard good care.

I don't believe I've even spoken to anyone that didn't tip a few bucks for someone schlepping a bunch of heavy trays to your own personal cabin!

I can't even imagine opening up my door to someone delivering food to us and not showing my appreciation by a few lousy dollars.

I don't believe there are folks that don't tip for this service. Even those from other countries where tipping is not the norm tip for room service!

For most it's the automatic method. If you don't want your tips paid on your account according to the published schedule, you have to go to the pursers office and ask them to let you change your account settings. Some people want to turn that off and then go around and find who they want to tip and hand it to them.

And not to start another tipping thread (opps, too late)

but as has been discussed on numerous threads, when you do this, the staff is required to turn in their tips to the central tip-pool anyway, so people doing this go to a lot of work, and really gained nothing for the people they were trying to treat special.

Your way of just giving a little extra to those who go above and beyond solves this issue:D

Hi all

we have a balcony room for our cruise and was wondering if we ordered room service e.g for breakfast is this free or is there a charge

thanks

To answer your question, room service for breakfast is free of charge. Tipping is not required, and is at your discretion.

Having said that, I think they keep a secret list of those who tip, because when I call for room service I seem to get very prompt service. :)

the staff is required to turn in their tips to the central tip-pool anyway, so people doing this go to a lot of work, and really gained nothing for the people they were trying to treat special.

Where did you hear this? I think they keep their own tips.

If we are cruising in the Carribbean we usually take 50 or 100 ones for tipping room service and the shopping on the Islands. The only person we tip during the week is room service. The others get tipped at the end of the cruise if they have done a super job. We always leave our automatic tips on. We consider them a minimum. Someone told me that the daily amt for room service included in your automatic tips is around 11 cents. They were breaking out all of the amounts for me.

My wager would be that most people tip room service whether it be $1. or $5. or amounts in between. And yes they do know who tips.

I'll add a couple tips: There will be a room service hang tag menu in your cabin. If you circle or write in a time for delivery they are very prompt and will call a couple minutes before delivery. What a great wake up call!

But if you wait until the morning to phone in an order during prime breakfast time it usually takes 30 to 45 minutes to get your order. Just coffee is much faster. Because of this we usually only order room service breakfast when we're on a schedule (usually for an early excursions) and head to the buffet or dining room when we're sleeping in.

Also, depending what cabin category you're in the room service hang tag menu may be very brief. But you can write in almost any "standard" breakfast item including hot items, eggs different ways, common omelet fillings other than what is listed, breakfast meats, common cereals, bagels, etc. If you want something a bit more unusual or exotic then call room service and check if it would be available before writing it in on the card.

Where did you hear this? I think they keep their own tips.

You are correct, at least with regard to the tips given by passengers who do not delete the auto tips. I am not certain as to what happens to the tips given by those who delete the auto tips, but I would guess that this is probably academic since those types probably, in most cases, would not tip for the additional services.

Very few people stiff the room service delivery people. It is definitely true that most people tip them. Why would someone not tip them? Little to no money from the daily service charge goes to the room service delivery staff; it mainly goes to housekeeping and dining room staff.

I know you have gotten your answer about the cost and scope of room service. I would like to add a personal note.

Our favorite perk of cruising is sitting on the balcony of our cabin as we

approach a Caribbean port, hearing a knock on the door, and being pampered

with somehing we can't get at home.........a hot, on time, tray with all of

personal selections from the breakfast menu. You can order any, and everything you want, and don't be shy...splurge and have a bagel, a muffin and toast to go with your "made to order" omelet. You can leisurely enjoy

your breakfast as you watch the first passengers leave the ship, then go

ashore without fighting the inevitable line that accompanies the announcement that passengers are "free to go ashore." As for tipping, we usually give the room steward (who is usually the one delivering the tray)

$2-$3.

Are you talking about $12.00 day your have to pay for tips or extra and on?

Also, depending what cabin category you're in the room service hang tag menu may be very brief. But you can write in almost any "standard" breakfast item including hot items, eggs different ways, common omelet fillings other than what is listed, breakfast meats, common cereals, bagels, etc. If you want something a bit more unusual or exotic then call room service and check if it would be available before writing it in on the card.

On one cruise, I remember writing in 'bran muffin' every single night--and I always got one!

As Solstice will be cruising based in Australia and NZ starting late this year I am confused with the tipping as I understand the ship alights to the customary of countries it is based including food choices. There isn't a tipping culture here not even in 5 star hotels so I'm not sure tipping is expected other than the fixed grautities. I don't think cruisers on RCI Radiance of the sea practice tipping as it is based in Australia but I could be wrong. I better find out if I should tip or not to tip before going onboard the Solstice early next year.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived