Attn All who were aboard the Norwegian Dawn

As one of the unlucky passenger aboard the M/S Norwegian Dawn on April 16th I thought I would share this article with all of you. I was recently searching AOL and found this article amoung the thousands out there and was appalled. You will have to check it out. http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=2256&dept_id=550689&newsid=14374162&PAG=461&rfi=9 I do not know if everyone will have the same feelings as I do but I find it to be unreasonable of him to be downsizing the severity of that "freak wave". Does anyone realize it was not one freak wave? I understand that it is a weak comparison the Titanic and the Norwegian Dawn. Titanic was simply unprepared and unorganized. If they were prepared everyone aboard the Titanic (1,500) would have survived. However had one wave hit our ship and knocked us out of place or had we started taking on dangerous amounts of water, no one aboard that ship would have survived. How could any life vest or life boat save you in 40 - 70 some foot waves? It would be impossible... Not to mention a much greater loss. Please pass it on to people that you know were aboard that ship.

This is not a good website for you....this group either works for NCL or are die hard fans, but they have no kind words for unhappy passangers. I posted about being more unhappy with how unproffesionally the itinerary change was and that thread is gone. Although I do not plan on taking part, I do believe there will be a class action suit.

Guest OBAYbee
As one of the unlucky passenger aboard the M/S Norwegian Dawn on April 16th I thought I would share this article with all of you. I was recently searching AOL and found this article amoung the thousands out there and was appalled. You will have to check it out. http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=2256&dept_id=550689&newsid=14374162&PAG=461&rfi=9 I do not know if everyone will have the same feelings as I do but I find it to be unreasonable of him to be downsizing the severity of that "freak wave". Does anyone realize it was not one freak wave? I understand that it is a weak comparison the Titanic and the Norwegian Dawn. Titanic was simply unprepared and unorganized. If they were prepared everyone aboard the Titanic (1,500) would have survived. However had one wave hit our ship and knocked us out of place or had we started taking on dangerous amounts of water, no one aboard that ship would have survived. How could any life vest or life boat save you in 40 - 70 some foot waves? It would be impossible... Not to mention a much greater loss. Please pass it on to people that you know were aboard that ship.

Thank you for the link and for sharing your view with those of us here interested in what happened on board Dawn. I think recent incidents involving cruise ships have us all a bit uneasy/concerned maybe even short tempered. It’s hard to understand what you went through. There have been so many different accounts of the same incident on these very boards. Now we are all confused on who and whom not to believe. You won’t find me calling anyone a troll on these boards. I hope you don’t let that keep you from returning here.

I found the article interesting. Especially the part they left out.

First some facts: Orient Line was taken over by Norwegian Cruise Line."

Second: "Michael Coleman joins Orient Lines as public relations manager.

In the article they mentioned he was a PR guy for large cruise lines but they conveniently forgot to acknowledge his job was with NCL.

And since we are getting skeptical, I found his “Hotmail” email address given as the one to reply to very suspect. ;)

Thank you for posting the article. I hope your next cruise is soon and a lot more fun. ;)

Class action suit? You have got to be kidding.

I'm sure it was very scary, I'm sure I would have been just as scared.

Your at sea, you knew when you booked this trip that the ship was not staying in the dock. Storms happen, in no way did this storm/wave ruin your cruise. This was you last day, you were docking in less than 24 hours.

I think NCL gave you plenty (50% off this trip, 50% off your next cruise and $100 ship board crd. What more do you want.

QM2 was stuck in a storm for days with waves just as high. Did they get half off their cruise, or half off next cruise, did those people sue. NO

I have not been on a ship that was hit with a wave, but I have been caught in a storm and was on a ship that had a fire. Was I scared both time, you bet I was but does that mean I should sue.

Up till then you had a great vacation that was now less than 24 hours away from ending.

Everybody is looking for something. How sad that these people think they should sue for millions because their was a storm.

This is not a good website for you....this group either works for NCL or are die hard fans, but they have no kind words for unhappy passangers. I posted about being more unhappy with how unproffesionally the itinerary change was and that thread is gone. Although I do not plan on taking part, I do believe there will be a class action suit.

I'm confused. When you speak of "this group" are you refering to everyone who posts here or are you refering to the article?

I'm confused. When you speak of "this group" are you refering to everyone who posts here or are you refering to the article?

I am refering to the narrow minded people who thinks that everyone has to feel the same way as themselves. I find it sad that when a person makes refrences to their own fear and thoughts they are jumped on and insulted.

Rock the boat, I said that it wasn't something I would take part in, But I have heard from aqaintences who are in the legal field that they wouldn't be surprised. I have never in my life sued anyone and do not plan on it now, but I would like to see NCL appologize for the unproffesional way they itinerary change and the 3 hour long lines were handled. Unless you were standing in these lines or Snapped at by the reception desk for asking about the change I really feel like you (anyone) she reserve judgement.

This was you last day, you were docking in less than 24 hours.

The storm started on Friday morning beginnning with 3 water spout tornadoes that I personally saw aprox 6:30 in the morning. This storm lasted almost 30 hours in which time the ship was continuosly pounded and the rogue wave didn't hit us until 6:30 Saturday morning (the next day and still 24 more hours to go). I have posted many times on these boards that I enjoyed the majority of my trip but there were alot of pax who were truly traumatized, and I know because during those last couple of days, I talked to alot of people.

Time to change the subject.

Thank you for the link and for sharing your view with those of us here interested in what happened on board Dawn. I think recent incidents involving cruise ships have us all a bit uneasy/concerned maybe even short tempered. It’s hard to understand what you went through. There have been so many different accounts of the same incident on these very boards. Now we are all confused on who and whom not to believe. You won’t find me calling anyone a troll on these boards. I hope you don’t let that keep you from returning here.

I found the article interesting. Especially the part they left out.

First some facts: Orient Line was taken over by Norwegian Cruise Line."

Second: "Michael Coleman joins Orient Lines as public relations manager.

In the article they mentioned he was a PR guy for large cruise lines but they conveniently forgot to acknowledge his job was with NCL.

And since we are getting skeptical, I found his “Hotmail” email address given as the one to reply to very suspect. ;)

Thank you for posting the article. I hope your next cruise is soon and a lot more fun. ;)

Your fact is wrong........NCL was taken over by Orient Lines.

What is wrong with NCL using their PR Dept. doing some damage control:confused:

If you are going to be suspect, be suspect on both sides.

I have never been on an NCL cruise, but I have been on these boards lately because I have one booked for the fall.

I can't particularly say I'm a fan of the line, but I am a fan of cruising. I realize when I cruise, stuff can happen because I'm on a ship. In fact, right before my first cruise, my husband and I made our very first will.

Nobody makes money in class action lawsuits except for the lawyers. So, I wouldn't get involved in them if I were you.

We were involved in a class action suit once with our very large mortgage company. The actual settlement was over 300 million dollars, we received a check for 12 cents. I never cashed it because I wanted to mess up their accounting.

People are sue crazy.

Your fact is wrong........NCL was taken over by Orient Lines.

What is wrong with NCL using their PR Dept. doing some damage control:confused:

If you are going to be suspect, be suspect on both sides.

From NCL's website news section. NCL took over Orient not the other way around. Star took over both NCL and Orient as the parent company. The person that you quoted was correct in their statement.

Acquisitions And Strategic Alliances

In July, 1998, NCL acquired Orient Lines, a premium cruise line offering cruises to exotic destinations. The acquisition of Orient Lines added 850 berths. The 1,025-berth Norwegian Crown will be transferred from Norwegian Cruise Line to this exclusive brand in 2000 to take advantage of its suitability for longer, more exotic itineraries and higher pricing in this market. NCL has also entered into a joint venture, Norwegian Capricorn Line, in Australia which began cruise service in December of 1998 and has entered into a joint venture to explore the Spanish cruise market.

I am refering to the narrow minded people who thinks that everyone has to feel the same way as themselves. I find it sad that when a person makes refrences to their own fear and thoughts they are jumped on and insulted.

Rock the boat, I said that it wasn't something I would take part in, But I have heard from aqaintences who are in the legal field that they wouldn't be surprised. I have never in my life sued anyone and do not plan on it now, but I would like to see NCL appologize for the unproffesional way they itinerary change and the 3 hour long lines were handled. Unless you were standing in these lines or Snapped at by the reception desk for asking about the change I really feel like you (anyone) she reserve judgement.

Funny, I thought that for the most part, you and others on this sailing received kind and considerate attention--no need to paint everyone here with a broad brush. As for recompense, you got a cruise, you got a credit, you also got a discount on the next cruise. What else would you like? I'm not sure I understand.

As for the itenerary change, not only was this announced before the cruise, if you check your cruise docs--and the ticket that you signed, which was a contract--you'll see that all sailings are subject to itinerary changes.

Bottom line is that you got home safe and sound, you recieved some compensation for your troubles...and you have the right to never sail NCL again, if you like.

Andipand1....I agree. And if you were in one of the cabins that were affected by water, you received a 100% refund, as I read in the paper this morning. So nice cruise, except for some rough weather, it is the Atlantic Ocean after all. That storm was swirling around there for days. Looka at all of the damage it did to the Outer Banks with beach arosion. But, free drinks, refunds and vouchers. Extra special service from the crew. Nice......

The ship was safe, the passengers were safe, and everyone got home safe,

Of course we don't know about the people who flew home, did they hit turbulence, bad weather. was their flight delayed? Or cancelled?

Or the people that drove home. Did they have car trouble, an accident, maybe they ran out of gas? We didn't hear about that.

So let's start talking about something else!!!

Let it rest. people made it home safe. There is a signed contract of possiblity of itnerary changes. I'm sure there will be people that will never cruise because storms (QE2, QM2 transatlanics), mechanical issues(Millineum/azipods), running into things (Granduer of the Seas/pier, Regal Princess, Monach of the Seas/running aground), fire (Ectasy, Nieuw Amsterdam), rouge waves (Norwegian Dawn, M/V Explorer), or some illness "outbreak" (Pick a cruise line-it doesn't matter.).

I for one will be looking forward in trying out NCL in the future....

I would like to see NCL appologize for the unproffesional way they itinerary change and the 3 hour long lines were handled. .

I think you have just summed up what is behind your complaints and it has nothing to do with waves and rough seas. BTW ALL cruiselines sometimes change intineraries and ALL cruiselines sometimes have long lines and many cruiseships experience rough seas. (I have yet to hear of anyone successfully suing a cruiseline for "rough seas" or "long lines" or itinerary changes).

Personally I sympathsize with the Dawn passengers who experienced the rogue wave and rough seas just because it was a very unpleasant and frightening experience but NCL is not in control of the weather. And they did compensate passengers VERY generously (something they were in no way obligated to do).

aw' date=' njcruiser21, hope you had a chance to read the article before giving it the big zap!;) Hope you have a great cruise next month!:D[/quote']

I appreciate you taking the time to post that article. Always goes to show that there are two sides to every story. I feel for the ones that were on that ship and had to go through it but I also feel that NCL went above and beyond with the compensation given to the passengers. What they offered is better than what most cruise lines have in the past. This was an act of god not a mechanical failure or something that the cruise line did with intent. Some are saying that NCL could have avoided this but how do they know? A cruise line is not going to put passengers, crew and 350 million dollar vessel in danger over a TV show.

I think that the ones that cannot get over this and want to sue are the ones that are "sue" happy anyway. I say let them join in on a class action lawsuit. They will not win. Just make a few lawyers that much more wealthy.

Good to read an objective, non-hysterical reporter who was a passenger on that cruise. I suspect the people who will be most upset are the executives of the other cruise lines who will be obligated to match NCL's generous offers when they have a similar incident. You can't please everybody and getting what amounts to a free cruise is still not enough for some.

Archived