Today on NBC w/ Matt Lauer& Katie Couric

Bedbugs!

I heard the previews of this, but had to drive my son to school in the meantime... Don't know if I missed it.

I'm assuming it was cruise ship related after all the discussion about it recently. They did show a picture of all these little black bugs... I read on cc that you couldn't see these bugs?It's now 8am so I have channel 4 on waiting to see if they talk about it...

Did anyone see it, Did I miss it yet ?

Either way it does NOT deter me from cruising...

I'll just be pulling down the sheets to check before I lay down.

omg-that is horrible, I have been on many cruises but have never encountered the bedbug problem. It is good information to know about storing your luggage though. Thanks for the tip!

I happened to catch the segment, and was expecting to hear mention of the cruise ship problem, but they didn't bring that up at all. They were talking more generally of hotel rooms, although the info is applicable to cruises as well.

What I found interesting is that the little buggers are easily transferable, either coming from home or bringing them back home from hotels, and one of the culprits is the personal pillows people bring from home! :eek: I ALWAYS carry my own pillow, so I'm a little skeeved now that I may have 'hitchhikers'!

One solution is to use an impenetrable cover for your pillow and mattress, so they can't burrow in...

For the fun of it I went online to read more about bedbugs.... YUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

THey say they thrive in dark places, under beds, under cushions of sofa's , in between loose wallpaper etc...

I'm leaving my luggage on the balcony!

Just something else to make the news right...

well one of the "fixes" acording to the Today show was to have an "impentrable" (although that's not the word that doctor used or he said it pretty funny... anyways... ) mattress cover. That is something the cruise ships could do... Its more like the waterproof type of mattress covers... which could be good for all sorts of reasons... people travel with little kids who wet the bed and all kinds of things that I'm sure if I were to go into detail my post would get yanked, but you get the idea!:D

You would think it would be that much more "clean"... personally I wouldn't want to be housekeeping who finds those! :eek: The guy on the show they can live up a year if they get their "blood meals"! I think that phrase sends shivers down everyone's spines... ugh!

HI- I can only imagine what people will say now when they read your comment on kids wetting the beds LOL.......... You may have just started another thread.... This is getting funny.

All kidding aside, the bugs do gross me out but as said eariler , won't interfere with any of my plans.

well one of the "fixes" acording to the Today show was to have an "impentrable" (although that's not the word that doctor used or he said it pretty funny... anyways... ) mattress cover. That is something the cruise ships could do... Its more like the waterproof type of mattress covers... which could be good for all sorts of reasons... people travel with little kids who wet the bed and all kinds of things that I'm sure if I were to go into detail my post would get yanked, but you get the idea!:D

You would think it would be that much more "clean"... personally I wouldn't want to be housekeeping who finds those! :eek: The guy on the show they can live up a year if they get their "blood meals"! I think that phrase sends shivers down everyone's spines... ugh!

There was an article on our local news near Boston last night about a couple finding bedbugs in their bed last month on a Carnival ship. They were severly bitten by the parasites. Carnival compensated them with a discount for their next cruise but the wife refused outright to ever cruise again.

Just the thought of "Bed Bugs" grosses me out. I always check the bedding on the beds when We are away. So far no bugs, Thank God! I will still cruise but will be extra vigilant. Another Cruise Critic Member "CCLETZGO-from Utah" suggested bringing giant garbage plastic bags to cover your suitcases when you place them under the bed in your cabin. I think that is a good idea and I plan to pack several for my next cruise this fall. Ike

You know, it just amazes me that people are so freaked out about Bed Bugs, but Mosquitoes are far more prevalent, and carry the West Nile Virus, but I don't hear anyone freaking out because a mosquito bit them.....and they don't because it happens everywhere, everyday. Bed Bugs are just not that common lately, but as far as I can find out, they have not been found to carry any life threatning diseases.

I am not saying I would want them in my bed, but I am not freaking out over them either.

PS. I think it goes without saying, but mosquitos live on human blood too.....

Archived