Carnival Sunshine???

big_duck

That's really funny.

What I don't understand is why many of the major cruise lines copy each other's names. Carnival Destiny being changed to Carnival Sunshine - not long after RCI announced it's new Sunshine Class? Hmmmmm.

Why is the ship's name being changed anyways? Trying to clear its bad reputation?

I don't think there has been any formal communication that the new class of RCCL ships with be called the "sunshine class". Right now, I believe that is just the "project name" just as when the Oasis was being designed and hyped it was called Project Genesis.

OK, I just can't keep silent on this.

What dope smoking, tofu eating, tree hugging middle aged hippy beard came up with this beauty of a new name for the Carnival Destiny?

Will tie dye be mandatory on elegant night?

Will the house band be The Grateful Dead?

Will the funnel be reshaped into a peace sign?

Will there be a vegan specialty restaurant?

LOL. The ship will smell of patchouli.

Instead of cabin doors they will have bead curtains.

I don't understand the reasoning behind re-naming the ship. I mean I know she is getting a lot of changes but like someone else said, the Destiny was so revolutionary to the industry. Kind of like how wide body aircraft revolutionised the airline industry. Why change it? If it ain't broke......

(unless I'm missing something and it is "broke")

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

More details on Carnival Sunshine.

http://cruiseradio.net/carnival-destiny-transforms-to-carnival-sunshine-biggest-refurb-yet/

Sounds like it's gonna be a Fun Ship 2.0 ship jacked up on steroids.

Why wouldnt you link this instead ;):Dhttp://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4766

Wow. Nothing like getting all worked up over the name change of a ship. Nothing better to do I guess.

Jocularity about the horrible name aside, As the first cruise ship in the world over 100,000 tons the Destiny is historic.

Renaming the Destiny would be like Apple renaming the iPod. It is a terrible Corporate decision.

More details on Carnival Sunshine.

http://cruiseradio.net/carnival-destiny-transforms-to-carnival-sunshine-biggest-refurb-yet/

Sounds like it's gonna be a Fun Ship 2.0 ship jacked up on steroids.

Wow That sounds great! Looks like maybe a Sunshine cruise with a pre or post New Orleans stay may be in our future! Destiny was our first Carnival cruise and we loved her. Now that i see the drastic changes in store for her, the rename makes a little more sense to me.

Jocularity about the horrible name aside, As the first cruise ship in the world over 100,000 tons the Destiny is historic.

Renaming the Destiny would be like Apple renaming the iPod. It is a terrible Corporate decision.

I definatly agree with you on that

So true. I totally agree.

I think it is a great move on Carnival's part.

Destiny was it's own "class">> a class of mistakes that were later corrected for other ships

It seriously needs to be gutted and have more eating areas added cause the buffet is same size as Imagination but it has about 1000 more people crowded in it

I am sorry that they are leaving Florida, it would have been nice for 4-5 night cruises but I guess we get the Victory.

Of all the ships Destiny has the oldest decor- it has not had anything done/added, no serenity etc...so it really was in need of help

I have said all this long ago : Destiny should be gutted and redone totally ..and <grin> I was right :D

I like the name Sunshine. Maybe they will bring her back and forth to Europe for the summers, that would be cool

I guess we get Victory here in Miami and Valor goes to San Juan

No matter how you look at it, Carnival is doing what it needs to do to keep making money.

I personally am looking forward to trying the 2.0 innovations on the 3 night Glory next November :) Really seems like a winner!!

I remember when planning my first cruise - on the Destiny - how groundbreaking the ship was at the time. We flew to Miami (and we NEVER fly anywhere) just to cruise on the largest cruise ship ever built. It really was a huge deal.

I am thrilled to hear of the renovation, but am really sad to hear that her name is changing. I always wanted her to come to NOLA to have another opportunity to sail on her. I guess I'm sort of getting my wish. I would have loved to see her again in person (before the change). At least we'll have a shiny "new" ship in NOLA, that's always a good thing!

I wouldn't be suprised if this were a new trend - wear the ship out, refit her, and send her back out like a "new" ship. Sounds like there's no down side for Carnival and I think, even though we don't like it, a good business decision.

I don't think there has been any formal communication that the new class of RCCL ships with be called the "sunshine class". Right now, I believe that is just the "project name" just as when the Oasis was being designed and hyped it was called Project Genesis.

You are correct. It is called Project Sunshine. I'm almost certain the first ship won't be Sunshine of the Seas. I still can't help but wonder about the cruise lines' histories of copying names though and now suddenly, this word "Sunshine" is associated with 2 of the largest cruise lines.

Why does the Destiny have a bad reputation? I don't care about the name at all, I am just psyched it is getting a total makeover and being ported 4 hours from my house!!!

Try sailing her.

She's such a sterile ship, and it appears the only objective at the time was to get that ship over 100,000 tons.

Then they made the fixes, and launched the other two ships.

I think it is a great move on Carnival's part.

Destiny was it's own "class">> a class of mistakes that were later corrected for other ships

It seriously needs to be gutted and have more eating areas added cause the buffet is same size as Imagination but it has about 1000 more people crowded in it

...and it is only going to get worse. I think what they are doing to Destiny is going to be a disaster. Of course, only time will tell, but on a ship that already has design flaws and crowding problems, how do you add 2 decks, increasing staterooms and people? I think Carnival Nightmare would be a better name. I think this is a terrible move on Carnival's part.

I'm thinking Carnival Sun would be better; I know there is already NCL Sun though (I think anyways). When I think "sunshine", so much comes to mind...the word just has too many associations attached to it.

And thanks everyone, I now have that lame song from the Brady Bunch in my head!:mad:;)

Archived