Rain & Rainforest any tips

Hellie24

Silly question but when it rains in the Rainforest ....it it like a storm that clears & drys quickly or will we be wet for hours ... just thinking about use of a rain poncho or just take change of clothes...Dont mind getting wet but dont want to be uncomfortable all day... any tips ;)

All of the above. In general there are quick downpours throughout the day and depending where you are they can be quite reliable. It is weather though and I've seen days with no rain and I've seen it rain almost non stop for a week. All I can say is go prepared for rain and don't let it ruin your trip. During the rain or right after is my favorite time to look for tree & dart frogs so depending on what you want to see the rain can be a good thing.

As for drying quickly that really depends on where you are. In general rain forests are high humidity and wet almost constantly. In a true rain forest the sun really never reaches the ground so it's dark and damp down on the forest floor and even with clear blue sky the trees are often still dripping. Some of the more touristy places are "opened up" so it may be dryer.

I agree with the above poster, the rain amount and type can vary and it is very humid, so you're likely to be sticky if you come from colder climates even without rain.

The best time to tour is in the mornings. We find there is less rain in the morning than in the afternoon in most places of Costa Rica (but not all).

It also depends on what season you travel in and to which area.

Thank you both for info .Ive found a disposable poncho so I will pop that in my bag , we will be there in two weeks time and only for the day visiting Tortuguero Canals I think... Limon is Port of call....

• 1 month later...

Archived