Oceania- Athens to Barcelona with 94 yr old- need advice

JessicaMickey

Cruising with 94yr old mom-Athens to Barcelona in May- need advice regarding excursions. I am a seasoned traveler and wouldn't hesitate to arrange our own tours. It sounds like the cruiseline excursions do not encourage wheelchairs- She can walk but to make it easier, I will be pusing her in a wheelchair-Any advice would be appreciated-

Cruising with 94yr old mom-Athens to Barcelona in May- need advice regarding excursions. I am a seasoned traveler and wouldn't hesitate to arrange our own tours. It sounds like the cruiseline excursions do not encourage wheelchairs- She can walk but to make it easier, I will be pusing her in a wheelchair-Any advice would be appreciated-

It isn't the Cruiselines which discourage wheelchairs (Oceania in particular is VERY good about them), but the topography of Europe makes using a chair difficult if not impossible in certain situations.

eze.jpg Eze for example.

We have traveled extensively with our now late-eighty-something parents, and the secret to our success has been bringing our own travel wheelchair with us on the cruise.

http://www.specialtymedicalsupply.com/transport-travel-wheelchairs/?gclid=CJ2ktYaY1a4CFeQQNAodZEQCdQ

Airlines transport the chairs gratis, and travel chairs are lighter to lift over high stone European thresholds or up and down stairs.

Before investing in a chair, confirm the maximum width of chair that your cruiseline recommends. Our experience has been that even parents who resist sitting in a wheelchair will eventually use them on-board to avoid walking those long ship corridors.

59596580.jpg

Hope that this helped-

We took my 93-year-old father on a western Medterranean cruise in 2007 on Disney and had a great time. He used a travel wheelchair and a walker. There were obviously some difficulties, but nothing that couldn't be worked around. The staff was very accommodating. We're so glad we took him on that trip (he passed away in 2008). We did several excursions that did accommodate the wheelchair.

Ironically, I ended up in a wheelchair for a couple of recent cruises, due to rapidly advancing rheumatoid arthritis in both knees. We did "Jewels the Aegean" on Marina last September from Venice to Istanbul and had a great time! I used a collapsible lightweight wheelchair with the large back wheels (highly recommended). My wonderful hubby even pushed me through Ephesus (I did walk a little with a cane, and I hobbled over bridges in Venice). We booked independent tours or did our own explorations for the most part. Yes, it was challenging. Yes, we missed some things (Acropolis), but saw other things that made up for it. The staff was terrific on Marina. It was worth it and I'm glad we went.

I'm sitting here recovering from a second knee replacement since September hoping my future cruises will be more mobile. My advice is to go - research independent tours and check the disabled traveler thread here on CC.

I travelled with a friend who broke her ankle in one of our first ports. The ship was wonderful. It was MUCH easier doing the ships tours than the independent tours as the buses were easy to get in and out of more so than some of the smaller vans etc. However, the vans could get closer in some situations. Just make sure if you are going with an independent group that they are aware of the wheelchair becuase if they have a group of very active people and one wheelchair everyone will have a miserable day. Great that she is going! S.

My husband and I are traveling with a friend and his wife who does have low stamina for long distance walking, and have booked some private shore tours that will be convenient for him as well as see what we are interested in.. We have room on our Ephesus excursion which is about a 6 hour tour. We also transportation only to Rome, and a day tour booked to Florence. If you are interested in joining us let me know.. and I will give you some additional information :)

My husband and I are traveling with a friend and his wife who does have low stamina for long distance walking, and have booked some private shore tours that will be convenient for him as well as see what we are interested in.. We have room on our Ephesus excursion which is about a 6 hour tour. We also transportation only to Rome, and a day tour booked to Florence. If you are interested in joining us let me know.. and I will give you some additional information :)

How do you know that you're on the same cruise?

Well I dont know for sure ... however she is on the oceana Riviera roll call and listed the Athens to Barcelona itinerary .. sorry ...I guess I was assuming too much.. kind of new on this web site so not exactly sure where to post what .. :o

My mom and I are on the Oceania cruise that leaves Athens on the 14th of May- Athens, Santiorini, Ephesus, Taorminia, Positano, Civitazecchia, Livorino, and Marselle. We are very interested in joining private tours..and going in small groups.

Although she is 94 years old, I will be pushing her in a wheelchair (or use her walker on the ship as she can walk with a bit of assistance)- she is a hoot, loves people and adventures, and is well traveled.

I appreciate the advice given so far and would appreciate any additional comments.

Thanks-

J

Hi- I just found this icon- so I think I am replying to to you about private tours. We would be interested in talking...my mom and I are so excited about this trip- she is a very cool little lady and would be a joy for all- my husband and I love to travel- we are very upbeat folks (he's so not happy that he can't join us). If you saw by post about our ports and are sure we are on the same ship, this is great!!

Thanks!

J

Thanks- I will check to see if I can replace the wheels on her chair with large ones for the back...Also, will try to stick with private tours...thanks for your encouragement!

We found the smaller wheels more practical in Europe, because they make it easier to lift the chair with a person in it.

Both types of wheelchairs will work, but I respectfully disagree with JimandStan that a transport chair is better, having had the experience not just with my Dad, but also my personal experience. We really struggled with my Dad in a transport chair when we had to walk a few blocks in Rome to get to the Vatican Museums, for example, A wheelchair with the larger back wheels would have been very easy to turn around and "bump" down curbs and across gaps in cobblestones and it is much more stable. My hubby can attest, after pushing my Dad in a transport chair, pushing me in a transport chair (transport chairs have the small back wheels) and then pushing me in the ultra lightweight collapsible standard chair that he would never advocate using a transport chair again.

I suppose that it depends on how you intend to use the chair.

We were dealing with people who were able to walk, but had little endurance.

If we could not avoid a cobblestone street, for example, they walked it slowly, and we met them at the far end with the chair.

Where the transport chair really saved our lives was in the Dolmabahce Palace in Istanbul where Stans mom could not have navigated any of the huge marble staircases alone.

Dolmabahce-Palace_Exquisite-design_3364.jpg

By virtue of the fact that four men could comfortably grip her transport chair, we were able to get her up and down quite easily.

Both the Museum porter AND our tour guide, commented that a traditional chair would not have worked. We've had similar experiences at Casserta, Versailles and the Hofburg.

By the way, for those who don't already know, these are the two types of chairs that we are discussing:

i__258-500x500.jpgwheelchair258.jpg

Well thats a bummer ... we are not on the same cruise unfortunately.. we leave Athens May 26th on the Riviera with the same itinerary however.. and we would have loved for you and your Mother to join us... enjoy your cruise!!

I am not sure to how to respond to you...if we are on the same cruise (see my last post)- woudl like to talk about joining your tours...

Thanks-J

Well thats a bummer :(... we are not on the same cruise unfortunately.. we leave Athens May 26th on the Riviera with the same itinerary however.. and we would have loved for you and your Mother to join us... enjoy your cruise!!

progress.gif

Archived