help with directions from Bush International

vbecky

Hi we are going to be renting car and driving to Galveston would like someone who lives or has drove there before to help me out and let me know if this is a good way to go so we avoid tolls etc. Thanks

A) George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), 2800 N Terminal Rd, Houston, TX 77032 US

--------------------------------------------------

1. Start out going west on Terminal Rd N. (go 0.02 miles)

2. Turn slight left toward Parking Cents/Hotel. (go 0.12 miles)

3. Turn slight left onto John F Kennedy Blvd/JFK Blvd. (go 2.95 miles)

4. Turn slight left to take the Beltway 8 East ramp toward US-59. (go 0.84 miles)

5. Merge onto TX-8-BELTWAY E/Sam Houston Pky E. (go 1.05 miles)

6. Merge onto US-59 S toward Houston. (go 14.49 miles)

7. Merge onto I-45 S toward Galveston. (go 46.65 miles)

8. I-45 S becomes Broadway St/TX-87 N. (go 3.36 miles)

9. Turn right onto 14th St/Christopher Columbus Blvd.

- 14th St is just past 15th St

- St Paul United Methodist Chr is on the right

- If you reach 13th St you've gone a little too far

(go 0.43 miles)

10. Turn right onto Seawall Blvd/FM-3005. (go 0.29 miles)

11. 1702 SEAWALL BLVD is on the right.

- Your destination is just past 17th St

- If you reach 18th St you've gone a little too far

(go 0 miles)

--------------------------------------------------

B) 1702 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, TX 77550-8149 US

Ok thanks. So will 29s be noticeable leaving airport. N 45 s noticeable on highway? Will 45s take us to seawall? Thanks for your help.

If you do airport exit to eastside of airport

and turn south on 59 to downtown and then take 45 south to Galveston,

there will be no tolls.

There is a "toll" road Belyway 8 around entire city.

Beltway is not necesseary to use, but is an option....

and seems longer in distance than direct 59 into downtown to 45 south route!

Your choice!

There is 45 N route from Dallas to downtown Houston ,

then it continues into 45 south to Galveston,

but we don't go to west side of airport to 45N from airport.

It is easier leaving airport is reason!!!!

Loop 610 around city has no tolls either.

Maps will help!

pdficon.gifHouston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metro

dotline.gifpdficon.gif

Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map in PDF Format (note: this is a large, 11' wide, print-quality map, so please be patient):

Galveston (B&W)

Ok thanks. So will 29s be noticeable leaving airport. N 45 s noticeable on highway? Will 45s take us to seawall? Thanks for your help.

59 South, not 29.

There is hwy indication at the airport. The car rental agency will also provide directions. Just stay off the toll road as you can be charged enormous fees by the rental agency. The vehicles are not equipped with an "easytag" for paying tolls.

As stated US59 South, then at downtown, taking I45 South - is likely the best answer. The details from the OP sound right out of the airport and rental car area.

To help clarify for perhaps others - there is a relatively new tollroad connecting from the north airport area, around the east side, and down to I45 South. However, the first main section of this is EZTag Only. Which for those in rental cars - has been known to result in fines and penalties. There are ways to use the feeder streets, but thus detracts from the advantage of taking that route to begin with.

All that being said, the day and time can have plenty of traffic, so taking some alternates and perhaps picking up the Hardy Tollroad from the airport and even the Bltwy8 Tollway south of I10 can have its advantages (these offer traditional cash lanes as well as EZTag). Just consult any online map for more details.

One thing that confues many, is that Bltwy8 "between" I-45 North and US59 North is NOT tolled. So when they see the signs for that to help exit the airport area...they do not use it, thinking it is the tollway the rental car place warned them about.

HCTRA.ORG

I know, confusing. Plus all these roads are known by at least 2-3 names each. Welcome to Houston.

Yes, there are signs - but also the rental car place will assist.

The transition from US59 to I45 is large and right as you pass downtown Houston. The exit for I45 South Galveston will be towards the right side.

The transition of I45 into Galveston, well it simply runs right into it, can't miss! It will indeed take you to the Seawall, but down at the far east end. I assume you are headed that way because of a hotel or scenic drive, if so you will turn right shortly after coming across the causeway and get to the Seawall at Galveston's west end. Signs are plenty.

Note that the cruise terminal is opposite of the island from the Seawall. If on I45 and wishing to goto direct to the terminal, watch for signs shortly after crossing the causeway and turn 'left'.

Without the risk of sounding very stupid, I just want to make sure when I am leaving the rental car place at airport I can get on 59 south right from airport without having to go on the Beltway (is Beltway toll road)? When I put in mapquest it is saying that I have to take the Beltway ramp for about 1 mile to 59 south? Just don't want to be charged toll road since i will be in a rental? thanks again.:confused:

OP, your directions are fine.

Some things of note:

The section of The Sam Houston Tollway between Interstate 45 & US Highway 59 does not charge for tolls. It will be called Beltway 8, but it is the same road.

When you are exiting the airport, you will drive towards the Beltway 8 Intersection on JFK Blvd for a good distance. Once you approach the Beltway, there will be a ramp on the LEFT side of the road. Take that ramp and it will dump you directly on the Beltway. Shortly after you will see the exit for US Highway 59 South on your RIGHT.

The Transition to Interstate 45 South from US 59 South is very easy in downtown.

Interstate 45 South becomes Broadway. You can reach the Seawall by turning right on any of the major numbered streets. So if you want to turn down before you reach 14th, and "cruise" the seawall, you can. If you decide to do that, I recommend any of the major streets - Just Google Galveston to find the main ones.

Archived