Medical consent forms for non married couples

:confused:Okay, like I have nothing else to worry about or even do (leaving in 9 days) but this occured to me after reading about medical emergencies on and that traffic death of the woman aboard the LOS last month.

We have been together for almost 9 years but are not married. Stupid question but since HE is getting older (I am going to remain 48 for the next ten years) it occurred to me.... do we need release forms for each other to make medical decisions on the others behalf?

I just did one for my children with the babysitter while we are away...

We travel together all the time including many cruises but...

Many thanks for addressing this stupid question..

Donna

:confused:Okay, like I have nothing else to worry about or even do (leaving in 9 days) but this occured to me after reading about medical emergencies on and that traffic death of the woman aboard the LOS last month.

We have been together for almost 9 years but are not married. Stupid question but since HE is getting older (I am going to remain 48 for the next ten years) it occurred to me.... do we need release forms for each other to make medical decisions on the others behalf?

Donna

Not a stupid question at all and probably something to consider.

On our cruise last fall from Honolulu to Sydney, we had a 2 day stay in Auckland. Prior to reaching Auckland, a gentleman who was traveling with his companion of upteen years got ill and had to be transported to a hospital once we got to Auckland. His companion could not make any decisions on his behalf. He was taken to the hospital where he was treated and released once his daughter arrived from Sydney and his companion remained on the ship until we reached Sydney. All communications were by telephone with his daughter prior to her arrival.

I would definitely get a medical power of attorney for each of you in case something happens to either one of you. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Enjoy your cruise.

This is something that my husband and I both recognized as an issue a year or two ago and is why did decide to get married. Until that point we had no plans to do so, didn't see any need for it. But as you pointed out, we're both getting older (in our 40s) and realized we may not be able to legally be involved if something were to happen to the other; even with signed documents. So we decided to take no chances and went ahead and got married in January.

Donna

Most definitely not a stupid question.

Since you are not married and you are asking this question it's probably safe to assume that neither of you may not have done a Power of Attorney for Healthcare. Or if you have, someone else is named in the Power of Attorney for Heathcare. If this assumption is correct you have the same problem now as neither of you can make medical decisions on the others behalf whether you're on a cruise or not since you're not married.

For sake of nothing else you should have a Medical Release for the period of the cruise. However it would be better if you have a You can generally pull one up for your state on line, complete it and have it notarized. Most banks will notarize for free if you have an account.

Definitely a good thought. We had Power of Attorney papers drawn up for our own protection. The bad part would be you need to carry a copy with you, and hopefuly if you are in another country they will honor it.

We actually don't carry our papers, I think we need to consider it though.

This is something that my husband and I both recognized as an issue a year or two ago and is why did decide to get married. Until that point we had no plans to do so, didn't see any need for it. But as you pointed out, we're both getting older (in our 40s) and realized we may not be able to legally be involved if something were to happen to the other; even with signed documents. So we decided to take no chances and went ahead and got married in January.

You are right, I always joke that why should we mess up a great relationship/sex life with marriage. ;)

I have three teenagers...we have been waiting until things have calmed down a bit post divorce and blended families (probably too much info but you know what people share on these boards so )

We are planning on getting married next year with a planned elopement on board a cruise ship.

Things just get better when you get older!

You are right, I always joke that why should we mess up a great relationship/sex life with marriage. ;)

I have three teenagers...we have been waiting until things have calmed down a bit post divorce and blended families (probably too much info but you know what people share on these boards so )

We are planning on getting married next year with a planned elopement on board a cruise ship.

Things just get better when you get older!

Yeah, we waited as long as we did because of a messy (and still not getting better) divorce on his side. He had to file bankruptcy to get rid of her loans on his record before we could safely get married, because her creditors were starting to come after him for money. We're in an ongoing battle right now over her many contempt of court and refusal to let us have the kids on visitation weekends and weeks.

You should consider this for every-day life rather than as a specific concern pertaining to a cruise.

What actions are taken by the medical facility of the ship are one thing, but if you are transported to shore in a different country this can introduce a concern as to whether they will honor any document that conflicts with their law.

Definitely get the whole package drawn up, not only for travel, but in real life too. My mother died and I was the only one left to take care of my Dad's affairs. Thankfully, I could step in with my Health Care Power of Attorney, Durable Power of Attorney and copies of his Living Will and he had the will updated to name me sole beneficiary of his estate after my Mom and Brother died.

Our attorney also drew up the full set of papers for our son after he turned 18. Under HIPA laws we could not have had a say in the care of our unmarried son from the day he turned 18 because that is considered the age of majority for that purpose. We were so glad we had it when he was in a car accident at age 20 and unable to consent to lifesaving surgery. The hospital accepted the fax copy of the Health Care POA since we could not get there in person with the papers in time and we consented to the surgery over the phone with a nurse and her supervisor. All turned out well in the end for him, but a delay could have been fatal since he had internal bleeding.

[quote=sherilyn70;32789012]Yeah, we waited as long as we did because of a messy (and still not getting better) divorce on his side. He had to file bankruptcy to get rid of her loans on his record before we could safely get married, because her creditors were starting to come after him for money. We're in an ongoing battle right now over her many contempt of court and refusal to let us have the kids on visitation weekends and weeks.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. My ex is a putz but at least he is someone else's problem now. I have my three kids 95% of the time unless he does the Disney Dad thing. My fiance's one child is grown (40) so I have grandchilden the age of my children.

Take care! Remember one day all of this will past you and we will be like those other couples on this board taking three or four cruises each year! Living well is the best revenge!

Definitely a good thought. We had Power of Attorney papers drawn up for our own protection. The bad part would be you need to carry a copy with you, and hopefuly if you are in another country they will honor it.

We actually don't carry our papers, I think we need to consider it though.

Come to Boston...make it legal, then go on a nice honeymoon cruise to Maine and Nova Scotia! ( file this under any excuse to cruise!);):D

Archived