Venice hotels

Traveling Bob

Do you actually want to be in Venice itself? Getting to and from hotels can be a serious pain in the proverbial with luggage what with bridges to get up and down sometimes. Airport water bus isn't too bad as long as your hotel is near a stop. Water taxis are extortionate.

I've stayed in Venice before when I was there forna few days, but when I'm only arrivingbthenday before, late afternoon, I just stay out in Mestre. Very easy taxinride to there from the airport. 10-15 minute taxi ride the next morning overbthe causeway straightnin tomthe port. No hassle with luggage at all.

I only had one night pre-cruise back in January and wanted to be in Venice but wanted something relatively convenient since I was traveling solo and would have a fairly large suitcase with me and didn't want the expense of a water taxi. I read lots of comments on the Italy Ports board here on cruise critic and then reviews on Trip Advisor and decided on Hotel Antiche Figure. I was very pleased with my choice. It was a short walk (although I did have to cross 2 bridges) from Piazzale Roma where the bus from the airport dropped me of and where I went to get the "people mover" to get me to the ship. The staff there were very helpful, and my room was clean and nicely kept. Keep in mind that it's a 30-40 minute walk or vaporetto ride to Piazza San Marco from there, but I enjoyed both wandering through the city and the vaporetto ride. There are several other hotels near Piazzale Roma that seem to be frequently recommended on the Italy Ports board.

in march of 2011 we stayed at the hotel villa laguna on the lido but on the main vaperetto stop(about a 200yd walk) and absolutely loved it..our rooms had a view of st marks,the morning breakfast was great,there were shops and restaurants a block away that were very nice and it was a very relaxed atmosphere...we stayed 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise and it was great( there were 8 of us so splitting a water taxi wasnt so bad either and the hotel has its own dock and taxi took us straight to the ship.:cool:

Hotel AAron in Mestre is a great hotel. The prices are good as well. It is situated in a good location if you have time to go to visit Padova. Mestre centre itself is sweet as well. You can book a taxi to Venice cruise terminal before the cruise.

On the other hand, if you want to stay in Venice, you can stay in Hotel Santa Chiara. It is close to terminal, and you have no need to go over bridges with luggages. The hotel itself is not cheap and its not nice either, but in a good location to visit Venice and be close to Terminal

We have stayed at Locanda di Orsaria about 100 yards from the train station twice and enjoyed it. It's a 5-7 minute walk to Piazzale Roma where you can catch a bus to the airport or the People Mover to the port. Great breakfast and great staff as well.

Archived