Dunne's River Falls vs. Mayfield Fall

SpokaneDan

Will disembark from Mo Bay early April. Base on Google map, Dunne's river falls is 90k away while Mayfield is 30K. We are willing to travel and fine with demanding physical activity. The road to Dunne's appear to be along the coast (? scenic). Any insights on helping us choose b/w the two excursion would be much appreciated.

Dan

Will disembark from Mo Bay early April. Base on Google map, Dunne's river falls is 90k away while Mayfield is 30K. We are willing to travel and fine with demanding physical activity. The road to Dunne's appear to be along the coast (? scenic). Any insights on helping us choose b/w the two excursion would be much appreciated.

Dan

I chose Mayfield because it is a more active excursion. Instead of just climbing up the falls you are really in the falls. It is a very wet excursion. How wet do you want to get? There are places to cliff jump, underwater caves to swim thru, natural jacuzzi's, and more. It is also cheaper ($45 vs. $65) as well as a shorter drive. So we will still have time to check out the hip strip, m-ville, or cave beach.

If you google for a comparison many reviewers who have been to both said they enjoyed Mayfield more.

DRF is more touristy but the falls are larger.

After looking at some of the reviews on Trip Advisor, I do not wish to go to Maysfield Falls. Yes, there are many good reviews but the bad ones can not be dismissed. Paying $15 to get in, then being frequently reminded how your guide(s) work on tips. Guides smelling of pot. Perhaps this common in Jamaica, but if you are running a business where your clients find that objectionable, be a professional and don't do it while working. Someone witnessed $50 being stolen from them. Someone else naively was pressured into and naively gave their home phones number. They eventually had to change their number because someone called up to five times a day begging for money! I for one am choosing to stay away from Maysfield Falls.

-- I googled Mayfield Falls, Jamaica, and click the images. You should see plenty of photos

-- The negative reviews seems more critical of the tour guides than the destination.

From MoBay, it is quite a bit closer for me to go to Mayfield than Dunne's, and the clincher. If I were to port at Ocho Rios, Dunne's where I be.

I am planning to book through Trevor Hudling tours. Will try to leave a feedback after return in April.

Actually, A-Z Jamaica Planners also offer a tour of Mayfield Falls, with a stop at Dr. Cave beach..... while Tyler Hudlin's Mayfield tour has a more scenic outlook. Decision, decision...

Trevor's tour stops near the beach too. Technically it stops at the Pork Pit for lunch, but that is walking distance to the beach. Trevor's price is also better. That was the clincher for me.

But I agree with you, if I were porting in Ocho, I'd do DRF for certain.

Trevor's tour stops near the beach too. Technically it stops at the Pork Pit for lunch, but that is walking distance to the beach. Trevor's price is also better. That was the clincher for me.

Do you know which beach is it close too? Dr. Cave's? When will you be at Jamaica?

Dan

Do you know which beach is it close too? Dr. Cave's? When will you be at Jamaica?

Dan

It is close to Dr's Cave. But admission price for Dr.'s Cave would not be included in Trevor's price. IDK if it is included in A to Z's price. That might make up the price difference between the two.

I'll be there the week before you. I am not planning to visit Dr's Cave. I don't want to pay for admission and chairs and stuff. But I do hope to take a ride on the free slide at M-ville or perhaps play on the water toys near their beach. At minimum I'd like to take a walk on the hip strip.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that we really enjoyed this excursion with Trevor, but we did not get to Dr.'s Cave Beach or M-ville. So book with A to Z if you have your heart set on visiting these locations. After the falls and lunch most people on the tour wanted to get back to the ship in time to change for early dinner seating.

If it is just your group and you don't mind getting back to the ship closer to 5:30 you might be able to fit it in.

I LOVED Mayfield Falls and would highly recommend it if you want to get out of the Touristy-ness of Dunns. I have done both twice and Loved them both, but Mayfield was such an amazing experience, it's rated as one of my favorite excursions of all times (and that's a LOT of excursions). It is a really cool less crowded set of falls, that's more like hiking up a river and climbing small sets of falls along the way. It think we walked the river for 2+ hrs. Along the way we were shown plants, cool swim through caves, natural jacuzzis, and given the opportunity to jump off a small cliff into the water. It was awesome. The guides were professional, fun, informative and we were more than happy to tip them at the end. It was a great way to see so much more of Jamaica than DRF.

While the distance to DRF is about 90K, the drive time is about 1.25 hrs from MoBay. The distance to Mayfield is shorter, but the roads are a bit more hilly and backroads, so it will take a good hour to get there (I think, we went from Negril and it was 1.5 hrs). Well worth the drive.

Just returned from the cruise, and the trip to Mayfield falls was the highlight. Went with AZ planner, no problem at all. Our driver, Mark, was thoughtful, punctual and responsible.

Only caveat is that the road to Mayfield is very bad. From MoBay, it took about 70 min. to cover the 30 miles (2/3 of which are windy mountain road). Not recommended for people with spine or motion sickness problem.

we did the hip strip/dr cave beach/margaritaville as part of the trip. Wish we had at least one more hour.

Archived