Star in Alaska

We're cruising on the Star August 29. We too are very much looking forward to the reviews of Alaska. Do you have excursions planned yet? Noted you are from Boston - we live south of Boston - about 5 miles from the Rhode Island line.

We will be on the Star Aug. 22 (83 days to go). Can't wait. Also looking forward to reading some reviews.
This is our 3rd trip to Alaska. We have signed up for Captain Larry's whale watching in Juneau. Found out we have more time in Juneau. Arriving 9 a.m. instead of 2 p.m. Time for another tour.

We are on the Star July 4 and also anxious to see some reviews. We've booked Captain Larry in Juneau and the train in Skagway. With the extra time in Juneau we're hoping to have time to take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier in the morning - does anyone know if its possible to do that and be back by 3 for the whale trip? Really pushing it, also hoping to maybe ride the tram too!
We were on the Star last summer in Hawaii and really enjoyed the ship - looking forward to cruising again!!

Hi!
We are sailing the Star in 19 days! June 20 sailing. I will post a review when we return. We are doing the White Pass railroad/bus/gold rush trail camp combo through NCL in Skagway. Also, some in our group are going out with Capt. Larry in Juneau. (Long story about me coordinating with 17 people, calling to book, getting new info from Capt. Larry on a better plan, calling everyone back, getting it all set for the 5:30 pm tour....Now we are scheduled to arrive in Juneau earlier and the original plan would be much better!!!). I have not received a fax or other official word about the earlier arrival time. I saw it on the website, but am looking forward to "reality checks" when other Star cruisers start getting back in from their cruises.

We are going snorkeling in Ketchikan and probably hiking at Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and also taking the Mt. Roberts Tram in Juneau.

CaribBeantown,
Great to see you on the NCL board again! I always enjoy reading your posts.
Julie

lhall85917 -
If you are booked w/ Capt Larry, they have a pre or post excursion trip to Mendenhall Glacier for $10.00. I signed up for the "pre" & they take you to the Glacier & then to the whale watching. I think it is also $10.00 to catch the regular shuttle.

Hi Zimmerjulie! I will be waiting with great anticipation for your review. I have a friend who works on the Star who called me today from Juneau. He just had to tell me how much nicer the weather was in Juneau than what we've been experiencing in Boston!!!

We will be arriving in Seattle on August 12 for three nights pre-cruise stay. Any suggestions on hotels, things not to miss, good places to eat? Also, was hoping to catch a Seattle Mariners/Yankees game scheduled for Friday night but can't seem to get tickets on line. Do you know of any local ticketing agencies in the Seattle area I could contact?

Thank you much!!! I enjoy reading your posts also!

You might try this link
[url="http://www.eventinventory.com/search/results.cfm?restart=yes&client=1351&e=771&v=1488&s=1&month=8&day=15&year=2004#Top"]Barry's Tickets[/url]
for Mariner's tickets. I have not ordered from them before, but I noticed that it seems they are showing availability.

I will be in Seattle this weekend and I will give a call to my local sports expert (my sister's father-in-law), if you still need a lead on some tickets.

We always stay with friends and relatives in Seattle, so we don't have a good hotel recommendation, unfortunately. I will say that the airport area is usually much cheaper, but for good reason, as there is nothing out there but airport support stuff, hotels, parking lots, fast food, etc. It seems like the Downtown Marriott Waterfront would be great, and I see that people have been getting this with a 3*** bid on Priceline.

Downtown is great. I always like to go to the Pike Place Market and the Space Needle.

Happy Planning [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by zimmerjulie on 06-01-04 at 11:07 PM.]

Glad that worked out! Safeco is an amazing field. The area around there gets pretty festive too, pre game and post (especially if all goes well at the game [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]).

I wish the Star had been in Alaska last summer. I'm looking forward to reviews from her trip up north.

Orcatek

[url="http://www.orcatekweb.com"]Reviews[/url]
NCL Star 2002 - Hawaii
HAL Ryndam 2003 - Alaska

Orkatek - if you're up for a trip up to Alaska in July 2005, there's some of us planning a CC cruise - we haven't locked in the ship and itinerary yet, but I'm thinking it may end up being the Star. We have a thread on the Hawaii board (okay - I know that's strange...lol...but a bunch of us who live in Hawaii thought it would be cool to get us all together for a trip to Alaska).

How fun it would be to cruise with you. You were one of the first people I talked to over a year ago when I joined CC and I devoured every word of your review!

Aloha,
Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!
NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!
Alaska summer 2005!

Archived