Yellowbird Party Boat??

BallanceKris

I was on the Yellow Bird in September of last year. It was a fun time. The ride from the pier to the island is basicly a sight seeig tour. They show you points of interest and famous homes like Jim Carrey, Barry Bonds and Tiger Woods. The time you spend at the island is very relaxing, At least the island we went to was. (It is owned by Eddie Murphy) Had a lighthouse that you can go in, food stand, restrooms, shower for after you got out of the ocean. It is my understanding that they have more then one island that they use. The ride back to the peir from the island is when the party gets started. I live band is on board, lots of participation from people on board. Limbo contest and free rum punch drinks. Kinda watered down, but they are free. I would recommend it for anyone over 21 years old.

The Yellowbird was great. On the way to Pearl Island they give a narrative of famous homes and buildings you sail past, as well as a history of the Bahamas. Pearl Island makes it all worth it... nice little island with all the amenities you could want (lighthouse, beach, snorkeling, overpriced gift shop, bar w/food). It turns into a traditional party boat on the way back, with the obligatory limbo contest. Included rum punch and cheap beer... a wonderful time was had by all but... be careful with those rum punches... they are weak but they sneak up on you!

I did it, but I honestly wouldn't do it again. It's probably different each cruise depending on the crowd onboard but we didn't seem to have a very lively bunch. :(

I much preferred the Blue Lagoon Island excursion. You also get free rum punch on the boat to the island but the amenities on the island are SO much better, and you stay there longer. :cool: As I recall, it wasn't even that much more expensive than the Yellow Bird.

I did it, but I honestly wouldn't do it again. It's probably different each cruise depending on the crowd onboard but we didn't seem to have a very lively bunch. :(

I much preferred the Blue Lagoon Island excursion. You also get free rum punch on the boat to the island but the amenities on the island are SO much better, and you stay there longer. :cool: As I recall, it wasn't even that much more expensive than the Yellow Bird.

Michelle .... Please tell us more about the BLUE LAGOON ISLAND Excursion!

Michelle .... Please tell us more about the BLUE LAGOON ISLAND Excursion!

Sorry, should have elaborated. :)

We left for the excursion around 9:00 a.m... had to walk to a ferry boat that takes you to Blue Lagoon Island. The ride to the island is about an hour long. They offer free (watered-down) rum punch and $6 mixed drinks. (Beer, too, but I don't remember how much that cost.)

Once you arrive at the island there are a number of things you can do. There were things for sale, tropical drinks at a bar ($6 for a delicious Piña Colada), hair braiding, swimming, snorkeling, hammocks, picnic tables, basketball, clean restrooms, showers, hiking, calypso music, etc., etc., etc. We chose to relax in a hammock and listen to the ocean; it was lovely.

My only gripe is that the lunch they offered was extremely overpriced. They were charging $8.50 for a hot dog or hamburger and $11.50 for barbecued ribs or chicken. We skipped it and filled up on pina coladas. ;)

To head back to the ship, there were two ferries you could take, at 2:00 or 4:00.

I believe the excursion was $35 per person.

There is also a Blue Lagoon excursion with stingrays. Our friend did that, it was the same as ours but when you get to the island they take you to a place you can snorkel with stingrays. I'm sure it's not as neat as at Grand Cayman but might be fun. That costs a little more, though. After the stingray snorkeling there's still plenty of time to relax on the island.

Edited to add that there's also a dolphin encounter you can do with this excursion, too, though I don't know anyone who did it.

I'd love to book another cruise to Nassau just to go back to Blue Lagoon. The very thought of laying in a hammock with a pina colada in hand listening to the ocean just makes me go ahhhhh... :cool:

In contrast, the island the Yellow Bird goes to - Pearl Island - is very small, much smaller than Blue Lagoon, and doesn't offer hammocks. We went on the Yellow Bird on our next cruise after going to Blue Lagoon, and were disappointed. I just found all the amenities on Blue Lagoon to be much nicer. (Plus, like I said, when we were on the Yellow Bird it was not exactly the happenin' party we were expecting.)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

We've done the Yellow Bird a few times, most recently to Pearl Island. Must like it; we keep going back. Peaceful sightseeing ride out, with weak rum punch; much heavier on the rum (still free) on the way back. Fun time!

Archived