Need advise on FT.Lauderdale Hotel-So confused!

Prior to our Enchantment cruise in March '05 we spent 2 nights at the Best Western Peilcan Beach Resort. It is a brand new hotel (actually they tore down old 2-story buildings to build an 11 or 12 floor building) -- the hotel portion has been open since Nov or Dec '04, but they were just having their restaurant grand opening while we were there. Anyway, the hotel sits directly on the beach and most rooms have oceanfront views. Very clean, very well run, great food, and an awesome/friendly staff. It rained while we were there, so we didn't get to try it out, but they even have a lazy river ride beside their pool. I think it may be right around that $200/night range, but we would go back there again in a heartbeat if we had a full day to spend on property (I probably wouldn't go there if I was only flying in the night before the cruise). There is not shuttle service, but if my memory serves correct it was about $20 inlcuding tip from the airport and from the hotel to the port was less than $10.

Immn, do you think because March is such a busy time, that $129 would be a reasonable price plus taxi rides ($40ish), for Holiday Inn Lauderdale by the Sea?? I like the idea of having the beach right there although the rooms certainly don't look as nice in the pictures as Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. If you do the math, the two hotels come to close to the same price after you add taxis on to the Lauderdale by the Sea. What would your opinion be??? :confused: Tks again for all your advise!

Immn, do you think because March is such a busy time, that $129 would be a reasonable price plus taxi rides ($40ish), for Holiday Inn Lauderdale by the Sea?? I like the idea of having the beach right there although the rooms certainly don't look as nice in the pictures as Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. If you do the math, the two hotels come to close to the same price after you add taxis on to the Lauderdale by the Sea. What would your opinion be??? :confused: Tks again for all your advise!

Let me do some research for you. I'm heading out for the evening. Please watch for a post tomorrow.

We just sailed on Jewel on April 9th, and stayed at the Embassy Suites. It is located only a few blocks from the pier. The rooms are huge, they have a complimentary happy hour in the evening and a breakfast made to order included. There is a super market around the corner, a CVS drugstore within walking distance, a terrific Irish bar across the street and restaurants all within walking distance from fast food to the culinary college. They offer a shuttle to the pier that many folks used and it left sooner than the shuttle RCCL supplied. If we stay in FLL again, it'll be at Embassy Suites!!!!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your tips....all are appreciated.

Over the edge...sorry we wont get to say HI an board but as long as you have the cruise that you wanted with your DH thats the main thing. If only we could all get our FLL part sorted out now and we'd all be happy ! What cabin did you manage to get for this new sailing. Hope you got the one you wanted !

Immn...Thank you soooo much for your offer to search for me. How very kind of you. I hope that you had a lovely evening out.....We had a very glamorous night (not) our dd and dsl have a 7 month old puppy who they feel is too young to be left home alone so DH and I have him at our home tonight while we doggie sit. and they dance the night away at a 21st birthday party.

Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Thank you again for your kindness

Sandra aka happycruzer

Cruisingator2, that is a wonderful view from the Marriott Marina. Its just too expensive for us for the month of March. I'm beginning to realize that spring break months are not cheap to travel in. I bet if a person travelled in Oct or Dec they would save on hotels as well as the cruise itself! I'm learning so much as I go. You and I both had JS 1694. Wasn't it a great room and balcony!!! ;)

Cruisingator2, that is a wonderful view from the Marriott Marina. Its just too expensive for us for the month of March. I'm beginning to realize that spring break months are not cheap to travel in. I bet if a person travelled in Oct or Dec they would save on hotels as well as the cruise itself! I'm learning so much as I go. You and I both had JS 1694. Wasn't it a great room and balcony!!! ;)

Actually that photo was taken from the Marriott Biscayne Bay in Miami but the Marriott in FLL has about the same view but is closer.

happycruzer, have you noticed your March 11th sailing?? All the GS & JS appear to be gone. I checked last night and there was one JS left but the price had gone way up! When things like this happen, it makes you happy you booked early!

I forgot to tell you that I am very happy with my room. I wanted JS 1100, of course, but it was only available for what I believe must be the Easter week and it was very expensive. I chose March 25 and landed JS 1602 aft! I am very, very pleased.

I have also made reservations at both Holiday Inn Air/Sea Port and Holiday Inn Lauderdale by the Sea'n Beach. Both reservations have a credit card holding them but the card will not be charged until check in and both can be cancelled up until the day of check in without penalty! At least now I know I will have a place to lay my head if nothing better or less expensive turns up.

I really want to hear Immn's advise too! Hope he/she is having fun on their night out!! :p

Holiday Inne_1_43.gif

Will someone please help me pick a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. I was reading about the Best Western Marina (Fort Lauderdale) and Holiday Inn Express Convention Centre. I really appreciate anyone's first hand knowledge and expertise!:)

No, no, no on the BW Marina. As one poster on the hotel threads said "I wish I brought a tent and pitched it in the parking lot, its a lot cleaner then the hotel itself" This hotels has seen better days.

The HIxpress is brand new but the area leaves a lot to be desired. Avoid at all cost any hotel on SR84 in Ft.Lauderdale.

The HI Lauderdale by the Sea is another one to avoid http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=168386

There is a lot of good information on the Cruise Critic hotel thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92.

Most people are able to get great hotels on 17th Street (Hyatt Pier 66, Marriott Marina, Renaissance, for under $100 using Priceline.com.)

Bequia, thank you so much for sending that review. It certainly didn't sound good. I'll be a bit afraid trying priceline now, with my luck, thats the hotel I'll get!!! :rolleyes: By the sounds of things, the Renaissance would be a good one to win on priceline! :)

As another local I'll second everything Bequia says!

If price is an object try Priceline, for more info on that see this website... http://www.biddingfortravel.com/

I believe they call the SE 17th Street area "downtown". SE 17th Street would be one of the better areas to stay as it's just outside the entrance to Port Everglades and there are many many shops and restaurants within walking distance of the hotels.

You can frequently get very nice hotels on Priceline for less than you'll pay directly for one of the many dumps down here, but as always, remember you get what you pay for and there are a lot of not so nice places here.

I would recommend the following...

Renaissance (my personal favorite)... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Embassy Suites... http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=FLLSOES

Marina Marriott... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLFL

Hyatt Pier 66... http://pier66.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

Or if you want oceanfront these are directly on the nicest part of Fort Lauderdale Beach, and still only a very short taxi ride to Port Everglades...

Harbor Beach Marriott... http://www.marriottharborbeach.com/

Lago Mar... http://www.lagomar.com/

Trents: Thanks so much for the great websites! I must admit, they are a bit pricey for me, but I will read up on priceline and possibly give it a try when the time comes. I did read good reviews on "tripadvisor" for Ramada Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport. I realize it is on the lower end, but the reviews say that the rooms are very clean and I think I can get it for $79.00 a night. My date hasn't come out yet, but the week before I need it is priced at $79.00. Do you know anything about this hotel?? :p

I did read good reviews on "tripadvisor" for Ramada Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport. I realize it is on the lower end, but the reviews say that the rooms are very clean and I think I can get it for $79.00 a night. My date hasn't come out yet, but the week before I need it is priced at $79.00. Do you know anything about this hotel?? :p

On no no no, that's in a very nasty neighborhood, and is of the calibur I would never recommend to anyone for more reasons than I care to go into here. Please do yourself a huge favor and stay away from those State Road 84 motels.

If I remember correctly many have reported getting some of those SE17th Street hotels for less than that rate through Priceline, and there's a world of difference between those and State Road 84 "ho"tels.

Over the Edge, I've never seen such high quality posts in response to a question. TrentS and others have given you great advice. Definitely check in at the Hotels Board, as there is lots of good information there, including a recent warning to avoid the HI Lauderdale by the Sea. You've got plenty of time so continue to read past posts to all the relevant boards, even other cruise line boards who sail out of Port Everglades, like HAL and Princess.

I'm a very satisfied Priceline user and swear by Bidding for Travel, so my advice would be to start bidding in October for a 3 or 4 star Downtown. There are no clunkers here. I would never consider the Best Western Marina. Just keep bidding in your price range, up to $100 or so. You can make the same bid every 72 hours. I think I posted on the Celebrity boards a few weeks ago, very detailed instructions how to take advantage of free rebids. You can probably find my comments by looking at my profile and then all past posts. Your dates in March are the biggest problem, but by starting to bid early and often, maybe you will be the one to snag that great Priceline deal that everyone will be jealous of. 17th Street is where I would want to be. Everthing you need is there, and it is close to the airport and even closer to the port. Good luck.

There have been some reviews of that place on here in the last few months and they've been downright scary. I recall one person saying it was so bad they just left and ate what they paid because they couldn't get away from the place fast enough.

I'm no Priceline expert, that's why I recommend reading that Bidding for Travel website, but if it's too early to bid for your stay I would recommend booking something acceptible that's cancelable and then try bidding as your date gets closer, and if you can snag a nice place cheaper then cancel the first place you booked.

To Everyone that has given me advise, thank you so much. Your knowledge has been invaluable. I will stick to the hotels that you highly recommend. I did get the Hyatt in Miami last year for under $100 on Hotwire and we were pleased with those accommodations and price. I will also do my research for priceline and give it a try in the early Fall. Thanks again! :)

I have just read all the posts, and you have received very good advice by all on specific hotels. In my opinion on the above question, I would stick to a hotel closer to the port. No need to pay that amount for a taxi. Also keep in mind the amount of time you will be there. I know it's nice to be by the beach, but typically people come in late afternoon and leave to go to ship late AM the next day. Not very much time. I might be more interested in having a Starbucks close by. At this point, which you've already done, is to have a back up hotel. Now until the time of the cruise you can search to see if you can find something better. I would think about six months prior would be a good time to get more serious. I really like to check Hotwire.com frequently. You can get a good idea on availability and prices, plus you can usually pinpoint the hotel by the icons before purchasing. You can do this by going to betterbidding.com. Personally, I only book 3* or above on Hotwire or Priceline. In Ft. Lauderdale, my preference would be beach and downtown zones. With a back up, you have no pressure. I would just stick with your budget, and don't worry about a shuttle. As I mentioned before, if you don't make that first shuttle...take a taxi. You don't want to be waiting all day for a free shuttle when it will only cost a few dollars to take a taxi.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Feel free to ask away if you have any other questions. Actually went out last night with one of my cruising friends...alway good laughs!!! For the first time I will be cruising with my family in July. As you can appreciate, from looking at the above posts, we have the JS 1100 on the Serenade. My husband who has never been on a cruise has been joking about fishing off the balcony and bringing his hammock....LOL. I've not been on an Alaska cruise and very much looking forward to it.

Hi Immn, i've just read the very helpful advice that you have given over the edge. I wonder if you would be so kind as to offer me some advice too.

We are travelling from the UK and sailing from March 5th >March 19th on the Jewel,in and out of FLL but flying back from MIA. We would love your oppinion on a hotel to stay for 3 nights post cruise (6 adults in total. ages 22,26,27,28,50 & 52) Ideally to be on or very near the beach. I'm not confident enough to use priceline etc as I'm a bit of a control addict in that I need to know all the info etc and make sure that everything is organised fully, so really dont think I could handle booking something when I dont know what I'm booking (sorry its a bit long winded)

Do you think our dates in March will be difficult to find accom for and a reasonable price. I'd love to hear your oppinion on a decent hotel and where/when it is best to book.

Transfers really are not too important as we will just get a taxi or mini van to take us all if need be.

Many thanks for your advice.

Over the edge .....sorry for jumping in on you post ,but I found Immn advice very helpful and wondered if she could help us too. BTW have you changed your sailing dates ? I thought that you were on one of the same dates as us. 5th & 12 March. Hope it wasn't something I said lol.

Have a good weekend folks and safe journey home to all the pax on the Granduer.

sandra aka happycruzer

I do not think it will be difficult as long as you book early. What would you consider reasonable price?

Since you are wanting to stay by the beach and since the cruisers in your group are mostly in their 20's, I would recommend South Beach area. Lots of nightlife and great beach! Only problem, South Beach area hotels are more expensive. Another option, that may be more reasonable, would be to stay in downtown Miami, and take taxi to South Beach for the day or evening. I would also recommend booking a back up hotel, and then taking your time to find a hotel that may be more reasonable and meets your needs.

Someone else may be able to give you better advice for March. I know Ft. Lauderdale is totally booked during spring break. I'm not sure if it is high season in South Beach or Miami.

As I indicated on my above post, I like to use Hotwire.com. With the icons you can typically pinpoint the hotel before purchasing. You can get that information on betterbidding.com. I'm not sure by your post if you need two beds per room. Be aware that if you use Priceline you may get a room with one bed. If you need two beds, I would use Hotwire. Even if there are only two, make sure to indicate 2 adults, 1 child when bidding. Once you pinpoint a hotel, you can do your research to make sure it meets your needs. If you do decide to bid, make sure you request all your rooms on the same request so you get the same hotel. Also, I would not bid under 3*.

I understand the "control" thing, because I'm the same way. If you book a back up, you have full control. If you wish to try bidding, just do your research. In most cases you can pinpoint the hotel, so once again you would be taking very little risk. If you have questions, just ask on this board. The people on these boards are amazing!!!

Good luck to you. I would be happy to answer any other questions.

has anyone ever stayed at riverside hotel in F.L.

I have read some good reviews. Nice neiborhood, night life, shopping etc.

Seems to be quite a difference in reviews of the old part of hotel vs new (tower)

I don't know if this is a priceline bid hotel or not.

rates $150 to $189.

The water taxi stop near. Not far from port.

Would like some opinions please.

Thank you.

The Riverside hotel (http://www.riversidehotel.com/) is a very nice place, and would be a wonderful choice, but yes, be aware that there are 2 very different parts of that hotel. There's a very quaint "old" part, and then there's a new tower (above a Cheesecake Factory Restaurant... Mmmm, yummy! ;) )

The Water Taxi stops right behind the hotel, and the hotel is right on beautiful Las Olas Blvd., with many many shops and restaurants right there, within walking distance... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Port Everglades and the airport are about a 10-15 minute cab ride away, it's not far at all. I doubt it's available on Priceline though, at least I've never heard of anyone getting it that way.

Archived