Need advise on FT.Lauderdale Hotel-So confused!

Signman I have found the opposite to be true on Hotwire. I try to book that a year in advance as soon as the hotel I want opens. It opens at a cheap price and then the price climbs and climbs as my departure date gets closer. About a month before I leave the price goes back to what I originally paid for the room months and months before. But I don't like to wait until a month before to wait. I always book my hotel about 10 mos before on Hotwire for best pricing. Not familiar with Priceline tho.

Hi,

We are staying at the Riverside Hotel in the Executive towers (the new part.) The hotel is located at 620 East Las Olas Blvd., near the water taxi. A beautiful pool on the river. We are paying $199 for an executive room with large marble bath and balcony. Included in our fare is a full breakfast and a high floor ocean view. Hoping to see the ships come in also.

I am not sure if a shuttle is offered, however we have checked into a car service from airport to the hotel ($40 for 4) and will probably arrange the same to get to the port, or call a taxi. We have tried the free shuttles before and they are just too maddening to fool with.

Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://209.25.184.78/home.htm

Staying in an American hotel, we can charge to our creditcard, (example: $200us) and the creditcard company does the conversion and it shows up on my creditcard as Canadian. Not sure of the rate today, but it might show up as $250, maybe more depending on the creditcard company's fees. Of course, I could also pay in American cash, which cost me more to buy at the bank. Again, a similiar exchange rate. When I see a price for a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, in my own mind, I add on about 25% and this would be close to what it would cost me!! Hope that helps! I'm not discouraged and I know I have lots of time to find a hotel. I already booked a cancellable hotel for a back-up so "no worries". :)

Just to give you an accurate idea, here are the different prices I was charged for our deposits for the next few cruises.....Charged March 10 $500 American = $616.99(Can) Charged March 31 $500 American = $623.36 (Can)

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but we got the Hyatt Pier 66 (www.pier66.com) on Priceline for $95 per night precruise in January. Great hotel with wonderful pools, hot tubs, revolving roof top lounge, great service, bars and restaurants. Well worth the price we paid and only 5 minutes to the pier. Give it a shot.

OH MY GOSH, NOT CONFUSED ANYMORE!!!

I have just booked a totally cancellable room at the #1 hotel on "tripadvisor.com". Best Western PELICAN BEACH RESORT. I called the hotel directly and received wonderful rates. Erin, the wonderful, kind, attentive lady on the phone was more than happy to tell me exactly where to find all the pictures and info on their website and we talked about different prices and what was included with the prices. The hotel looks gorgeous and has raving reviews!

The hotel has a new part, that looks like a beautiful, white castle sitting directly on the beach! There is also an older annex building, which repeat customers seem to prefer! I highly recommend anyone that needs a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and wants to be directly on the beach, check out the website! www.pelicanbeach.com

Some of their prices were better than other quotes of hotels that people warned me away from. Research really does pay off. I'm smiling!!:)

Thanks to everyone that chatted with me on this thread. Your advise was so appreciated and so kind. I hope I can return the favour!! ;)

I'm glad you found someplace you can handle... Pelican Beach is a nice place, the new tower IS gorgeous! When the new tower opened last winter I understood they were going to refurbish the old building so hopefully that's been or will be done by the time you get down here. I'm past there at least once a week but really haven't paid any attention to the old building as I'm always too busy looking at the new tower and the progress of the new condos across the street.

Pelican Beach is at the north end of Fort Lauderdale Beach, about 15-20 minutes from Port Everglades. Keep in mind that there's nothing within walking distance of it though except condos so you will need taxis for shopping & dining.

But it's only a short cab ride to the Galleria Mall... http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/

And Las Olas Blvd... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Trents, thank you for those websites. I have bookmarked them and will read them at length. I couldn't decide between the annex with old charm, which I believe has been remodeled, or the new building. I really can't tell you how very helpful the lady (Erin) at their hotel was. After talking over all the possibilities and being quoted a price that included a welcome package (great deal), I couldn't refuse a suite in the new building with a beachfront view. Its very much like the research I do for my cruises, I know in my heart when I'm totally happy with my choices and I stop looking! Thats the feeling I have now. ;)

Front porch picture....

822367063_PelicanBeachResortVerandah_320x280.jpg.7aa21a67a27888e055c85795dd7ceeb2.jpg

Glad you found someplace that you like. It does look beautiful! Please give us a review when you return.

Funny thing is...I was on Trip Advisor today. Did you see the candid shots taken by tourist? The hotel looks like our kind of place, but we didn't want to be that far away from the action. We need someplace that is close by the port, food and water taxi because we do not get in until after 7:00 the night before the cruise. If we were staying a couple of extra days, I would stay at the PBR in a heartbeat!

BTW - Some of the reviews are not complimentary of the old building and it doesn't sound like they have all been upgraded. Best to stick with the new tower. Our hotel is #6 on Trip Advisor.

Just back from a post cruise stay at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and Spa. Right on the beach, great pool, water taxi access and $179.00 a night. I have never done priceline, but I also wanted something on the beach for less than $200.00. The room I booked was a standard room- no balcony, however when we checked in we had a beautiful room with a balcony and beds that were soooo comfortable!!!! We would of loved to stay longer!! Also many activities for the kids all day. I highly recommend this hotel.-QLOTP

Archived