Parking at Long Beach port - $15 per 24 hours or per day?

FadingRose

I am going on a 4-day cruise (Carnival Inspiration) with my family in a few weeks. It's the first time cruising for all of us so I'm doing a lot of "research" online. Does anyone know (from recent experience) if the cruise terminal parking will charge hourly increments? For example, if I park on Monday at 11am, and I leave on Friday at 1pm, will I just be charged $15 x 4 plus 2 hours (whatever the 2 hours parking rate is)? I won't be charged the full $15 for Friday, correct?

I've searched the forums and found a couple of threads from 2010 and 2011 that confirms this but I just want to make sure the info is still correct.

Our original plan was to take public transportation from Los Angeles (where we live), but that would have meant taking a municipal bus to the Metro Blue Line, to the Long Beach's Passport C. I take public transportation to work every day so we could probably manage, but my mom has knee problems so having to lug luggage around on three different bus/rails is probably not a great idea!

You are correct. Parking is $15/day (24 hrs). If you are over even by 15 minutes you will be charged.

Unless there is a problem disembarking (happened to us - gangway was broken) or the ship is late, disembarkation should be finished by 10:30.

If you are concerned about debarking in time, self debarkation would be the way to go.

If your mom has problems walking, call special needs and request a wheelchair to help with embark & disembark.

You are correct. Parking is $15/day (24 hrs). If you are over even by 15 minutes you will be charged.

If I am over 15 mins, I only get charged for those 15 mins (not the whole next day)?

We do plan to self-assist disembark...

Unless there is a problem disembarking (happened to us - gangway was broken) or the ship is late, disembarkation should be finished by 10:30.

If you are concerned about debarking in time, self debarkation would be the way to go.

If your mom has problems walking, call special needs and request a wheelchair to help with embark & disembark.

I can't imagine using a bus on a Friday, lugging luggage. Remember it's not like one of the shuttle services or flyaway buses where luggage gets stowed in a compartment in the bottom of the bus. The other riders on the bus won't appreciate you doing this, even if you each just have one suitcase (between the time to climb up the bus with your stuff and having to make room for your baggage). Plus, if your mother has mobility issues, why do this to her?

I would contact Supershuttle or Execucar (I had a major problem with PT -- they made TWO major mistakes on our booking for our 2010/11 cruise so I won't recommend them to anybody).

I can't imagine using a bus on a Friday' date=' lugging luggage. Remember it's not like one of the shuttle services or flyaway buses where luggage gets stowed in a compartment in the bottom of the bus. The other riders on the bus won't appreciate you doing this, even if you each just have one suitcase (between the time to climb up the bus with your stuff and having to make room for your baggage)..................quote']

The three of us had no problem or funny looks with using the Metro & the Red/Purple to Blue & Passport C lines with our luggage. No funny looks or people climbing over our luggage. Many others were also schlepping luggage. Mom & Sis came from the North San Fernando Valley and I came from San Bernardino for a Monday embark and a Friday debark.

Hardest part is figuring out where to park overnight. They cannot wait for the Orange Line extension. Less than $5 to get from the SFV to Long Beach!

If I am over 15 mins, I only get charged for those 15 mins (not the whole next day)?

Yep. Only the 15 minutes.

Keep your receipt out. It will be looked at again.

Thanks everyone for your replies. One less thing to worry about!

@Cruisin' Chick - if it was just me, I probably wouldn't mind. I've ridden Metro Green Line & the Purple/Red Line with a suitcase before. Of course, the Blue Line is a slightly different story!

I checked the prices for Execucar and PrimeTime (didn't check SuperShuttle yet). Because of where we live, it would cost around $80 one-way. I also checked prices for a regular ol' taxi - that would cost about $50.

@SadieN - glad to hear it can be done! Maybe if we go on another cruise in the future and are a bit more familiar with everything, we can try the public transportation method. The overnight parking thing not being close to public transportation is a bit tricky for us too - there's no overnight parking near the Blue Line, and we don't live close enough to just walk there.

I wish there were businesses in Long Beach (near downtown, or just north of it) that would have overnight parking for a fee. Like what hotels do near LAX. There are plenty of hotels and motels in that area of Long Beach (not the best area, but I grew up in that area and some hotels/motels are safer than others). Though I guess the deals where you can get a one night stay for $100 and then park for free during your cruise is a great deal anyway!

Thanks everyone for your replies. One less thing to worry about!

I wish there were businesses in Long Beach (near downtown, or just north of it) that would have overnight parking for a fee. Like what hotels do near LAX. There are plenty of hotels and motels in that area of Long Beach (not the best area, but I grew up in that area and some hotels/motels are safer than others). Though I guess the deals where you can get a one night stay for $100 and then park for free during your cruise is a great deal anyway!

We noticed office buildings in Long Beach (along the 'C' route) that had reduced $5 parking. We didn't think to check it out until we were already on the Blue Line. (enter head slap here)

Archived