Inspiration - port or starboard?

Marriedl8e

We are sailing on the Inspiration a week from tomorrow! I'm so excited!!

I have a question about how the ship ports in Ensenada and Catalina.

I know in Long Beach, the ship is ported with the starboard (right) side facing land and the port (left) side facing the ocean. But how does it port in Ensenada and Catalina?

The last few times we sailed Paradise to Ensenada and Catalina, the ship ported with the port side facing land in Ensenada and in Catalina (being a tender port) they had engines going to keep the ship in place and the port side was facing the island.

Thank you for your input.

Also - here is a little tip. I always get port and starboard confused. I'm not sure which is which. My husband recently shared a little tip with me on howto remember which is which. Port is 4 letters. Left is also 4 letters. So port is the left side of the ship. Which leaves starboard,the right side of the ship! Now if I can just REMEMBER that tip I will have no problem remembering which side is which. ;)

I have done this cruise twice when it was the Paradise. Yes it docks in Long Beach starboard to land. In Catalina you anchor and tender in. In Ensenada we docked starboard to the dock. Have a great time!

I have done this cruise twice when it was the Paradise. Yes it docks in Long Beach starboard to land. In Catalina you anchor and tender in. In Ensenada we docked starboard to the dock. Have a great time!

Thank you for your response Sylvis.

We used to always book on the starboard side because we were land side in Long Beach AND Ensenada. (This was on Paradise. This will be our first time on Inspiration.) But the last few times we were on Paradise (in 2010 and 2011) the ship was docked in Ensenada with port side facing the land. And the last time we cruised, the ship kept some thrusters going in Catalina which kept the ship positioned with the port side facing the island and the starboard side facing out to sea. This was the first time the Paradise had done that. They normal would anchor and let the ship drift around which usually allowed both sides of the ship to have the island view at least part of the time. The last time they anchored it and then had the thrusters going the whole time to keep it from drifting around.

Anyway - this time we changed to port side and I'm really hoping we didn't make a mistake. We like to people watch and enjoying watching people get on and off the ship in Ensenada from our balcony. We also enjoy having the view of Catalina from our balcony as well.

If we had booked our room on the starboard side, at least we would have the land view and ability to watch people coming on and off the ship in Long Beach. I just hope we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by changing the side of the ship and end up with 0 opportunity for people watching on the shore. :(

If anybody out there has sailed on the Inspiration recently into Ensenada & Catalina, could you share how the ship was docked (and anchored for Catalina). I guess it really doesn't matter as we sail a week from tomorrow and I am on the port side regardless of the answers I receive, but I would just like to know so I am somewhat prepared for it.

Thank you so much for your help.

On the Paradise and Elation we haved docked both Port and Starboard (aft and bow in) in Ensenada at the dock closest to the bridge.

The Inspiration was starboard (passenger side;)) to the furthest dock on both the three day and four day cruises.

One cruise we had R153 and were able to watch the longshoremen load and offload the luggage in Long Beach.

On the Paradise and Elation we haved docked both Port and Starboard (aft and bow in) in Ensenada at the dock closest to the bridge.

The Inspiration was starboard (passenger side;)) to the furthest dock on both the three day and four day cruises.

One cruise we had R153 and were able to watch the longshoremen load and offload the luggage in Long Beach.

Thanks Sadie!

It looks like I might be disappointed and have the ocean side in all the ports this trip! Too bad. :(

Was just on the 3 night Inspiration in Ensenada. Had a room on Starboard side (U111). We were pier side in Long Beach, sea side in Ensenada. Not sure if it parks the same way in Ensenada on the 4 night Catalina/Ensenada run. I think it might depend on if there is another ship in port in Ensenada.

Hi! I don't really have an answer for you but just wanted to say hello as it looks like we are on the same cruise! I am on the starboard side so we will see what will happen with that. Thanks for the question! One week and counting!

Hi! I don't really have an answer for you but just wanted to say hello as it looks like we are on the same cruise! I am on the starboard side so we will see what will happen with that. Thanks for the question! One week and counting!
Enjoy yourselves! And tell

Monika (the ATD hostess) that Cheri from the Jan cruise said Hi!

Was just on the 3 night Inspiration in Ensenada. Had a room on Starboard side (U111). We were pier side in Long Beach, sea side in Ensenada. Not sure if it parks the same way in Ensenada on the 4 night Catalina/Ensenada run. I think it might depend on if there is another ship in port in Ensenada.

Woo hoo!! Thank you MszKitty!! It looks like I might be able to "people watch" in Ensenada after all. I hope it parks the same on the 4 night!! Fingers crossed!!! :)

Hi Danalyn6469. I look forward to sailing with you!! Well on the Starboard side you know FOR SURE you will have the land side view in Long Beach if nothing else. It's always fun watching the people board the ship and we also like to watch them load the luggage into the ship. See you soon!! :cool:

Also everyone - please excuse my multiple responses - I'm not sure how to do multiple quote responses in one post.

Thanks for all your comments!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I just got home from the 4-day cruise on the Inspiration today. So I am going to answer my own question, for anyone else who might be interested.

The beautiful picture from usnooze was EXACTLY how we were in Catalina on Tuesday 03/20/12. The ship's port side was facing the island of Catalina and the starboard side was facing out to sea.

On the day in Ensenada (03/21/12) the port side was facing land (and the shops there in the port) and the starboard side was facing the water side.

Now, this is not to say it is this way EVERY time the Inspiration is out on the 4-day cruises, but this is how it was on our cruise, and I was THRILLED I picked the best side of the ship to be on to be able to people watch in Catalina and Ensenada. :D

Archived